Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I'm wondering what you would recommend as a small lightweight easy to carry 1911 that's also reasonably priced. 4 inch barrel max but would like slightly smaller

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Hmm, reasonably priced while still good quality I'd have to stick with some of the "micro" Kimbers or maybe a handful of Springfields. You don't say what is a reasonable price, but a decent quality 1911 in even its most basic form is going to run you about 650-700. You could look at some of the Rock Island options. They aren't the best, but they're not Llama either. For them you're probably looking at the 550 and up range as well though. 1911 options that are well made don't come too cheap.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Me not a fan of micro 1911 esp the Kimbers a few issues

The RIA seem to be ok for the money and yes some of the springers but they tend to be non cheep

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I would guess you can pick two out of the three options you listed. Most lightweight models are going to cost more than the steel version.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean by, "small lightweight easy to carry 1911 that's also reasonably priced". Smaller than a Government model? Under $1000? Under $750???

I have a full-sized Colt 1911, and a Combat Commander, but neither qualifies as particularly lightweight. Big fan of the CCO-size 1911, though, and I think the Sig C3 is a lotta bang for the buck. The Colt lightweight Commander is a great choice, too, and is on my 'want list'.

There are several Dan Wessons that would be a great choice, but they're not exactly budget-priced! I've just closed the deal on an ECO, but I still covet a CCO!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Me not a fan of micro 1911 esp the Kimbers a few issues

The RIA seem to be ok for the money and yes some of the springers but they tend to be non cheep
Well, there wasn't much to go on and Kimbers seem okay to half the people and not okay to the other half. Could look into the Sig 938. It's 1911-ish and about as cheap as you're going to get for that platform.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought aSpringfield RO 5" for range fun, my 1st 1911. It like it so much that I added a RO light weight Compact (CCO size) which I do plan to carry... in fact I just bought a VM2 for it.

All happened within the past 3 weeks !!! BTW, Springfield has a free-4 mags going on until June.

A Sig 938 has been my edc for 2 years, and I occasionally carry a CZ PCR. Both are keepers and have their place. Somehow I am more attracted to 1911!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Everyone wants quality, but don't want to pay for it......

If you want a 1911, lightweight and compact, you are going to pay for it.

If you want a cheap, lightweight .45, buy a Glock 30s.

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
I would guess you can pick two out of the three options you listed. Most lightweight models are going to cost more than the steel version.
That's what I used to tell my clients when I worked as a consultant and they wanted my work fast, good, and cheap. I always said they could have any two out of the three requests.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
If I Was looking to buy another 1911 compact I would look for a bob tail grip.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No problem with fast food as long as proper expectation is set as we walk in. We all sometimes enjoy candle light dinners, and sometimes Wendy's or McDonald's.. or anything in between. Actually I quite enjoy those 'Famous Dave' burgers and fillet O' Fish!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Define "affordable".

Because I think a Dan Wesson ECO, or a Colt New Agent/Defender fit the bill perfectly

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
The shorter the barrel, the more quality is required in my opinion. Once you go shorter than a 4" barrel on a 1911 you can run into feed issues. My 3 1/2" 1991A1 has always run fine. I had a 3" Para that I never trusted and the guy who bought it was a Para freak and found the issues with that model to be expected and endearing. Folks are funny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ruger makes an alloy frame version of there Commander size .45.

Honestly you have ruled out a 1911 with your requirements of small, light and cheap. I'm a very big fan of 1911 pattern handguns but none of them fits any part of the description that you gave.

Browning makes a .380 in the 1911 pattern. Current Production Here is a link to it.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Browning 1911-380.
It's light (polymer composite frame). It's small (85% the size of a regular 1911). The safeties and controls are like a 1911. It shoots .380, which is a light bullet compared to a magazine full of 45acp. It's reasonably priced when compared to other 1911's.
And most importantly, if/when you decide it's not for you, I'm kind of looking for one :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Depends on what you consider affordable...

Small and "affordable" is easy - RIA. Not lightweight though. Even then the one you really want is every bit of $500.

BadBob mentioned the Ruger LW Commander...that just might be the most affordable LW 1911 going right now but it will still set you back $650? or so at least. IMO Ruger makes a $700 pistol that looks like a $1000 pistol - lots of value there.

Colt Defender is a great option - I believe its actually the lightest 1911 out there 24oz or something? Its gonna run $900-$1000.

I just went through all this research etc myself - I went with the Springfield EMP 9mm. Beautiful pistol, flawless 150 down the pipe so far, insanely accurate and perfectly compact. Its one of the most expensive though - I got it for $980 on sale but I've seen it as high as $1200.

The truth is a compact and lightweight 1911 is gonna cost you. No getting around it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts