Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to start reloading. So far I've only been collecting my brass. Since reloading is my ultimate goal, I figure i will pick up the required parts etc as I find them and have money for them. There is an ad in my local area for small pistol primers, 1000 of them, for 38$. Is that a decent price? Also, being that I want to reload 9mm and 40cal mostly, do I need small or large? I know I need a wealth of knowledge before I start, at this point I'm just gathering things up.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
$38 is a good price for 1000 primers. Get a reloading manual and read as much as you can. Im not sure with the 40 but 9mm calls for small pistol primers. Good luck and happy reloading.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
These days $38 is a decent price. My local supply place just went to $40/K on the latest shipment they received. As far as I know both 9mm and .40 will use small pistol primers. I have seen a small amount of .45ACP use small primers, however large primer is more common in .45ACP

I should specify the prices I'm quoting are for CCI primers.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You guys are lucky. I have everything else I need but primers are the elusive little creatures around these parts. They are scarce.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,thanks guys. This is for Winchester primers. Found out the guy is in the next town down from me. Sixgun, if shipping wasn't so expensive for them I'd send you some

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Ok,thanks guys. This is for Winchester primers. Found out the guy is in the next town down from me. Sixgun, if shipping wasn't so expensive for them I'd send you some
Thanks bro. Shipping primers and powder is way expensive with the hazmat fees they charge. Stuff is starting to come around. Ive got a bunch loaded up right now to do me for a while. Have a good one and stay safe.

·
Registered
42,129 Posts
Local LGS is the lonely place around carrying primers and the last box of 1000 I got was $45. It is what it is. I normally don't buy a thousand, prefer 200-300, but that's what they had.

·
Registered
621 Posts
pretty good price and yes small primers for 9mm and .40 S&W

primers are the only thing I've been worried about getting have been stocked up well on everything else. Jump on this deal

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm seeing small pistol and small rifle for about $3.50/100 around here, but they're hit or miss as to availability, so that's an OK price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
$35/1000 is normal here from local cowboys with FFL. Sportsman's Warehouse is $38 to $40, doesn't matter which size.
Cherokee SLim

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
$38 is a good price for 1000 primers. Get a reloading manual and read as much as you can. Im not sure with the 40 but 9mm calls for small pistol primers. Good luck and happy reloading.

I was gonna ask "on what planet is that a good price?" but I suppose nowadays that's not bad. Last time I bought primers they were less than 1/2 that, maybe 1/3 that price.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
invoice.jpg

With shipping, hazmat fees, etc, I just got my invoice from Powder Valley for 8,000 primers (5k small, 3k large) for $232.95.

$232.95/8,000 = $.029 each.

So $0.03 cents each

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Anything under $40 per K is go for it. My LGS has Federal Small and Large Pistol priced at $46 and $48 per K. Glad I loaded up in early 2008! I also loaded up in the 1990's and the boxes have $15 per K on them. Those are Winchester. Still shooting primers from the 1990's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A year ago they averaged $23.00/1000ct. But now? I'd pay $38.00 for 1000

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
In this day and time, I suppose $38 isn't a bad price, but it isn't a good price either. The last primers I bought locally (about 3 mo ago) were Federals at $30/K (not including local sales tax), and I just rec'd a delivery of Wolf that came to $167/5K (or about $33/K, including HAZMAT). Sadly, it wasn't that long ago that you could get Wolf on sale for less than $20 and CCI for less than $30 from online suppliers. Anyhow, if you need 'em, buy at 40, but if it isn't urgent, it doesn't hurt to shop around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts