Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice. If you stumble, or are pushed onto your back during any physical confrontation, there is a chance that your spine will be pushed against the weapon of choice with a great deal of force. Force enough to break a vertebra or injure your spine in some other way. And I’m not just talking out my rear...was a police officer for 36 years and have personally observed 2 incidents where the plainclothes officers carrying in that manner were injured badly enough that they were forced to take a disability retirement. One of the two also wound up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
There are just better and definitely safer ways to conceal a weapon.
Cheers,
Lunger

“Well…..there’s only one fight.”
David L. (Bigfoot) Green
Deputy Sheriff 1976-2010 Ret.

·
Registered
Various
15,488 Posts
When I got my first carry permit in 1992, I bought a SOB holster for my S&W 640 .357 magnum. All good detectives on television carry that way. My first carry was to a steakhouse with my wife. The hostess took us to a booth with high-back wood bench seats. I swung in to sit down and there was a loud clunk and a sharp pain in my lower back. That was the only time I ever wore that holster. It was the first of many holsters in the proverbial slightly used holster box.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I keep seeing posts about both firearms and knives, talking about small of back concealed carry. IMHO it is an extremely dangerous practice. If you stumble, or are pushed onto your back during any physical confrontation, there is a chance that your spine will be pushed against the weapon of choice with a great deal of force. Force enough to break a vertebra or injure your spine in some other way. And I’m not just talking out my rear...was a police officer for 36 years and have personally observed 2 incidents where the plainclothes officers carrying in that manner were injured badly enough that they were forced to take a disability retirement. One of the two also wound up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
Cheers,
Lunger

David L. (Bigfoot) Green
Who's posting promoting small of the back carry??? Are you cheating on us with other forums??

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
Cheers,
Lunger

David L. (Bigfoot) Green
Then don't do it.

Personally, I think that problem is over hyped. More old people like me break hips falling than spines. My issue is my shoulders won't let me reach back there, too awkward, but as far as back injury, if I'm knocked on my back, I'm already in deep doo. I'd bet more guys have shot their gnads off appendix carrying than broken backs carrying behind the back.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Then don't do it.

Personally, I think that problem is over hyped. More old people like me break hips falling than spines. My issue is my shoulders won't let me reach back there, too awkward, but as far as back injury, if I'm knocked on my back, I'm already in deep doo. I'd bet more guys have shot their gnads off appendix carrying than broken backs carrying behind the back.
I know this thread is about sob carry, but I don't understand appendix carry either due to the possibility mentioned above, especially when seated. Maybe someone else can start another thread listing the pros and cons of appendix carry.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I use sob occasionally , it has its place/use for me , I can not remember the last time I have fallen, as for being physically attacked and put directly onto my back , not likely...if attacked/blindsided the likely direction of my decent will be face first ...

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Forget the risk of injury. It's just a position that requires too much in the way of complex and difficult movement for presenting a pistol to make it logical for consideration. The best that can be said for it is that it looks cute in the movies.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Mel Gibson made it look easy in Lethal Weapon drawing his Beretta 92 from the SOB.

Its not.

ts clumsy and try re-holstering....go ahead. Dare you to try it.....without taking off your pants and starting over.
Ride in a car for a period of time with that gun pressing against your back....the entire trip. Just awful. No thanks.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
But it's soooo cool in the movies.

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Then don't do it.

I completely agree...over hyped and and an individual decision to carry in ANY way.

This 'concern' of spine injuries because of SoB carry is a non-issue, IMHO. Please post all the stories of those spine injuries, I'm anxious to read them.
With a firearm at 3 o'clock...print out those hip injuries, too.

I carry SoB with a palm out grasp from time to time, but the holster is between my spine and kidney, and not directly on the spine. I have no trouble drawing the weapon or sitting in chairs or my car in complete comfort. It's always under an untucked shirt and invisible to others.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: Pete63 and Instymp

·
Registered
36 Posts
You could always tell Scout Car coppers because they never had anything in their back pockets or on the back of their gun belts.
It wasn't about looking cool it was about practical considerations of comfort while seated in the car.

Coppers who walked a foot beat had back pockets full of parking ticket books and other necessary stuff that was otherwise carried in the Scout Car.
Blank reports and hot sheets were carried in our caps. Scout Car coppers had night stick rings on their gun belt and you better not be caught outside your Scout Car without your lid in place and your nightstick in the ring on your belt.
It you were on a foot beat you better never get caught with your night stick in the ring. It had to be carried in your off hand or under your left arm at all times.

In the Scout Car you had a whole set of worries, let's call them concerns. Sniper fire from high rise public housing projects was up toward the top of the list of concerns on that duty.
Walking a foot beat was another whole can of worms. One of my greatest concerns was the crowds that I had to police. Gun grabs were pretty near the top of the list. Crossing intersections in front of traffic stopped for the light is another.

So, on a foot beat i NEVER would have carried a weapon in the small of my back, simply because of easy access by someone who came up behind me in the crowd.
In a Scout Car I NEVER would have carried a pistol in the small of my back where it would be between me and the seat back.

At this stage of life I'm not about to try to master circus tricks or acrobatics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I completely agree...over hyped and and an individual decision to carry in ANY way.

This 'concern' of spine injuries because of SoB carry is a non-issue, IMHO. Please post all the stories of those spine injuries, I'm anxious to read them.
With a firearm at 3 o'clock...print out those hip injuries, too.

I carry SoB with a palm out grasp from time to time, but the holster is between my spine and kidney, and not directly on the spine. I have no trouble drawing the weapon or sitting in chairs or my car in complete comfort. It's always under an untucked shirt and invisible to others.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Sorry RETSUPT99,
Personally..just the two incidents I witnessed. Anything else would just be hearsay on my part. And in court, it was beaten into us that hearsay evidence just wasn’t evidence! But...I do know both of the officers mentioned in my op personally, and I was there when it happened. YMMV. And of course you are right..always an individual decision to carry in Any way.
Cheers,
Lunger

David L. (Bigfoot) Green

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I prefer FOB ...Fat of the Back...a bit to the right of SOB...more or less 5:00 when I am carrying that far back. Any further back and it's just too hard to reach. Keep it reachable and prevents knocking metal on wood when sitting down.
But LOG also works well while seated...that's Left of Gut. (Cross draw).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts