Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in feedback from women here or from people with real-world knowledge about discrete knife carry for women.

I have a number of small neck/defensive knives on the way. I'm trying to work with my wife, and eventually my daughters, to figure out ways for comfortable and discrete carry of a fixed-blade weapon.

First, I'm a realist. I cannot change how my daughters and wife dress, nor would I even try. My daughters and wife do not wear belts, and they will not want to open carry.

The only real option that will result in habitual carry is a small knife secured IWB by a sheath and a slim ulti clip, a neck knife (likely not acceptable to them), or a small knife secured to the bra. For the latter, I'm thinking the knife could hang from the middle bottom of the bra between the breasts (either ulti clip or loop, depending on the bra), or perhaps tucked under one the upper straps (I've seen women carry iphones in bras, so I figure a small knife in a sheath is doable).

In any one of these positions they should be able to deploy the knife quickly when either arm is held by an assailant (Once we figure out the right knife and carry position, I'll likely order an extra one, and grind off the blade to make it blunt to practice deployment).

Any women carry this way? Any other options? Anything I'm missing?

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'll not comment, other than, are there edged weapon restrictions where ya'll live? Been a couple of years since I lived there. Here in Texas, about two years ago, they "made edged weapons law a Grand Canyon of freedom"! Are "automatic's legal"?
They've really evolved the design's.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm good on the laws.

In case your are curious, in Geogia, a knife "means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than 12 inches in length which is fastened to a handle." OCGA 16-11-125.1(2). Moreover, a "weapon" means a knife or a handgun. OCGA 16-11-125.1(5).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If you’re not set on fixed blades, I recommend a Microtech UTX 70. It’s a OTF and 70% of the size of their Ultratech. I have the 85% version in a double edged dagger and love it. They offer different blade steels but all are top notch.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My daughter and I researched this while she was going to college. She had to walk a ways across campus and home at dusk.
We settled on a knife for the purse and a neck knife in a sheath that deplyed by pulling the knife down out of it's kydex sheath.Can't remember the brand.
Other considerations were tactical pens , key chain knives and key chain knuckelweapons, boot knives.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you’re not set on fixed blades, I recommend a Microtech UTX 70. It’s a OTF and 70% of the size of their Ultratech. I have the 85% version in a double edged dagger and love it. They offer different blade steels but all are top notch.
Definitely a fixed blade. The intent is for something they can grab and deploy under duress.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
My wife has a CRKT Mini Bowie and a CRKT mini fixed blade without scales. The Mini Bowie is a much better knife than I thought it would be. I think it is small for defense. Have you looked the cat head key chains? Brutal.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
How about a defensive pen? Very effective BUT any weapon is only as effective as the person using it.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update: The Owlet, pictured below, seems to be an acceptable option for my wife. She's carried it and likes it.

The configuration above is described here: CRKT Owlet - Cheap, concealable knife

Since this photo I've redone the paracord to move it up the handle, as my original paracord wrap was too far down and was interfering with the sheath. I also added some home-made jimping by use of a dremel and some cold blue. The slim 2.2 Ulit Clip can clip on to her pants (she rarely wears a belt) and the single point of attachment allows her to adjust the cant of the knife.

I may experiment with a Gibson Pinch, which is an even smaller knife (an after market sheath is coming for the Pinch). However, I think the Pinch may be too small to grip when under duress. What I like about the Owlet is that it is very concealable, does not require ordering a replacement sheath (so long as you have a dremel to relieve some of the plastic ridge for the screw mount), and has a handle that is very easy to grasp and that provides pretty good control.

This is not a heavy duty knife by any means; but it should serve the purpose of a providing a last ditch defensive weapon that is easy to conceal. A determined person could do some serious damage with even a small blade like this, which would hopefully cause an attacker looking for an easy target to break off and flee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts