Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
The SOB carry bad idea holds true for other items carried there as well! We had a Detective who went out on disability after he fell on his back during a scuffle with an offender and he fell on his handcuffs in a case on the middle rear of his belt (SOB).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
One of my Houston PD colleagues fell onto her back, when a stair step collapsed. Her doctor told her that her hand cuff case, being centrally located, on her duty belt, over her spine, was an aggravating factor in her injury. She had to fight to keep from being medically retired, and never returned to uniformed duty. She is in constant pain, to this day. Edited to add: She was/is not the malingering type, being a diligent worker.

Obviously, the regard for privacy, and medical ethics, means no names being named.

A properly-packed lumbar pouch can be a valid way to carry a load, but something hard-edged, like a handgun, carried over the spine, is probably not a good idea, no matter how cool it looks, on the big screen.

Let’s also remember that a gunfight is a fight, where guns are present. Fights are 360-degree affairs. A handgun carried behind the back requires the user to place his/her arm much of the way into an arm-lock. The longer distance to reach the weapon, and then get it into action, substantially increases presentation time. When I was LEO-ing, for a living, I always hoped that ALL of my armed opponents would carry small-of-back.

The small of the back can be a very convenient place to temporarily tuck a weapon, while walking or standing, under calm conditions, and, I will admit that I have done so, from time to time, in the past. Note the adjectives “temporary” and “calm.”

·
Super Moderator
50,576 Posts
The small of the back can be a very convenient place to temporarily tuck a weapon, while walking or standing, under calm conditions, and, I will admit that I have done so, from time to time, in the past. Note the adjectives “temporary” and “calm.”
I'm not a cop, and too old to fight. I guess my opinion falls into the "temporary, calm...and positional" category.
I have SoB holsters that never rest directly on the spine.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Thank you @RETSUPT99 for posting your opinions! I was going to post, but waited, as "EVERY TIME" this comes up, members seem to roast "anyone" whom posts about carrying SOB. Let the "torching begin"! I too, carry a pistol SOB. Some thoughts about "MY CARRY".

1. It's my #3 BUG. It's NOT the weapon I'd draw initially. "NO NEED" to worry about "whipping it out", without regard to safety, or speed!

2. It's in a Don Hume "clip on" holster, whereby when re-holstering, I remove the holster, & insert the pistol. Then it's replaced where it goes SOB. I ALWAYS handle it this way, & am not CONSTANTLY removing/replacing gun on my belt. It goes on when I leave the house, & comes off when I return home.

3. I carry it as an alternative to a "truck gun". G20, loaded with a "very hot" loading. It is carried "on my person", because I WILL NOT LEAVE A GUN IN MY TRUCK! I DO NOT belittle others here WHENEVER they post about a gun safe in their vehicle. I travel to a town with "one of the highest" auto theft rates in the US. My feelings are: They'll steal the vehicle, and get around to "cracking a safe" at their leisure!

4.It's on my person (see #3), so I have it! Real estate is a premium "on my belt", so it goes SOB.

5.I NEVER worry about a "gun snatch", as I have stated here, I allow "NO ONE" in my "personal space". (discussed this here numerous times!) If you saw me in public, I think you'd avoid me also. Not to mention, if I'm out in public, 75% of the time, I'm with a bunch of "very nasty looking dudes". We are avoided like "this plague"!

6.I don't worry about falling on it as: A. Not unlike @flh I'd be more prone to fall forward, & B. See #5/ "VERY UNLIKELY" to be pushed backwards.

7.People would ask about having it also/#4 post, and my answer is: A.It's my business! B. I don't tell anyone else what to carry! C. I sometimes carry large amounts of cash at odd hours, for personal reasons (co-CFO of a charity). I want "all" I can carry, within reason to defend myself.

I think this covers most of it. Any other comments, "flame on"! :danceban:

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Mel Gibson made it look easy in Lethal Weapon drawing his Beretta 92 from the SOB.

Its not.

ts clumsy and try re-holstering....go ahead. Dare you to try it.....without taking off your pants and starting over.
Ride in a car for a period of time with that gun pressing against your back....the entire trip. Just awful. No thanks.
He "floated" that gun a lot, it moved to AIWB quite frequently throughout the films.

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
Most people that fall and hurt their back have nothing tucked in their back.
Heck, I didn't even have to fall to permanently hurt my back. At least I'd have a decent excuse if I had.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
330 Posts
I tried it back in the late 90s with a Kahr K9. It just felt clumsy and uncomfortable, weighed down my pants in the back.

Just wasn't for me, it sounds better than it is.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Heck, I didn't even have to fall to permanently hurt my back. At least I'd have a decent excuse if I had.
lol...yesterday I loaded 15 bags of pine bark mulch into my F250, and of course it had been freshly rained on so it weighed at least 20% more than normal. Then I got home & unloaded those bags into my garden cart, 5 bags at a time, and moved the bags to the project area with my little tractor towing the cart. Then I spread those 15 bags of pine bark mulch over an area that I'd covered with 2 layers of weed cloth and already laid 7 bag of mulch into. All in the area behind my veggie garden where I was always having to weed eat and mow with my small mower since my Big ZTR wont fit back there....no more mowing in that area!

I finished at 11:30 am. Then got cleaned up and laid on the bed with a heating pad under my lower back until 1:30p.
After that I felt not half bad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
SOB carry works for me. I'm an old geezer as well. Carried that way for decades with no problems. As with any method of carry, it all depends on what kind of gun, what kind of holster, what kind of clothing. With a J-frame sized snubby I can comfortably work and drive and sit easily. Presentation is fast, sure, and safe.

Bianchi#5cl-2.jpg

Anyone that is falling down with regularity should keep their Roscoe under your pillow in the nursing home.

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
Anyone that is falling down with regularity should keep their Roscoe under your pillow in the nursing home.
That made me laugh, an un-nature act for me.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Super Moderator
50,576 Posts
SOB carry works for me. I'm an old geezer as well. Carried that way for decades with no problems. As with any method of carry, it all depends on what kind of gun, what kind of holster, what kind of clothing. With a J-frame sized snubby I can comfortably work and drive and sit easily. Presentation is fast, sure, and safe.

View attachment 327310

Mine would be at 5 o'clock, but I like the palm out draw.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My guns are not comfortable to carry in the SoB position. So I go with the 4:30 position.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Like many of you I made the mistake of carrying my Smith Third Gen in the small of the back. I went to a Denny's and was seated in a booth. I sat down and everyone could hear the loud Clunk when my gun hit the wood. It also sent apain in my spine. Worse, when I leaned forward and reached back to adjust the gun I dropped it and the Smith 915 fell to the floor under the table. I put my foot on it so no one could see it but I saw several older men laughing out loud..

·
Registered
980 Posts
One of those indelible memories for me is the video of the West Freeway Church of Christ shooting near Forth Worth. I recall one of the armed parishioners standing up and "fumbling" to get his gun from his SOB. I'm not sure how long it took for him to get his hand on his gun, and it seemed like it took forever, but by the time the shooter realized the parishioner was going for his gun, it was too late. I believe the (heroic) parishioner felt he needed to stand up to better access his weapon, which made him a bigger target and he was wearing a sport coat that also seemed to slow him down. Could things have ended differently for him with a different set up, or if he was wearing something else, or if he had practiced/trained more (assuming he hadn't), we'll never know. But that one example of SOB carry, pretty much convinced me that SOB carry is not the most ideal set up.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carried a Sig P220, for years SOB, in a Bianchi 3S. I moved that 3S from SOB to 2:30-ish with a forward cant, not because of any spine issues or concerns, but because it was more efficient to draw from there.
My biggest concern, at the time, was the increase in carjackings. Not so much where I live, but it seemed more prevalent, at the time. I didn't like the fact, if I needed my weapon, I was basically sitting on it, and would have to lean forward, clear cover, and draw. Riding with it at 2:30, it was always under my arm, oriented, and easy to clear cover and draw.
I had to throw a kid down on the ground, who, intentionally "ran into me" in a crowded mall. He reached around my back, and it actually felt like he grabbed part of my pistol. I whipped around, twisting his wrist, taking him down to the ground, and noticed him looking past me, shaking his head quickly, side to side, eyes as big as saucers. I stepped off to the side, with my hand on my pistol, to see three older, bigger guys walking up. The kid continued shaking his head, and the middle of the three walking up, looked at him, looked at me, then looked back at him saying, "Watch where you going! What's wrong with you? Sorry man, he don't watch where he's going."
That incident, lead me to move my pistol to 2:30-ish. 3:00 prints too much for me. On duty, I still carry at 2:30-ish. Both on and off duty, I carry my mags at about 7:00. Off Duty, I carry an additional mag at 5:00 with a Leatherman. Both on and off duty I carry cuffs at about 5:30-ish.
I don't concern myself with the "What if you fall?" issue. I've been training in martial arts for over 35 years, and have practicing falling down, since day one. The key to falling backwards, regardless if you are carrying a gun, mags, cuffs, knife, or anything in, or around your spine, is to not fall straight back, and practice in controlling your falls. Instead of flailing about, trying not to fall, accept and embrace the fact you have lost your balance, and control your descent.
You may be falling backwards, but never allow yourself to fall straight back on your spine. Always direct your fall, so you contact the ground with the meaty portion of your back, and allow yourself to "unroll" as you hit the ground, or stay tucked and roll back til you can regain your feet.
After decades of Ukeme training in Aikido, I'm an expert at falling. So much so, a few months ago, while teaching retention, I lost my footing, and starting to fall. With my hand on my weapon, in my holster, I did a backward roll, as my demonstration partner, rushed in to try and grab, and keep me from falling. He was concerned, I would get hurt, because we train about 30 officers, in a parking lot. He was shocked, and amazed as everyone watching, as I quickly ended up on a knee, orange gun drawn, and pointed at his chest, before he could even touch me.
I mention this, because despite where I place my cuffs and magazines, when I fell backwards, they never even touched the pavement. If you fall correctly, you should be falling more on your side, than one your spine. Things like mags, guns, and knives, are worn around, and when you fall, you should be curling up little, tucking your chin, so when you make contact, it's actually above your waistline, belt, and anything attached to it.
I understand, most people haven't trained for over three decades in martial arts, and continue to practice falling regularly, even if they have. Think about it, though. Your average person, is more likely to trip over a curb, than get into a fist fight, so why not learn and practice falling correctly, to prevent injury? I've demonstrated forward and backwards rolls, on the concrete floors in the prison, in full gear, to officers who, after being taught to roll in the academy, said it would never work on such a hard surface.
Wearing a gun, or anything, SOB has a number of reasons to reconsider, or really think it over, and spinal injury, could be a legitimate concern, to most, but there are ways of getting around it, like training.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Can't do it. Gave it a try when I thought it would make the front and side of me more comfortable. Tried it with my light weight Ruger LCRX 38. Sitting was a bear.. even driving and my car seats are comfortable. Gave it up for my favorite go-to at appendix area no matter which gun I carry (right now my Pitbull 45 acp). Just have to have the right holster and belt for best comfort/draw balance, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
@aikironin21 Yes, you're correct! Something I didn't mention in my earlier post, is I trained with my sister, whom was a Judo instructor for years. One of the "basics" see drilled into me from the start, is "taking fall's". As I also mentioned earlier, my SOB weapon, is never used as primary, OR, even my secondary weapon to draw. I'd never consider moving to a "single weapon", in that position.

Reactions: flh
21 - 40 of 46 Posts