Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Glock 23(whos grips I hate but I can shoot it well and it works so I still have it) and a Taurus CH85 revolver that I swap on and off for CC(the revolver is more comfortable and conceals better than the 23)

What im looking for is a smaller and thinner CC gun. the only criteria are it has to be a NON Glock and it should be smaller and or thinner than a Glock 23..im NOT as concerned about weight or round capacity. Guns ive been looking at or thinking of trading the Glock 23 in on are(in no particular order). Oh minimum of 9mm..no .380's. $500 or less including used guns.

1.Sig P6 (seems to be Glock 23 size but thinner)
2. HK P7 (Pricey but can get for around $525..unfortunately they dont take trades on that lol so id have to save up and buy it straight out probably my FAVORITE CC gun if I could just pick one and afford it this is what id have right now)
3. M&P Compact/XD Sub Compact(Glock like but tons better grips and reliable..probably just as thick as the Glock though)
4. Taurus 709 Slim (well slim and 9mm)
5. Kel Tec PF9(slim and small 9mm)
6. Taurus PT111/140/145 (still smaller and I think thinner than a 23 but a bit more capacity then the 709.

If you can think of anything else let me know.

oh and I dont have a problem with any of the makes/models listed as far as reliability ive had numerous Tauruses and they all have run 100% for me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i carry a taurus pt111, glock 19 and 30sf...the taurus is very easy to conceal iwb but there are times when i think the 709 would be great because it is so slim....i have been toying around with one for light carry...

ive found the kel tec to be a bruiser at the range...the grip is thin and squared making it hit hard in your palm....the p11 is wider and smoother on the hand...

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
A used Kahr? I have no idea how much they cost in your area "previously owned."

·
Administrator
21,424 Posts
I currently have a Glock 23(whos grips I hate but I can shoot it well and it works so I still have it) and a Taurus CH85 revolver that I swap on and off for CC(the revolver is more comfortable and conceals better than the 23)

What im looking for is a smaller and thinner CC gun. the only criteria are it has to be a NON Glock and it should be smaller and or thinner than a Glock 23..im NOT as concerned about weight or round capacity. Guns ive been looking at or thinking of trading the Glock 23 in on are(in no particular order). Oh minimum of 9mm..no .380's. $500 or less including used guns.

1.Sig P6 (seems to be Glock 23 size but thinner)
2. HK P7 (Pricey but can get for around $525..unfortunately they dont take trades on that lol so id have to save up and buy it straight out probably my FAVORITE CC gun if I could just pick one and afford it this is what id have right now)
3. M&P Compact/XD Sub Compact(Glock like but tons better grips and reliable..probably just as thick as the Glock though)
4. Taurus 709 Slim (well slim and 9mm)
5. Kel Tec PF9(slim and small 9mm)
6. Taurus PT111/140/145 (still smaller and I think thinner than a 23 but a bit more capacity then the 709.

If you can think of anything else let me know.

oh and I dont have a problem with any of the makes/models listed as far as reliability ive had numerous Tauruses and they all have run 100% for me.
Have you ever had a P7? While it's thin, it's not light.

Check out the Kahr line especially the CW9, CW40 or used P9, P40 etc.

You nailed it on the M&P and XD, it's about the same overally thickness. The Kahr is probably the most slim option out there other than the KelTecs and given a choice of the two I'd take a Kahr any day or the week.

I can't comment on the Taurus.

The P6 or 225 would be a good piece, but again it's not all that light and is only available in 9mm if I'm not mistaken, if you want to stay with a .40 that's out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My vote would be the M&P 9, nice and thin, still higher capacity, and nice firearm. I have a XDSC9 and it is about the same as the Glock, just like you thought, so going to it wouldn't be the change you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you ever had a P7? While it's thin, it's not light.

Check out the Kahr line especially the CW9, CW40 or used P9, P40 etc.

You nailed it on the M&P and XD, it's about the same overally thickness. The Kahr is probably the most slim option out there other than the KelTecs and given a choice of the two I'd take a Kahr any day or the week.

I can't comment on the Taurus.

The P6 or 225 would be a good piece, but again it's not all that light and is only available in 9mm if I'm not mistaken, if you want to stay with a .40 that's out.
Owned a P7 no, Held a P7 yes and its just fine..as I said im not concerned with the weight..I used to carry a 1911 back in the late 80's and had to give it back(well sell it back to a friend that was down on his luck and needed $$ I promised to sell it back to him when/if he got back on his feet and he did) to the original owner and that was also fine to carry.

I know the P7 was a good bit LIGHTER than the 1911 and felt pretty light in the hand to me. I like steel/alloy guns.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Another recommendation for the Kahr CW series. Some have had issues with um, but my CW9 has been a sweet shooter and never had an issue within the 1000 rounds so far. YMMV

Just as a side note; The CW series are basically the same gun just not all the bells. Mine was $400 and change.

GBK

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Walther PPS or Kahr P9/P40

I believe the Walther PPS and the Kahr P series are among the thinnest guns in the market, with slide width of about 0.90 inches and grip width between 0.90 and 1.00 inches. These guns are available in either 9mm or .40 caliber.

By way of comparison, your Glock 23 has a slide width just a hair over 1.00 inches and a grip width of about 1.10 inches. (I have a Glock 23 and have measured it.) So you'd pick up at least 1/10 of an inch on reduced thickness with either the Walther or the polymer Kahrs. Of course you give up some capacity, as the double stack Glock 23 holds 13+1 rounds of .40, while the Walther and Kahr are single stack with much lower capacity.

You might have a price problem with the Walther or Kahr, given your $500 price point. But I offer these suggestions in case you decide to go a little higher in price.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Of the guns on that list, the Kel-Tec PF-9 is the smallest and thinnest. I've had one for a while now, and really like it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kahr CW40.... same as the P models just a little less eye candy and the sights are not dove tailed for change out. Thin/made well/40 S&W/I shoot it great/6+1/cheaper than the P models.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Another vote for the CW40, if you're looking for something thinner than the G23. The CW series, is a great value IMO, with the only downside being no night sights. Of course for much less than the price difference between the CW and P series, you can buy the CT laserguard...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My Kahr P9 is one of my two favorites.

There are a couple of good charts re size and weight on this site.
Mouseguns.Com New Index
Look on the right side at the Pocket Gun chart by BOB O, and the Compact Comparison by David L.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the Walther PPS and the Kahr P series are among the thinnest guns in the market, with slide width of about 0.90 inches and grip width between 0.90 and 1.00 inches. These guns are available in either 9mm or .40 caliber.

By way of comparison, your Glock 23 has a slide width just a hair over 1.00 inches and a grip width of about 1.10 inches. (I have a Glock 23 and have measured it.) So you'd pick up at least 1/10 of an inch on reduced thickness with either the Walther or the polymer Kahrs. Of course you give up some capacity, as the double stack Glock 23 holds 13+1 rounds of .40, while the Walther and Kahr are single stack with much lower capacity.

You might have a price problem with the Walther or Kahr, given your $500 price point. But I offer these suggestions in case you decide to go a little higher in price.

yeah, Love the PPS but its price got it left off the list. If I could pick one up for $450 id get it :) .

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will look more into Khar also. I never got into them because I dont like guns with break in periods I just think they should run well out of box not after 300-400 rounds only(id read that they want you to break them in for something like 400 rounds before you carry them or am I wrong and got misinformation???)...but at the dimension and price point it may be worth a second look.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I will look more into Khar also. I never got into them because I dont like guns with break in periods I just think they should run well out of box not after 300-400 rounds only(id read that they want you to break them in for something like 400 rounds before you carry them or am I wrong and got misinformation???)...but at the dimension and price point it may be worth a second look.
They ask for a 200 round break in, but I break in all my autoloaders so the point is moot for me. YMMV

Good luck in your search.:bier:

GBK

1 - 20 of 85 Posts