Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a sling for my rifle. What would be a somewhat economical option? I have spent enough money that I don't need to be spending $70 or $80 for the better slings.

And also, what would be the best way for attachment to the handguard? See the pics of my setup. I probably wouldn't be lucky enough that the round holes on the side of the handguard would be just right for the quick disconnect swivels, would I? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My favorite AR16 slings are the CFG VTAC, 2 PT quick adjust:

Standard AR15, IMHO you won't need a padded sling. I've got 3 of the above and they just work. I've also got the MAGPUL MS4 sling, which quick converts top s single point, for women and those men that don't value the ability to reproduce::)

That FF is set up for this sling swivel:

IF you're running a MAGPUL stock, odds are it's got an attachment point for the same style swivel on the stock.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....IF you're running a MAGPUL stock, odds are it's got an attachment point for the same style swivel on the stock.
It's a Magpul, but I don't think it has a round hole for that type of swivel. I think I just have to use the slot.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I have used a couple of these on shotguns, but they would work on an AR as well. Now please understand these are inexpensive and not name brand (probably Chinese), but they are strong enough to pull a car around and the only problem is waiting for them to be back in stock. I don't know of any other really inexpensive ones that work.

Everything else is in the $80 range - like the Vickers above. Unfortunately, when you need to depend on it, Vickers, Magpul, or Blue Force are best.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I use magpul slings on my rifles. My 6920 has an ms1 that attaches at the end of the handguard near the gas block and on the buttstock.

I also have another magpul sling that can be ran as either a single point or a 2 point. I have it connected on one end of the handguard near the receiver, and the other end connects to either the receiver backplate or the arm brace depending whether it’s on my pistol or SBR lower.

only difference in the slings is the ability of one to be ran as single point. My favorite of all my options is having it connected one the receiver backplate and on the handguard as close to the receiver as possible.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yup, you're going to have to go through the slot or adapt with something like this:

I've got one gun that I had to go through the slot, not a show stopper by any means as long as I have a QD mount on the forearm. The QDs' just make it easier for cleaning etc.

Another cheaper, but quality 2PT quick adjust sling that I've been playing with:

I've got 2 of them on hunting rifles, well made and won't break the bank.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Best doing I have found is a "West Lake Wide Padded Quick Adjust 2 Point Rifle Sling "
It's built like the vtac sling but cheaper and to me works better.
I own 1 vtac and 9 west lake slings.
Only thing I don't like is I believe it's China made. But it is around $20
It is a very good sling.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Oh and if you do get the fast disconnects get good ones don't use the ones that come with that sling.
You use cheap ones and your disconnect will fall apart.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have black US GI web slings on my AR platform guns.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I use a Magpul ms4 , typically in the two point configuration. Quick adjusting feature is a excellent option.

Reactions: Fallsrider

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
A sling is a holster for your rifle, get a good one. 2 point is the way to go, I prefer a quick adjust to cinch the rifle tight when doing other tasks.

I’m running Blue Force Vickers on all of my Carbines and a .300 Black brace gun. There are many similar options from other reputable companies. Will Petty’s sling looks good, if I were in the market I would try that one.

Personally, I prefer a qd point far forward on the rail and the rear qd attached on the rear of the receiver.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but a quality sling with attachments is going to run $70 or more. By the time I buy a sling and the QD swivels I have usually spent about $85. As much as I hate dishing out that kind of money for a sling, it is worth it. If you take enough carbine and shotgun classes, you will notice that the lower cost slings tend to not work well or fail altogether. My personal recommendation is the Magpul MS1 with either BCM or Magpul QD Swivels installed.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
The Vickers definitely gets a lot of recommendations.
I started with a single point sling and immediately realized it was a poor solution at best. I have VCAS slings on my AR15, my Sig MPX, my Barrett AR10, and my Ruger Rimfire.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I wanted a sling and I tried a single point sling first. While adjusting/playing with it I dropped the rifle on purpose to see what it would do if I accidentally dropped it. Big mistake, it swung down and hit my knee at what felt like 100mph. When I could see straight, I removed the single point sling, stuffed it in a box and never touched it again. Talk about a fight stopper. Imagine if it hit other sensitive areas.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you're looking for a basic, useful sling, go with the Proctor sling. It doesnt need any hardware to attach to the rifle, is incredibly light and compact, and is just a great all around product.

Also have a Blue Force Gear sling with QD mounts, but its much bulkier, larger, heavier, and more expensive. The Proctor sling is hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Keep It Simple Stupid.

A strong, 2 point web sling is all you need. The Amazon link Old Chap provided looks fine. Watch videos on how to properly use a 2 point to transport, shoot, and transition your rifle. A 2 point does it all. Seriously. Skip right past the single point and any conversion options.

You need an Mlok quick detach on the handguard in front of your support hand. Put a QD swivel on it and feed your webbing through that.

Attach the other end however you want to the stock. QD, or fed through the slot. This is the proper rear attachment to use a 2 point sling.

If you properly size your sling, you won't need quick adjustments. It is set for movement at the ready, transporting, and transitioning to a sidearm. If you are going to cinch into the sling for a steadied shot, you aren't in a rush.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts