Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reasonably priced quality sling for my AR's. I would like to get the same sling for all 3 of my AR's so that they all feel and carry the same. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Gee, I just use a nice simple sling.

The nylon one that came with my Colt 6920 is all I use. I taped it with black elctrical tape to keep it from shifting once I sized it to me. I toyed with the idea of a "tacticool" sling, but don't see the need. I have mine situated to carry my rifle across my chest, and what I really like is:

It's simple and it works!

Biker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carried M4s for years, and find the single point the most practical setup. It can be adapted to body armor, and transitions quickly. You can go with an expensive setup, or just a regular setup. It depends on what you like, honestly.

What type of buttstocks do you have? A2 standard, M4....?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a preference for two-point slings myself. I've had to use three-points before and find that they are more trouble than they are worth. Single points are pretty good too but you'll have to figure out what your needs are before you decide. The reason I usually go with two-points is because I can sling them in front or behind me and still be able to shoulder my weapon quickly or transition to a pistol fairly quickly. I have a padded Blue Force Vickers which I like, I've also heard good things about the Viking 2-point slings. If you are going to be carrying for long periods I'd go with a padded sling. Another good thing to look for if you are going to use QD swivels is to get one of the sockets that limits rotation so they can't twist up the sling, I know that DD and MI make one, not sure if anybody else does. I hope that helped, good luck.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I used both a single point and two-point sling on my M4 in Afghanistan....mostly used the two-point day-to-day....single point when doing PSD-type missions...easier to transition left hand and right hand. Personal preference.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Sling

I made a single point convertable for less than $10. I used a Brownell's attachment plate for the rear of the gun (M4 style) More expensive than the sling itself. I put a buckle on the front swivel so it can be used as a carry strap, too. It's got a buckle in the middle so it can be broken completely away if you need to. I'll send a pic if you want.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a single point convertable for less than $10. I used a Brownell's attachment plate for the rear of the gun (M4 style) More expensive than the sling itself. I put a buckle on the front swivel so it can be used as a carry strap, too. It's got a buckle in the middle so it can be broken completely away if you need to. I'll send a pic if you want.
Sure, send a photo. I like to do things on the cheap if I can.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I look at a sling as a holster for my carbine. I find the single point sling the simplest and essayist to use.

Lots of different manufacturers out there to choose from.

·
Registered
156 Posts
M16 TACTICAL SLING

This is what we use in the Corps. I've got three of them at home that I've been able to use on all my rifles, with a little modification. Used them in Africa and Iraq. No complaints. Heckuva price, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 for the Viking tactical sling. I have the padded version and use it for everything from duck hunting, squirrel hunting with .22, to shooting my AK. Best and last sling i have ever owned. there is a demonstration video on youtube that will show the basic use of it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Why do you want a sling? There are two choices: (1) you want to carry your rifle more easily, or (2) you want to shoot better.

I bought my first sling before I knew the difference, so I ended up with a Viking VTAC. It's an excellent carry sling that provides some shooting stability in the standing position.

After taking an Appleseed clinic, though, I bought a half-dozen USGI web slings, because I decided I liked shooting my rifle more than carrying it. A good web sling (or leather marksman's sling if you want to go that route) is probably the best single performance accessory you can buy for your rifle.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Another +1 for VTAC and Blue Force gear. For me, a single point gives too little "control" of the weapon when you need both hands for other tasks - I end up getting my kneed whacked into oblivion. The three point has some unnecessary material than can get in the way of your controls and/or just get in the way. The two point is the best compromise for me.

As others have said, though, if you're going to shoot a lot and carry a little, it may not be the best option. I carry a lot and shoot a (relative) little, so comfort and control during activities other than shooting (as well as when shooting) are very important.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts