Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Looks ok, but notheing new or innovative. Can't see them doing all that well with all the Gloocks, XD's and HK's all ready proven designs.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Couldn't open that image link right now so - using my imagination!

Nothing inherently against Smith for semi's but - it's revo's that grab me with Smith written on them for most part.

That said - I do rather like my SW99 even if the ergonomics suck!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I read an article in one of the gun-rags that spoke pretty favorably about this one. However I've got way too many things already on "the list" for this one to rate a spot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
An LEO buddy of mine called and asked me if I'd help him run a thousand rounds through an M&P tommorrow.
I'll post a report-should be fun!
Dave

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Airedale - I am proud of your unselfish and giving attitude - and hope the trauma will not be unmanageable for you LOL! :18:

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts
I certainly hope that it is better than the Sigma...

which was the biggest piece of crap to ever hit the market that wore the S&W name....

·
Registered
344 Posts
We tested one just before I punched out. Was a pretty decent weapon and I liked s few of the newer things on it for a S&W,, grip felt good and pointed well, built as a 40 first so I would think any thing else should wotk fine,, rep said they where looking to have the 45acp out some time in late 06 -07

·
Registered
57 Posts
A guy I know at my firing range bought one on Tuesday, (in .40) and let me squeeze off a few.

Shooting that gun was pure sex. :22a: It was easier to shoot than the 9's I have. I'll be thinking of acquiring one when I get my next bonus check at the end of Feb.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
They can't fool me...
After the smegma...er.....I mean sigma, I'd rather spend my hard earned cash on a Taurus 24/7.... :ticking:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Kimber is wanting a piece of the action too with their version of the M&P.

I saw somewhere about the S&W M&P model having a very good review done on it and trying their best to get the gun to malfunction and couldn't get it to.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Airedale said:
An LEO buddy of mine called and asked me if I'd help him run a thousand rounds through an M&P tommorrow.
I'll post a report-should be fun!
Dave
Informal (certainly not scientific) test results:
-S&W M&P, .40 S&W, box stock, new
-1090 rounds total
-3 shooters-(USPSA regular shooters)
-Ammo: Winchester white box, Speer, and a variety of Federal, ball and hollow point
-main target-USPSA standard target shape in steel-15 yards
-the M&P was lubed at the start only

The S&W M&P is one sweet pistol. We shot it with the small grip installed. I liked the large but one of the shooters has small hands. The ergonomics are great on this little pistol. Controls are simple and pretty standard. 15 round mags dropped and inserted easily. The pistol looks good and seems more rounded than the Glock or XD.

We had two failure to chamber past the 1000 round mark. Both were mid magazine, both with Federal 165 gr. HST. In both instances the mag was reinserted and firing continued. We believe it was ammo problem vs. gun problem.

I was able to consistently run the entire magazine as fast as I could pull the trigger and hit the 15 yard steel. We had a blue plastic barrel laying on it's side at 50 yds. Transition from 15 to 50 and back was simple and quick.

The trigger is smooth and more than adequate for this type of pistol.

Is this better or worse than the Glock or XD? Nope. I like the feel better than the Glock and about the same as my XD. I like the lines (look)of the M&P better than the Glock or XD. I like the 15 round mags that aren't available for my XD40.

We didn't have any holsters. I tried it "Mexican carry" and found it comfortable standing, setting, and bending.

This is a fine pistol for the market. We all will need to make our own judgements on what's "best". I'd carry this pistol. It's reliable and accurate. Am I going to run out and buy one? Nope-I have an XD-40 and a Para 16-40 Limited gun. I don't "need" another .40. If I find a deal on a used one later, I'll jump on it.:redface:

I shot my S&W 27-2 revolver after the M&P "test". Next to the 27-2, the M&P, XD, and the Glocks pale in comparison.......but I'm not biased.

Dave

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
From the thumbnail posted by Ti Carry it looks a little bit like the Ruger 345. I wonder, is it similar in size to the 345? Wonder if a 45ACP version is being contemplated? Or a 45GAP?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shoud be a nice gun, since it incorporates all of the design features of the Steyr's. Heck, the Kimber looks like it was just cloned off the Steyr.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.

Steyr M40-A1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts