Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had permit for a couple of weeks. Received SmartCarry last week. Stuck the G23 and clip in on Saturday morning, and carrying ever since (except where legally and/or policy prohibited....company has a "no firearms" policy, for now). Wear at 11 o'clock position. As others have stated, extremely comfortable. Practice draw (unloaded, of course) at about 2 to 2.5 seconds to COM (I think I can improve this a little, with practice). Did the WWW (WW actually had three boxes of .40, now they only have one......I didn't want to be stingy), included Alco, Dollar General, a couple of convenience stores in my weekend treks.

I still plan to add a few IWB/OWB holsters to my collection. I am probably going to get both the Crossbreed and the Pure Kustom, just because.

Funny thing. I don't feel more "confident", more "macho", ....whatever. I DO feel a HUGE increase in my sense of Responsibility, and my SA continues to grow exponentially, daily. I am glad, and sad (because it's even necessary), to finally, REALLY join the sheepdog ranks.

All you folks (as retsupt99 says) Stay Safe!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Nice job with the smartcarry. You'll like the IWB, too.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yer gonna love it more with each passing day, Kansas... it is great "around the house"... pull it outside the pants, spin it around to 3 o'clock, and carrying a full-size pistol like my Sig 220 is extremely comfortable...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You will love the way the smartcarry feels once you become used to it. I've had mine for almost two months & love mine. I wear my smartcarry 5 or 6 days a week. It is one of the most concealable holsters I own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even 18 holes of golf is comfortable.

Played 18 holes, yesterday (cart golf), with SmartCarry "loaded", and no issues at all. Plan to play another 18, "loaded", this afternoon.

·
Registered
641 Posts
kansastom

Congratulations on two points!! First, that you had the good sense to see a good thing and act on it. So many herein have commented that because of the placement of the SC they would just never consider it. Second, that you say that you feel the sense of responsibility that goes along with carrying concealed.

Good job on both accounts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
G23

What size Smartcarry do you use? I have a G23 as well, and would like to know how yours fits.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Galco Summer Comfort (leather) IWB and Blackhawk Serpa II (Kydex) OWB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Glock 23 will fit well in a medium Smartcarry. I have one that holds my P245, and HK P2000sk. It worked well also for my HK P2000, about the same size as the G23, I bought for the P2000. Just tell Charlie what you want to carry, he'll send you what you need. I have an extra wide Smartcarry for my S&W 386 and S&W 329, the L and N frames are a bit wide for a medium sized Smartcarry. Once you try it, you will never go back to whatever method you were using. I've carried for almost 25 years, and I think that it is simply the best system yet. The best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you guys carry your glocks with a round in the chamber in the SC? From the looks of it, I'd think that would not be a good idea. (But I've never had one in my hands.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you guys carry your glocks with a round in the chamber in the SC? From the looks of it, I'd think that would not be a good idea. (But I've never had one in my hands.
If I have any reason to believe that my holster will interfere with the trigger while the gun is in the holster, I won't use it.

Precious time is lost chambering a round. If I have to draw, it's because I need my gun to fire NOW, so I don't want to have to bother with racking the slide. There are plenty of other options out there if one holster doesn't work the way you want it to.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Absolutely! The trigger is completely covered by the holster. It is totally safe. This is my G26 with a spare mag.

The holster itself is quite sturdy. You can't pull the trigger once the gun is in the holster.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
69 Posts
How are these things when you sit down? Are they still comfy? Driving and getting in and out of the car? I have been looking for an all around rig.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How are these things when you sit down? Are they still comfy? Driving and getting in and out of the car? I have been looking for an all around rig.
No problem. My Sig P245 has a beaver tail, and the hammer sticks out, I can feel that with some almost-discomfort when I carry it. It is still manageable. For the Smith 386, 357 mag, I carry it all the time. I have it on now. On a revolver, the hammer sits further away from the back of the handle. It goes completely un-noticed by me. The same goes for my HK P2000sk when I carry it. With a bobbed LEM hammer, no spur on it, it is not noticeable. I also tried it with my Kimber Ultra Carry, again, the beaver tail likes to poke when sitting/driving.

I've carried enough Glocks to know that the same would apply, no potruding beaver tail or hammer, and no notice of it being carried.

When wearing it at 11:00, you can take a leak without unbuttoning you pants, just lower the zipper and shove it to the side a little.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I wear mine at 11 o'clock, so when I sit the gun lays on top of my left thigh. If the backstrap of the gun pokes you, just push it down a bit once you are seated.

This is the only rig that works no matter what I'm wearing.

Those who worry about carrying a Glock with a round chambered in the Smartcarry can cut a piece of sheet plastic and insert it into the gun pouch to add protection for the trigger. Not necessary, but I do it, just as an added precaution. I've carried my G19 or G26 everyday for 2 years in a Smartcarry - round chambered.

Wear some dark, pleated pants and no one will ever know you are carrying. Draw is faster than folks who have not used this holster realize - no need to untuck or sweep away a cover garment...I wear my shirts tucked in for this reason.

Good choice!:yup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
10thmtn,
It sounds like you carry the same way that I do. If the biggest critics of Smartcarry would just try one, most would change their mind. Certain knee jerk phrases like crotch carry, blow off the family jewels, and such just provoke an unwarranted reaction. SC is probabbly the only way that I will ever carry again.
With a 30 day money back guarantee, how can one go wrong? The cost of shipping is all.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
10thmtn,
It sounds like you carry the same way that I do. If the biggest critics of Smartcarry would just try one, most would change their mind. Certain knee jerk phrases like crotch carry, blow off the family jewels, and such just provoke an unwarranted reaction. SC is probabbly the only way that I will ever carry again.
With a 30 day money back guarantee, how can one go wrong? The cost of shipping is all.
Yeah...except few people like to admit their pre-conceived notions are wrong...:rolleyes:

Oh well, their loss!:frown:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lefty and S.C user over 5 years. i carry Glock 27 most of the time. I added a plastic guard (made from a milk carton) sewed it in the front to add extra layer for trigger protection, but have found I didn't need it. I am naturally very protective as to anything coming close to where the Smart Carry is positioned. :ahhhhh:.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Smartcarry!

Again for you folks considering a Smartcarry, Im once again going to echo 10thmtn. I LOVE mine. Not all carry set ups will work for everyone but SC has been fabulous for me and alleviates the need to dress around a gun. In Texas it gets HOT! Wearing an extra shirt for cover is NOT an option for me personally.

Alex!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts