Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about Small of the Back carry and i just don't know how practical it would be. If anybody carries SOB any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eddie

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I've tried it didn't like it uncomfortable and always worried what would happen if i fell on the gun broken back maybe?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Tried it. Uncomfortable when driving, and hard to check if you're printing. It may work well for you, but I didn't like the fact that it is hard to set down and lean back in a chair and be comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Seems most here agree SOB can be a pain in the back, especially during a fall. I tried it once, but didn't like the way it rode, sitting it is uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I sold a very nice Horseshow Leather SOB rig for 1911 - and actually found it reasonably OK if worn at 5 o'clock but for true SOB 6 o'clock I do think it is way too dangerous re injury potential in a fall.

If it works for someone at 5 o'clock then I do think it is viable - but angle involved for draw takes some practice to achieve fluency IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carried a 4" auto SOB for several years and just got used to carrying that way. Last year I went to a leather hip holster and a cover shirt, much, much more comfortable.

RH

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that settles it. SOB probably isn't a real good way to carry. Thanks guys.

Eddie

·
Registered
155 Posts
There was a Miami Dade plain clothes police officer who was paralyzed after tring to restrain a suspect.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ITs not very comfortable for long peorids if you have to do any seting down,, it shouldn't be right over the spine at all, but more like Horseshoe Leather suggest,,just off of the spine toward the hip,,,draw is a bit ackward, for me as the butt lies to flat,,have found over the years it works better with small guns. I don't use it at all now..

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
It's pretty hard to avoid muzzle flash with SOB, especially if you have to invert your hand for the grip. You'll need to put your back surgeon on your speed dial.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You know that drawer that has all those holsters you dont like.My first one was a small of back. I thought it would be a good way to carry. It didnt take very long at all to say NO WAY. I did go to a place with alot of holsters.(sportinggoods store) and tried different ones.Put them on see how they fit. I chose a paddle at 4oclock.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't care for it. As others have pointed out, it is very uncomfortable when seated. The draw is slower. It is very easy to print if you bend over at the waist even the slightest bit (for example, pulling groceries out of a grocery cart). It is also very hard to defend against a grab, because your arm is in a very weak position when behind your back. Finally, it is very easy to cross yourself while holstering or drawing from an SOB holster.

I suggest strong side hip instead.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been carrying my K-40 SOB for quite a while. I use an Uncle Mike's and have been surprised that after a few minutes, it almost disappears. Even while driving, it remains noticable, but not uncomfortable. I've been trying to ween myself from SOB to a Fobis OWB, but the shirts I have seem to print too much. If I could always carry OWB, with confidence in concealment, I'd give up SOB. For the time being........I'm still an SOB! :)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
not comfortable when driving. the sob ends up on the side, after a short time when i was in the g-ride. after one week it when in the holster foot locker to never be worn again. gun stayed in placed but was a pain in the back when setting. one day i am going to make some money on e-bay when i sale all of the holsters that i don't use.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I carry a SOB holster at about 4:07 and it rides quite comfortable and is not positioned so that the barrel rides low and peeks out from under my jackets, etc.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't like the fact that SOB opens up accessability of the weapon to others. This is a possibility with any type of carry, but at least if it is positioned slightly in front of my person I feel that I am more in control.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've used one for a short while with the WartHog, wore it at 4:00 position, just above the back pocket. Not a bad carry there, except when you are driving ,and siting for a long period.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts