Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using my Smartcarry more and more. It works very well with my PM9. I'm still not totally confident in the PM9 and have been thinking about trading for a G26. I am looking for comparisons from those who have carried both in the Smartcarry. Mostly interested in size/weight comparisons, though any thoughts on the Glock trigger in the Smartcarry (makes me nervous) are also welcome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A Glock in your underwear is just plain dangerous!
Why not just get a real holster?
Bill DeShivs:

Define "real holster".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
wormtown:

I don't have a SmartCarry, but hope to acquire one in the future. I too have considered carrying a G26/G27 in one. It is my understanding that the material is stiff enough not to allow intrusion into the trigger guard, but I do have some concern about the material bunching in the trigger guard enough to fire the pistol--I assume that is your concern also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just get a real holster?
I need deep concealement.

I can pull the trigger on the PM9 through the material, but only with an extraordinary amount of effort, mostly due to the long pull. I am thinking the "safe action" trigger may help as anything getting in there would not be centered on the trigger, but the short travel and lighter pull is still a concern.

I had an idea to take something like a comp-tac 2-oclock and use a small second belt in the smartcarry position. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I carry a 26 in Smartcarry daily. I have found it allows me to carry it when normally my only option would be a NAA mini or my Keltec p32. I work inside and sit at a desk mostly comfortably (as comfy as I can get at a desk) and also climb on, over, on equipment just fine comfortably as well. I will carry IWB with other holsters when cover is available but when I need to look professional Smartcarry is the trick.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the above replies as to the safety. I am still interested in anyone's experiences as to the differences between the PM9 and G26 in the smartcarry as to comfort/printing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It all depends on the pants you wear. I have a J frame 642 that works sometimes for Smartcarry. I just have to have enough distance from the top of the waist to the bottom of the crotch. Otherwise it gets tight. The width is another issue. My J frame is about as thick as the glock in the handle and the cylinder. I would say if you don't trust your PM9, run the heck outta it. If you still don't trust it, then get a cw9 and see how you like that. Personally double stacks in a smartcarry don't work for me, as they are just plain too thick. But again I am 23 and don't wear extra large pants just to fit the gun in.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have been carrying a Glock 26 in a Smartcarry for over a year now. I use it more when dressing up for special occasions. With pleated trousers and blousey shirt you can't see a thing. The only issue I have is relieving myself which is a common occurrence with someone my age. I use the Glock trigger guard and have no worries about accidental discharge. However, I'm still searching for the perfect CC gun and holster combo.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Been there – done that. Initially I really liked my ‘Thunderwear’ but after a summer in the Arizona desert, it turned into a real soaker. Besides, I was always a bit squeamish with the barrel pointed directly at my…
Anyway, I ended up giving the wheel of holster fortune another spin.
Regards,

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you're worried about snagging the Glock trigger through the SmartCarry, some here have stuck a piece of thin plastic cut from a milk carton between the gun and holster.

Bobo

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I have used a Smartcarry daily for over 2 years with a G19, PM9 and G26 (my current EDC).

I added a piece of sheet plastic within the Smartcarry pocket to protect the trigger. This was more of an issue with the PM9 (no trigger safety) than the Glocks, but in reality is not much of an issue. As you saw yourself, it would take extraordinary effort to engage the trigger through your pants fabric, and the stiff fabric of the Smartcarry. Beware, however, of cheap, thin knockoffs of the Smartcarry!

As far as sweat goes - the backing of the Smartcarry is sweat-proof, unlike some of the other similar holsters.

The thinner PM9 prints a bit less than the Glocks IF you use the flush 6-rd mag. If you use the longer 7-rd mag, however, there is not much difference.

I wear my Smartcarry at 11 o'clock, with the bottom of the G26's grip centered on the zipper line. Any bump looks like the normal fold on the front of men's trousers. No one has ever noticed, even with a G19. When I sit, the pistol lays on top of my left thigh. It is fairly comfortable worn this way.

Pleated pants, and darker colors, do help with concealment.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 10thmtn. My move to Glocks is all your fault!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't comment on either of the pistols you mentioned, as I've never owned either. On the other hand, I have been using the Smart Carry for 2 and half yrs. and previously used the Thunderwear brand for 8 or 9 yrs prior to finding the Smart Carry. Like some others, I use a cut piece of plastic from a milk carton, although I truly don't feel it is necessary, but the added protection doesn't cost or hurt anything. I do carry (2) G30SF's with Lasermax uni green lasers on the Glock rail in complete comfort every day. With pleated dress slacks and dress shirt tucked in, I've never been made. I also wear suspenders instead of a belt, which for me allows a one handed drawstroke without having to pull the pants away to allow for access of your firearm. If you practice (with an unloaded gun,) you can learn to draw and get your first COM on target in 1 and half seconds from the Smart Carry. By the way the Cushmax sweatguard really does work. The owner Charlie Parrott is a great guy to deal with too. Good luck and always stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Been there – done that. Initially I really liked my ‘Thunderwear’ but after a summer in the Arizona desert, it turned into a real soaker. Besides, I was always a bit squeamish with the barrel pointed directly at my…
Anyway, I ended up giving the wheel of holster fortune another spin.
Regards,
Perhap a cross between Thunderwear and Depends could work for ya'....:rofl:
:joke:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't understand the popularity of the underwear holsters. After all, if you can legally carry a gun why would it need to be concealed to the point of stuffing it into your crotch?
The main reason usually is; to be completely concealed at all times.

Bobo

·
Registered
61 Posts
It would seem if you made a reasonable attempt at concealment, you would be fine. After all, it's legal carry.
I would rather wear a jacket or vest, or pocket carry-than have a big gun stuffed in my nether regions. I can understand for illegal carry, or undercover cops, but not for legal carry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts