Defensive Carry banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
With an injury at the turn of the century which whacked out 3 lower vertebrae, small of back was no longer an option. I never carried that way before, either, but still got the back injury. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
One combat shooting instructor I had said his problem with SOB is there is a decent probability that you won't know the fight is on until you are already on your back!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I carry at 5 oclock, just not right on top of the spine. I can reach around and touch the opposite pelvis with either hand so access isn't an issue. I can take it out like really fast while doing other stuff. I also do not have the gun on me when driving. Just after I open the car door, I have the gun in my hand until I'm seated in the car and the doors shut. It takes like 3 seconds then when the door is shut it goes right in the door pocket. Even people who ride with me somewhere never see me do it. What this all does for me personally is I can carry the pistol I'm most comfortable with, the most used to, and honestly shoot the best. It's an USP compact which isn't very compact, but it's what I kept going back to. Round in the chamber, decocked, safety off. I have Remora/Sticky and a Kydex holster I use pending on what I'm doing and wearing.

Lately I've been shooting some left handed, so I move it over to the other side of the back - like at 7 oclock. I got the right handed kydex for this. I have to think more about where it is back there though. I do other things like eat and drink, left handed anyway. I'm right eye dominant so I stay shooting right hand mostly. A few weeks ago, I was trying to find my gun cause i was heading out of the house. I looked in two rooms before realizing I had it on me. I dont know what thats about.

After getting my CC, I quickly was bummed out because I couldn't carry it like I thought I had to. I tried various positions and holsters for almost half a year before opting the way I carry now. I'm comfortable with it so I really could care less what might be better or by the book. And I think if you're going to carry around a loaded firearm, you have to be mentally and physically comfortable doing it. What works for others might not work for you.

Appendix - this was a problem for me seated. I really worked with this one, to the point I went out and bought a smaller pistol. That actually ended up being worse.

3 oclock IWB - mostly a wardrobe problem. I would prefer to carry like this, but I just never could make it work either. Maybe if I drop another 25 lbs I can pull it off.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I don't know. I haven't seen past the first one, but does John Wick carry SOB?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Never carried beyond a 4 o'clock carry position and that was a very short term try out . I carry at 3:00 + or - 15 minutes for 33 years and over the last 17 years I warn my pistol a little higher above my belt . I can conceal some full size pistol under shirts that fit well and taller pistols get the aid of my arm helping with concealment . I practiced one hand draws as many times family may be with me and I may need my free hand/ arm to sweep back a family member or tow help keep a bad guy off me while drawing . I can draw with no extra body movement if sitting or driving to . Last I can watch my self re holster to be sure nothing can cause and issue . But hey I only carried for concealed for 33 years . Current edc is a p320c 40 under a carhartt force delmont t shirt as there cut a little fuller around the waist but with some many high quality square tail shits available a slightly taller M&P full size or 1911 easy to conceal too .

Nifty I was 5-10 and and a good 240lbs for many years todays 33 years later I'm 5-9 , wonder were that inch went ! But I have lost weight , down to 210 lbs and it early made 3:00 carry very easy But I have only used one holster brand for 17 years . A Comp-Tac Neutral and added there MTAC model when my wife said my old one looked back and ordered the new model So p320 or M&P in the new one and my 1911's in the older model . No skinny holsters and never a not flexible and hard kydex only rig .

41 - 46 of 46 Posts