Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been thinking about a .22 semi so she can shoot something other than her handguns.. problem is she's go no strength in her hands, and less in her arms.. She needs the tiniest lightest . 22 long gun available.. I think she would be ok with a Keystone cricket .22 but she doesn't want a single shot.

I was thinking a Henry Youth Lever .22 but she might even have trouble operating the lever, unless its very easy, smooth and slick.. She picked up a very small Marlin semi auto, but it was nose heavy.. The entire gun was light but really out of balance, all the weight was in the barrel.. just getting ideas for a small very light decent quality .22 semi in kids size.. Not even sure anyone makes a kid size .22 semi auto.. most of the youth .22 long guns are single shot, bolts or levers.. any advice would be helpful.. btw, guns such as a 10/22 are way too big for her, we've tried.... bob

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Not exactly a range favorite, but this is the smallest, lightest 22 rifle I know of.

36597_2.jpg

Ahhh... @ETXhiker You beat me to it, you rascal.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I got beat to the punch.

Twice.

If it was just weight, I’d also say to look at a Nylon 66...but they aren’t small.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, pistol grip.. Illegal in NY,, Ridiculous I know... Has to look ""non scary""... bob

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The Henry Survival Rifle is good what it was intended for, not so good for training a new shooter. (The sights on the survival rifle are less than ideal for new shooters.) OTOH, their lever rifles are about as close to perfect for training a new shooter and a lot of fun for more experienced ones as well!:yup:

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
yeah, pistol grip.. Illegal in NY,, Ridiculous I know... Has to look ""non scary""... bob
Incredible...made in New Germany and illegal in NY because it has a "pistol grip". You guys really need to trade your politicians in on honest ones!

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wrong about the AR 7.. It is NY compliant.. We are going to Bass Pro as they have it and the Youth Lever in stock.. My wife is not a new shooter . she is a better shot with many handguns than I am.. [Thats not saying much,,lol].. I have a 10/22 and to me its a feather, to her its way too big and heavy,, She shoots the .22 handguns very well, so I imagine once she gets used to the AR 7 if thats the way the way she goes, it should be at least as accurate as a pistol in her hands..
I will see what else they have thats small and light for her, and just buy her what she feels most comfortable with.. btw, that little Henry AR 7 is a nice deal at $250, and the Youth Lever is $329.. Not bad for really good quality guns.. I imagine the little Marlin is a lot cheaper, so we'll look at that as well... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incredible...made in New Germany and illegal in NY because it has a "pistol grip". You guys really need to trade your politicians in on honest ones!
My mistake, its legal.. I guess the grip is continuous with the stock, and not at a severe angle, so the NY politicians will "let " us have it...
Had to call a Henry Gold dealer to make sure. He has sold them up here.. bob

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
My mistake, its legal.. I guess the grip is continuous with the stock, and not at a severe angle, so the NY politicians will "let " us have it...
Had to call a Henry Gold dealer to make sure. He has sold them up here.. bob
Excellent. The little Henry AR-7 would not only meet your requirements, but is a great food provider in an emergency.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
The AR7 are amazing rifles ..FYI they make a survial kit model that has a bunch of bug out supplies with it

Fun fact they are at least 3+ markers of AR7 ..The org AR7 was made by armalite ( yes that armalite ) then charter arms then Henery .There was also a weird Isreal made model that had a FAL pistol grip a wire stock and a short barrel a few of them were welded to 16inch and import

If you get one

1. Use factory mags they are weak point of the gun as the feed ramp is built into the mags so afteramrket are crap and be carefully with the mags
2. It is very compact when you take it down the whole thing fits into the stock barrel and all and a mag or two . And yes it is very easy to put together you can do it in a few second in the dark if you are good
3. Yes they will float if dropped in water

Get one I think they are dandy survial guns ..Plus the best part to me for a NY is there is no mags over 10 rounds to lust after and not being able to own ( tec there is 15,25 rounder by they are very iffy on working and mostly only work with order model non henry it was made for 10 and under mags )

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Not exactly a range favorite, but this is the smallest, lightest 22 rifle I know of.

View attachment 306442

Ahhh... @ETXhiker You beat me to it, you rascal.

A real shame that it would have even been LIGHTER if it had a machined Aluminum receiver.
But, on the plus side - at least all of the function related issues have been solved.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok we checked out-

1-Mossberg 702 plinkster
2- Henry AR 7
3-Chiappa M1 - 22 LR
4- 10/22 Youth [ my favorite, she despised it]
We came home with nothing.. She was ok with the little Henry Survival, but didn't want to spend $250 on something she "would hardly use".
She NEVER has trouble spending money on guns she likes, and we are blessed enough that money is no issue with us in our retirement, so lets just say she was ok with it, but not turned on by it.

The 702 she could handle ok as well, but looked SO awkward handling a long gun.. She is not a "rifle person" is the way she puts it..

I asked her if she thought she would like the Mossberg better if it was shorter [Plinker Bantam is 2 inches shorter, same weight, and $THIRTY$ dollars more expensive!!.
No one anywhere stocks the bantam model and Palmetto State Armory is out of stock..
btw, the little Mossberg 702 Plinkers have almost doubled in price the past few years.. 5 years ago they were around $100 everywhere and some guys got them on sale at $70...
Now they were at least $169, with some places charging $189..
Did find one in Pink at $90 shipped brand new, but its not the Bantam model and I want her to use the gun, and I have the feeling that 2 inches reduction in total length will make her feel more comfortable and more willing to practice with the gun.
If anyone knows a shop that actually has the Plinkster Bantam in stock, please let me know, I will just buy it for her and hand it over.

Pink must be a tough sell because there were a lot of them under $100 new on the net, none at all in black at that price.. If it were the shorter model, I would have ordered one, but I want to make sure she's as comfortable as possible with a long gun, and from what I have seen, I think the Bantam is something she will practice with at the range.. Still an extra $30?.. For a simple 2 inch reduction??/... bob

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
BeeBee I would say go buy a bolt action so you can get a better trigger group than will be found in affordable semi autos . You will find find a better balanced firearm with ether a straight or rotary mag bolt rifles when she trys the yough models and skinny barrel adult models . The weight should not be much of a problem in the 5 to 6lb range ether so maybe a savage b-22 f compact or there MK11 GY . The GY model has worked very well for two 9 years old grand kids . One now 15 and 6 foot tall still enjoys it and hunts with it and its very capable of dime sized groups if scoped at 50 yards with ammo it likes . Marlin has a XY22-YR that's short , 4.5lbs with a good trigger too and basically just as accurate as a savage and both are under 300 bucks . The savage GY at least is a gun you can pass to children and grankids or great grang kids one day .

This is what I should tell you . But since the choice is not yours - Take a drive to a few well stocked gun shops and let your wife handle some but maybe you live where none are !! .

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I hadn’t looked at these small .22s. The 795 looks most appealing to me, after reading reviews.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BeeBee I would say go buy a bolt action so you can get a better trigger group than will be found in affordable semi autos . You will find find a better balanced firearm with ether a straight or rotary mag bolt rifles when she trys the yough models and skinny barrel adult models . The weight should not be much of a problem in the 5 to 6lb range ether so maybe a savage b-22 f compact or there MK11 GY . The GY model has worked very well for two 9 years old grand kids . One now 15 and 6 foot tall still enjoys it and hunts with it and its very capable of dime sized groups if scoped at 50 yards with ammo it likes . Marlin has a XY22-YR that's short , 4.5lbs with a good trigger too and basically just as accurate as a savage and both are under 300 bucks . The savage GY at least is a gun you can pass to children and grankids or great grang kids one day .

This is what I should tell you . But since the choice is not yours - Take a drive to a few well stocked gun shops and let your wife handle some but maybe you live where none are !! .

I agree with everything you wrote, but she's a tough sell.. I would buy her Henry Youth lever, or any small kid size bolt action she wants. Price no object. IF she gets a .22 long gun, she only wants a semi auto.. The choices for kid size semis are limited, but there are some good ones such as the youth size ruger 10/22.. She picked it up and instantly hated it. The Chippa M1 style .22 semi auto was a bit heavy, but was well balanced.. She was "meh".. Not good, not bad.. She spent most of the time with the Mossberg 702 Plinker, really liked the sights[They were VERY good], and then with the Henry survival, which i wasn't crazy about.. She was ok with the Henry, but didn't want to spend the money, even though we can well afford it.. She said "If it was $100 I would have bought it".. Drives me crazy.
She saw the online prices and reviews from a few years back of the Mossberg 702 being sold regularly for $100-110 and on sale for $75, and got that in her head, not thinking that prices go up sometimes on guns over time... Today i found a local dealer that could get the mossberg 702 Plinker Bantam for $170. Its 35 inches total length, where as the standard 702 is 37 inches, so it will fit her a little better.
Thats probably the way we'll go eventually.. If it were $125 it would be here, loaded and tested already, but she has the $75-100 price in her head, and wants one for that, even though spending $700 on a Desert Tan P 238 a few years ago was NO problem for her because thats what she wanted. The big box stores show the Bantam at around $159, but its not worth the 80 mile round trip to save $11..

The main problem is that I want her to get a .22 long gun and get used to shooting a rifle.. She is somewhat less interested than I am in her choice of .22 rifles.. If she were hot to get one, it would have been here a long time ago, with price being no object...
So she's kind of luke warm to the whole idea now it seems, but thats better than ice cold i guess... bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts