41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
920 Posts
My training involved racking the slide back and releasing it, not using the slide stop. This gives the slide a slightly longer run and fully compresses the recoil spring for positive feeding from the magazine.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
My training involved racking the slide back and releasing it........
My training (and Gramps, since we went to schools together) required us to reload before slide lock. Or we were DONE....at least with that exercise! I also know that in the heat of battle one is not always able to keep count of the number of shots, and slide lock "happens." I HATE IT when it happens to me in a competition, though!

Back to the OP's video: With one exception I slingshot the slide.

(That exception is my Ruger Mark IV Lite because unless my adrenaline is really flowing fast and furious I cannot pull the bolt back to release it and load a round from a new magazine. It's not a carry gun anyway, and with the way it sometimes still refuses to work properly after much time, returns to Ruger, and after market parts, it's not a competition gun either. It is a too expensive plinker.)

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Off hand no messy around with slide lock or decocker but I'm thumb over thumb so what do I know.

Plus, I may need my off hand for a parry or a grab or a push off or to fix my undies.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
My training involved racking the slide back and releasing it, not using the slide stop. This gives the slide a slightly longer run and fully compresses the recoil spring for positive feeding from the magazine.
Depends on the pistol. A 1911 is already all the way back, I use the slide stop/release on my Glock and it works fine.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
While he does make some good points, I virtually never release a slide via the slide stop when practicing reloads. I use the over hand method where my support hand runs the magazine home then rolls up and over the slide to pull it back and release it. This method works the best for me and has never failed me.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts