Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had my eyes opened. I've seen (and read) what can't be unseen. I had heard the rumors, but I guess I just had to learn for myself.

A few weeks ago, I joined a few brand specific gun forums on Facebook, mostly in an effort to learn more about the P320's I've been buying up. I quickly discovered I've been in a bit of a walled garden here at Defensive Carry. For almost four years, I've been surrounded by sensible people having educational discussions about all things guns. Out in the wild as I'll call it, it's a very, very different world.

The first thing I found was that everyone wants a weapon mounted light. Like, it's not even optional. There's almost no logic behind it either. Posts talking about how nice and light a P320 or Glock is, but then you add the weight back right away. Questions like "Which light looks the coolest?" Get dozens of responses. My question about training methods for real world scenarios got 4-5 responses, and a couple of them just called me a troll. And these guns with WML's are all carried AIWB in the latest kydex creation. Leather is never an option If you carry on your hip, you are assumed to be old and out of touch with what the best way to carry is.

Next I discovered flat triggers. There really are only two for the P320 that are considered worthy of use. Either way you choose, you must defend your choice sometimes. I swear the bickering over which is better rival any caliber war or 1911 Vs Glock thread I've ever seen. And they seem to be able to fix any problem you may have with the gun. Aim not quite right? Get a flat trigger. Stock trigger pull just too heavy to manage? Get a flat trigger. Having trouble in the bedroom? Get a flat trigger. Yes the flat trigger, whether Gray Guns or Apex, is the cure all for what ails you. For some reason though, the flat trigger craze hasn't caught on with Glocks. But they are hung up on $200+ competition trigger systems in carry guns for people that have never picked up a pistol in their life.

The level of modification being put into slides and frames is beyond comprehension to me. Red dots on carry guns, again by people who have never shot or carried a gun. Aggressive stippling, even on parts of the gun that the hands never touch. It doesn't matter how much it chews up your hand as long as it looks sweet. Then there's the exotic slide milling. Even when Bruce Gray of Gray Guns says it shouldn't be done. He will explain very clearly that a P320 shouldn't be milled. That Sig put a ton of effort into weight reduction (it's obvious when you look at the inside of the slide) and further reduction causes cycling issues. So much so that Sig had to redesign the slides to fix some issues. A guy will thank him for his insight, tell him how respected he is, then promptly remove 3oz of material in the name of aesthetics.

Outside of this site is a world where your pistol is as more a fashion statement, even though the goal is to keep it hidden away from the world, than it is a tool to potentially save your life. I now know how lucky I am to have found DC so early in my education of all things gun.

I humbly say, thank you.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Good thing I never installed that flat trigger on my 320 lol. Still have it sitting in the box if you want to be a cool kid.
I carry mine is a James Nelson Stealth so I guess my chances of being cool have passed me by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
This reminds me of something I saw a few years ago.

I was working a collection/assistance visit in the Ukraine with US, Brit, Lithuanian, and Canadian forces training Ukrainians in prep for their dealings with the separatists and Russians. One weekend I got to go into the nearby city of Lviv and did the normal "tourist" type stuff. One of the stops was the cities armory, which had been turned into a museum housing weapons from sometime in AD to after WW2. There was all sorts of "stuff"; daggers, swords, battle axes, pikes, to pistols, muskets, rifled muzzle-loaders, etc. etc.. What was kind of cool (and the point to my post) was the amount of ornate engraving, carving etc. on some of them. They were for the most part tools, but were modified to make them more to someone's liking. Kind of like: "this is my dagger, there are many like it, but......"

Seems like guys have been making weapons "their own" through modification of some kind since there have been weapons. I have no doubt at some point there was a couple cavemen poking fun at some other cave man for scratching marks on his club, probably grunting the equivalent of "he aught to spend his time on club training". As for modifications, I don't see any harm in it, but then again I don't get wrapped around the axle on how someone else spends their money.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
I've recently had my eyes opened. I've seen (and read) what can't be unseen. I had heard the rumors, but I guess I just had to learn for myself.
It's wild out there in internet land. And to think, the feds are monitoring all of it. :lolp:

Having trouble in the bedroom? Get a flat trigger.
Might that make one too quick on the trigger? :rofl: I think I might need to go to a corner now........... :rolleyes:

I have no doubt at some point there was a couple cavemen poking fun at some other cave man for scratching marks on his club, probably grunting the equivalent of "he aught to spend his time on club training".
They serve as talismans, Chuck. You're right, we always want to make our mark.

Truth be told, it's the members that make DC great. Really.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Great initial post in the thread you opened, Ianthin! Full of brilliant observation and wit.

Hey, thanks for the warning. I've always thought I was really branching out from what I like and from my narrow, geezerly outlook on what are appropriate firearms, by being all "high-tech and everything" for looking in on Defensive Carry Forum which I've always considered the cutting edge of current thought in the firearms, especially the defensive handgun world. This is where I come to keep up. These forums you describe apparently take trendy to the next level, to that of poseur on steroids.

Flat triggers for what ails ya'. Who'd a thunk it?!!!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Taking cover behind the DC ramparts is one of the reasons I've...been here so LONG! Some folks look at guns as personalized jewelry. Most DC folks look at guns as simply an effective method to...KEEP their jewelry. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
That'd be a dandy forum, Dan!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Indeed, I've always considered myself a bit of a Luddite!

Truth is, the tendency toward dilettantism seen in the focus on gear, as opposed to improving ability, can be seen in other areas of life as well. It is rampant in the music industry for example, with players trying to purchase their way to better playing (or singing) when that money would be better spent on lessons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts