Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of the deep concealment holsters and the new series of "mouseguns" I originally carried a Glock 27 in the Thunderwear holster but the gun is big for this type of holster.

I have now tried out Thunderwear, Smartcarry and Lightningwear on my two new favorite conceal guns, the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Ruger LCP.

Since Thunderwear was my first of these types of holsters to wear, I tried it out first. The Ruger LCP (with Crimson Trace Laser) fits like a glove. The material of the Thunderwear is softer than the Smartcarry material and I prefer the Thunderwear for the LCP. I have very little "printing" with the LCP. As for the PF9, there is a little more printing (especially with the magazine pinky extension). The PF9 is still doable with the Thunderwear but I found a much better solution as listed below.

The Smartcarry is pretty much identical to the Thunderwear except that the backing material (Comfortmax? I think) is a little stiffer and tended to rub my legs. It will work pretty well for the LCP but I didn't care for it with the PF9. The PF9 sticks of the top too much and tends to print. Smartcarry is also the most expensive of this group.

I found another similar holster called Lightningwear on eBay. The cost of Lightningwear is significantly less then the other two holsters and is a lot more comfortable. I am right handed and tried to put the PF9 into the right side of the Lightningwear. I discovered that the two pouch areas are not symmetrical and the left side was a little larger. I was steamed for a brief moment because I thought they gave me a left hand version (and they may have??) I turned the PF9 over and put it on the left side of the pouch (see picture below) with the butt of the gun towards the center. The PF9 fit perfectly and the very little bit of "printing" from the magazine pinky extension and it lines up perfectly with my zipper. I think the PF9 in the Lightningwear prints less than the LCP in the Thunderwear. :congrats: I am extremely happy that I can carry the PF9 instead of the LCP. I'd rather have a 9mm than 380 any day. The material feels like parachute ripstop and looks like it should wear well. For $35 bucks, I’ll buy a couple more in case they do wear.

By the way I am extremely pleased with the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec PF9. The LCP is well built and has yet to malfunction. I am still breaking in the PF9 and have had one "fail to extract" with Winchester White box ammo, otherwise excellent groups from both guns at 10 yards. The Crimson Trace lasers are outstanding and hold their point of impact very well. So far, no adjustments after ~ 100 rounds on either gun.

Pictured below is the Smartcarry on top, Lightningwear middle, and Thunderwear on the bottom.

Notice the last picture that I can actually carry both guns very comfortably. With a little practice, you can get either gun out of the holster with two fingers very quickly. My only complaint is that when I am driving, it is a real b*tch to get the guns out, practically impossible without a huge commotion.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can actually carry my G35 all day like this. It also works great for jogging in the morning and I can draw from a seated position. Perfect for jeans and t-shirt people like myself. With a little practice you can draw faster or just as fast as from a behind the hip holster. I am little heavier though at 5'5" and 225lbs. I cant say enough about these holsters unless you carry a 1911.......

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Is it difficult to draw the PF-9, tilted at that angle??

I use the Smartcarry, have for the last 2+ years. The "Cushmax" backing keeps the gun dry, even on the sweatiest days of Summer.

Thanks for the review - I've not tried the others, and to be frank, Charlie at Smartcarry is a pleasure to do business with, so I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon. But always good to know your options!

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Yikes indeed! The issue seems to be the thinness of the "Lightningwear" material. It's cheap, for a reason.:rolleyes:

I've purposely tried to pull the trigger on my Glocks (unloaded, of course) while in the Smartcarry. I could not do it. To be absolutely sure, I added a piece of sheet plastic inside the holster pocket, to add another layer between the trigger and the front/outside of the holster. I also make it a habit to check the interior of the holster pocket every morning before I holster the pistol, to be sure there is nothing in there...a habit I would suggest to all, regardless of holster used.:wink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I carry a Kahr MK9 in a smartcarry those times when I don't think I can conceal anything else. I have been able to get the Kahr trigger to break while testing out the holster. My solution was to stuff a small Uncle Mikes hoster in the smartcarry pocket. It adds a bit of thickness to an otherwise very thin setup, but I feel a heck of a lot safer that way.

I contacted Charlie, at smartcarry, about the potential issue of the gun discharging in the holster and he pretty much dismissed it as impossible. I can assure you that it is NOT impossible, especially with a gun like the Kahr with no trigger safety.

Be safe, whatever your method of carry ends up being.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like 10thmtn, I have used the Smart Carry system for 2 and half yrs. now. Before that for 8 yrs or so, I used the Thunderwear. I did the same thing and added a layer of plastic water jug that I had cut to fit inside the pockets of my ambi-model. Even though I tried repeatedly to pull the trigger on my unloaded Glocks, I couldn't, but for the added protection the plastic sheets cover that. I also agree about Charlie Parrott the owner of Smart Carry, he is great guy to deal with. The sweatshield layer of Cushmax in the back panel truly does keep your weapon(s) dry no matter how hot it gets. That's also why it's a more expensive product, but well worth it to prevent rusting on your handgun. The Thunderwear is ok but IMHO the Smart Carry is a far superior product.
Good luck and always stay safe.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
I never like to point fingers, but the OP hasn't been back. He has ONE post showing us all that LightningWear is the "clear winner," so....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, tough crowd. Yep, I'm new to this forum so disregard my 35 years of shooting...no problemo.... I visit a lot of forums so it may take a few days before I reply. I mostly shoot benchrest 1000 yard stuff and Glocks and am on those forums too. I've only had the LCP & PF9 a short while and have been comparing holsters for the most comfortable carry. I have been carrying the Glock 27 in the Thunderwear but it is a heavy gun for that type of holster. I tried the MTAC but I just can't get used to it.

I could care less about which holster you buy (Smartcarry, Thunderwear, or Lightningwear), I have nothing to do with any of them. I like the Lightningwear because it is soft and more comfortable than the other two in my opinion. I just enjoy sharing my findings so that you guys might get some ideas for another way to carry.

Cheers :whisky:

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I've tried a variety of conceal holsters but the one I usually choose to use is a forward wearing fanny pack. I wear it left of center on my weak side. I got it at REI and it doesn't look like a gun holster.The largest gun that I carry that way is a Glock 30 though. After seeing Xavier thoughts, I don't ever think that I will carry a gun in my pants, in that type of holster!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bet that guy would give his left nut for a good holster...
:
Or something other than a 1911 to carry in it.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but that is the main reason I don't, and won't, carry Cocked & Locked guns.

DAO or DA/SA for me!

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
A cocked locked 1911 won't discharge if you just pull the trigger, so I don't see the additional risk in carrying it over a DAO/DA-SA pistol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw a girl at the local gunshow, who was very slender and quite attractive. she was selling the Tunderwear holster. Had super tight pants on and still was able to conceal a sub compact 9 mm in her holster. No printing what so ever. It sold me instantly. I bought it and have carried my 4" XD and my 380 in it, and can comfortably carry both. With no printing. I can wear it with a T shirt and no one notices. I love that. I am a small framed guy, 6'0, 160 lbs. So, its kinda tough concealing on me. I love my holster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A cocked locked 1911 won't discharge if you just pull the trigger, so I don't see the additional risk in carrying it over a DAO/DA-SA pistol.
Why don't you ask the guy that shot himself in the groin about the additional risk?
I'll bet he has an explanation!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just wanted to mention that I don't think the holster that caused that accidental discharge was actually from lightningware or whatever the name is. I noticed someone linked in the comments of that link to a thread on The High Road, and they mentioned it was some no name distributor at a gun show(I don't remember the name). Not that I have any experience with any of the three, actually I fear the Lightning one would be too soft and also possibly very hot to wear, so just correcting so someone wouldn't get the wrong opinion.

Luke

Oh and I'm not related to any one of those companies, I've been a long time lurker here, and I just got my net working to the point that I can post(load balancing router kept kicking me out as the IP changed).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts