Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am having a hard time adjusting to carrying my S&W M&P 9c after packing my LCP in a CrossBreed Microtuck for the past year. I had decided that moving up to the more powerful 9 was the best decision, more ammo, more accurate and I am definitely more comfortable shooting it. I ordered a CrossBreed Supertuck because my MicroTuck was great and the reviews are overwhelming. Here's my problem, I'm 5'9, 140-ish lbs with a 29" waist. I have had my weight up to 160 one summer while lifting a lot and my waist was still 29". I'm certainly not complaining about that, however it's making adapting to the 9 quite difficult. I've worn the CB/9 for a week to allow some break in and have even adjusted the cant to fix the problem. It's very uncomfortable to wear and I know it will never be comfortable, but sitting or driving is ridiculous and I find myself not wanting to wear it. I feel like it's printing constantly (though it's not THAT bad)! I've moved it between 3:00 and about 4:30 to see what works. Maybe more cant? Any advice from smaller guys out there? Even with my larger button-down shirts and a jacket I feel like it is very obvious when I bend over slightly. My LCP has spoiled me I think:rolleyes: The CB is about as good as it gets for IWB, so I'm not blaming the holster.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm a lot shorter than you (5'1" and 135) and I could never get comfortable with my Glock 27, which seems to have the same dimensions as your S&W. I eventually bought a Kahr MK9 and carried that for years in a Blade-Tech S.O.B. holster. It was much more comfortable, but still too heavy.

I ended up buying a Kahr PM9 and am using the Crossbreed Minituck. It's the first IWB holster that I really like. The Supertuck seemed much too big for me, but the Minituck is the perfect size, since I have a 30" waist. I wear it at 4:30-5:00.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have solved my own problem....4:30, set real low, major cant. See how it does in the car!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You can do it... It's just that you started carrying a pocket gun and now a subcompact gun seems terribly large... if your shoulders are bigger than your waist you'll actually have an easier time concealing than one of us with a larger waist...

Just give it some time and remember...a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hang in there man, I am 5'11" 170 with a 32 waist, but I used to be more like 145 with IIRC 28, 29 or 30 waist (no experience carrying at that weight though). Somewhere around 26 or 27 years old my shoulders finally widened up (while working out), and some lbs. came along with that.

You may end up deciding you need a different gun and/or holster.... I sure don't feel undergunned with .38+P or .357 in a snubby.

You have a proper gun belt?

I don't own anything with major cant (most stuff available is around 22-25 degrees), but in trying to figure out what holsters to get, it seems like it would be the hot ticket in some instances.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new adjustment works great! I wore it low, strong cant and at 4:30 all day, including driving and while watching a movie. I'm very relieved that it worked out. My wife still thinks it's noticeable, but I think she's "looking" for it. I went to get coffee with just a t-shirt on and no one gave a glance. Going to try the mall tomorrow. I don't have a proper gun belt yet, been thinking about a beltman for leather and a Wilderness Instructor for the cargo shorts, it's very similar to what I normally wear anyway. I'll put some pics in the carry pics thread, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The new adjustment works great! I wore it low, strong cant and at 4:30 all day, including driving and while watching a movie. I'm very relieved that it worked out. My wife still thinks it's noticeable, but I think she's "looking" for it. I went to get coffee with just a t-shirt on and no one gave a glance. Going to try the mall tomorrow. I don't have a proper gun belt yet, been thinking about a beltman for leather and a Wilderness Instructor for the cargo shorts, it's very similar to what I normally wear anyway. I'll put some pics in the carry pics thread, thanks guys.
I'm in the same boat as you. I posted just last week with the same problems you were having and I came up with the exact same solution as you did. The gun sits at about 4:30 to get it off of my skinny side and more into the flat of my back so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. You are right on the cant and getting it lower down in your pants as well. After trying different options, I feel this is the best way to carry IWB for us skinny guys.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in the same boat as you. I posted just last week with the same problems you were having and I came up with the exact same solution as you did. The gun sits at about 4:30 to get it off of my skinny side and more into the flat of my back so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. You are right on the cant and getting it lower down in your pants as well. After trying different options, I feel this is the best way to carry IWB for us skinny guys.
Nice! Guess I should search more :twak: coulda saved a little time.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Yep! For us smaller frame types, the CB can easily feel like a man-hole cover plastered to our side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After you wear your CB for a while, you may want to trim the edges down to make it more comfortable, I am 5'10 150lbs and had a couple of spots that had a tendency to curl, trim them off, sanded down the edge and dyed the raw edge, after that I have no comfort complaints

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Biggest thing I can say is this, with enough will, planning, and trial and error you can carry what ever you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts