·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Year ago I was getting ready to go outside
and practice shooting on my land with my
Feather 9mm rifle. I shouldnt have but I put
the mag in the gun and went to chamber a
round while still inside my house BANG! BANG!
Little did I know the firing pin was stuck and protruding
out far enough to discharge the bullet when I chambered it
(Slam Fire) the recoil from the first round firing chambered the 2nd round and the 2nd round discharged as well. I was in the basement
and it put 2 rounds in the wall facing the outside of the house missing one of my guitars by several inches.
Lessons Learned:
never load a gun until you are ready to shoot it at the target.
keep guns pointed in a safe direction. In this case it was but made
me always remember how important that really is.
Note: the safety was on and finger was not inside trigger guard.
I sent the gun back to the factory and they fixed the problem at no
charge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lessons Learned:
keep guns pointed in a safe direction.
Your second point is right on. Always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction. However, you're wrong about your first point, because I, along with every other LEO and CC'er in the country, chamber a round before I step out of the house. Sounds like you just had a bad day with a crappy gun.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep. Glad no one else bought that gun
and got hurt with it. I paid around $800
for it too. Dont always get what you pay for
I guess but gun works great now. My first point
was just about target shooting not LE or Carry

·
Registered
45 Posts
yep. Glad no one else bought that gun
and got hurt with it. I paid around $800
for it too. Dont always get what you pay for
I guess but gun works great now. My first point
was just about target shooting not LE or Carry
But still, at the range or at home it doesn't matter where you load up doesn't matter, but as long as you have your weapon in a safe direction no one will get hurt..........probably. :embarassed:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This is why muzzle control is the most important safety rule. When a bullet is fired, it cannot be recalled. We never know when a mechanical failure will occur. Great reminder to us all to keep firearms clean and perform safety checks frequently. Thanks for posting your experience.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Lessons Learned:
keep guns pointed in a safe direction. In this case it was but made
me always remember how important that really is.
Amen to that! People tend to get complacent from time to time. Nobody wants a reminder like that.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my Para C-6. I was preparing to clean it, had removed the magazine and was going to eject the chambered round. When I pulled the slide back, I lost my grip on it and it slammed forward, discharging the chambered round. Put a nice hole in the ceiling.
I checked the casing and it had a barely noticable imprint on the primer, but apparently this was enough to discharge it.
The local gunsmith said the firing pin was rough and lodged partially past the hole. He gave the pin a super fine polishing and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Your second point is right on. Always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction. However, you're wrong about your first point, because I, along with every other LEO and CC'er in the country, chamber a round before I step out of the house. Sounds like you just had a bad day with a crappy gun.
Amen to this..

Crappy thing to happen.. I think about this every time I chamber or eject a live round... sorta a bad feeling, but needed to be done... Keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe place is all we can do..

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have never had this happen to me, but after having an ND when I was in high school w/ a 357 and thinking that I killed my neighbor, (condo), I am extremely cautious whenever I am chambering a round or whenever I am handling my guns. It only takes one time and life is irrevocably changed. Thank God in my case no one was home in any of the units when this happened, as the round went through 5 walls and stopped in the roof. It is still there to this day.

You cannot predict accidents or malfunctions, but you can be prepared and always maintain muzzle safety. Keep your guns clean and lubed and do as you did, keep it pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Almost had a similar incident myself with a davis .380, if I hadnt spotted the firing pin out I would have done a full auto burst out of a very unfriendly pistol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts