Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here know about \ ever year of a 9mm pistol; SKYY Model CPX-1?

FOM showed it listed for $229.00 for either blued or Two Toned Stainless \ Polmer.

·
Super Moderator
24,786 Posts
Had two, both were returned to the factory several times for their lifetime warranty repairs, and then sold with full disclosure. They were never reliable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one. I haven't had any problems with it. The saftey doesn't function well but they have a fix for it that just removes/locks the safety. It's a DAO with a long trigger pull so not having a manuel safety is fine. It's a low cost low end gun. I like the size, it conceals well. As I said mine hasn't had any problems but I've heard a lot of people who did have problems. At least there is a lifetime warrenty regardless of owner. If you get one, the safety fix is a must.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have one. (SCCY) I did remove the safety so it now sets up like a glock. I have a few hundred rounds through it. I carry it often and trust it with my life. The size is perfect. I have the two tone by the way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know this is going to sound negative... but there are SO MANY reasonably priced choices in compact carry pistols - why in the world would anyone roll the dice on a weapon with such a terrible track record of reliability?

I admit I have never shot one, but I have held one. And that experience in no way inspired confidence in this pistol. It screams cheap throwdown gun.

Perhaps a Bersa, or a PF9/PF11.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Go ask the same question on the Kel Tec board. KTOG.
What Danimal is eluding to is the "Skyy" (now sccy because of patient infringement on Skyy Vodka) Is a poorly made version of the Kel-Tec P-11. On KTOG the VP of Skyy claimed to be a customer of said company and bashed K-T for quality. Better than going to ktog.org take a look at their own forum HERE and see what complaints you see.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
24,786 Posts
Personally, I liked the size and ergonomics of the Sccy, but having two of them fail repeatedly just prevented me from ever having any confidence in them as a defensive arm.

The failures ran the gamut of the Sccy failure history. Sccy even ended up sending me two brand new ones to replace the old ones.

Spend some time over here at: SCCY Forum :: Log in before you make a decision.

BTW, the Kel-Tec whiners never bothered me. IMHO, who cares, and every firearm has something copied from a predecessor. Big deal. Not.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
My buddy bought one new and asked me to take it to the range when I was going. I had numerous issues with feeding and ejecting in the first mag. I gave it back to him and he took it apart and found a small sharp burr on the ejector that was heavily scratching the shell casing. He took a small file and filed it smooth and filed another place that wasn't quite machined flush and then it worked fine. The ergonomics of the squared off frame were a little rough on the upper web of the hand. It may function flawlessly from now on, but the average person can't fix basic machining issues themselves. Was it worth the $220 he paid for it...probably. Would I buy one and carry it? Probably not. JMHO.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased one for use as my first carry gun. I have bad hands due to diabetes complications and the cpx-1 was one of the few guns that I am able to operate easily. I do not yet have my ccw permit, but am hoping to get into a class soon.

Landor, where did you obtain the holster for your CPX-1? I purchased a universal nylon inside the pant holster as it was the only thing I could find locally.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have one. Mine is about 3 years old. I have over 1000 rounds through it with no problems except the safety. That's a must to get fixed. Since it's a DA only, the safety is redundant and not necessary, in my opinion. Older models had some problems with cracked frames. Mine is a newer version (can't remember the first two digits of serial number, and it's too dang cold to go out to the truck and look). I've been using it as a back up, and it pretty much stays locked in the truck.

You'll hear a lot of good and bad. Asking open questions on a forum like this will get you many varied answers. Those who have experienced no problems will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. Those who have problems will tell you it's a piece of junk, and about anything in between.

I can only speak from my experience. I've fed it a mixture of ammo from Wolf to Blazer to Federal Hydra Shok. I've not had a failure yet. Right now, I'm feeding it reloads for range rounds. No problems. I shoot it at lease once a month - 50 or so rounds. 50 is about all I can handle before my hand feels like it was slammed with a hammer. It's a light gun, and not meant for extended shooting. Would I bet my life on it? Yeah, considering I've had no problems to date.

I cannot speak to customer service since I've never had to use it.

Would I buy another one? Probably. As someone else stated, there are a lot of guns out there under $300 - $350 that have a better reputation (and a few that have a worse reputation), but all-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I would not consider it particularly "pretty" and the finish could be a little smoother - more rounded corners etc. It's very concealable, and comfortable to carry - depending upon the weather and my clothing, I sometimes carry it instead of my 1911.

Hope that helps a little, and is a better response than "it's great" or "it's a piece of crap."

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
They are located a few miles from the gunshop where I work. I have never seen one with an intact safety. I have seen a few with catastrophic failures including cracked slides and frames. One of those caused flying metal parts on the range. Not for me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I looked at one but after reviews and various forums I decided not to buy. It does look and feel like a KT P11 knock off, I rather have my HIPOINT!

Oh no, here we go!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have one. Mine is about 3 years old. I have over 1000 rounds through it with no problems except the safety. That's a must to get fixed. Since it's a DA only, the safety is redundant and not necessary, in my opinion. Older models had some problems with cracked frames. Mine is a newer version (can't remember the first two digits of serial number, and it's too dang cold to go out to the truck and look). I've been using it as a back up, and it pretty much stays locked in the truck.

You'll hear a lot of good and bad. Asking open questions on a forum like this will get you many varied answers. Those who have experienced no problems will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. Those who have problems will tell you it's a piece of junk, and about anything in between.

I can only speak from my experience. I've fed it a mixture of ammo from Wolf to Blazer to Federal Hydra Shok. I've not had a failure yet. Right now, I'm feeding it reloads for range rounds. No problems. I shoot it at lease once a month - 50 or so rounds. 50 is about all I can handle before my hand feels like it was slammed with a hammer. It's a light gun, and not meant for extended shooting. Would I bet my life on it? Yeah, considering I've had no problems to date...

"snip"

...Hope that helps a little, and is a better response than "it's great" or "it's a piece of crap."
+1 with me as well.

I've also owned my CPX-1 for three years, put about 800 rounds through the gun and I've never had a problem. OTOH, my son got one (he was impressed with my gun, especially for the price) two years ago and had to return it to the factory twice for MAJOR problems. Eventually, SKYY/SCCY just sent him a new pistol. From what I've seen/read, most of the guns work fine out of the box and never have a problem, but there's that 10% that never seem to work right no matter what you do to them. If you can fire a CPX 100-200 times and don't experience a malfunction, you probably never will. OTOH you may get one of the 10% that are lemons. All I can say is shoot one and if it works, keep it. If you have any problems with a CPX, get rid of it

·
Registered
486 Posts
Keltec PF-9 is not a cheap throw down gun !!! :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: :argue:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tried to shoot one

My brother in law bought one used from a co-worker and let me try to shoot it one day. I put a full mag in, racked the slide, took aim, and Bang. Pulled the trigger for the second shot, and it didnt reset. I looked and noticed that the saftey was on after the first shot. Clicked the saftey off, pulled the trigger, and nothing. Racked the slide, fresh round ejected and another live round chambered, pulled the trigger, again nothing. I dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and handed it back to him voicing my opinion of his new firearm. He laughes and said that he placed bets with our other shooting partner that I would only get one shot off. Worst $50 that he ever spent.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts