Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was window shopping at a local gun store and happened across a S & W model 915. It was a local trade in and the owner (a past seller of several guns to me) told me he was asking $375.00. It was in really good shape with no scratches, nicks, etc. and came with 2 15rd mags. However I would want to get different sights for it as the previous owner had tried painting white dots on the rear sight and a red dot on the front. I will probably have to have a smith install new sights. It sure would make a good big brother to my 6906. Any of you all have any advice you would like to offer?

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be picking up that 915 later this week. I called back and asked the owner to hold it for me. I really like S&W 3rd generation autos and would like to add some more soon.

· Registered
778 Posts
I have one; if it were me, I'd save a little more and buy something else.

The 915 is from the S&W value line. It has lots of plastic and MIM parts to keep the price down. It is not the same gun as the 3913, for instance. $375 is more than it cost new. I'd skip that particular pistol at that price point and save just a little more for an M&P.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have one and love it. Suppose to be the inexpensive line of 3rd generations. It's aluminum frame, steel parts, so it's lighter. Same grips, sights, mags, holsters and most accessories interchange with the 5900 series. Never had an issue with it, ever.

It's the 910 with a 15 round magazine. You can see the 910 on there site.

· Registered
198 Posts
I have both a 915 and a 910 pistol. Both early production examples.

First, the 915 and 910 are similar in appearance, but are NOT "the same". The only thing that is the "same" about these two models is the mags they use, and the S&W logo stamped on the slide.

The 915 does NOT have plastic parts. The 915 has metal sights, metal guide rod, metal mag release, and metal disconnector. The 915 also has a lug on the barrel and a corresponding cut in the slide for tighter lock up. The 915's tighter lock up can be seen in its increased inherent accuracy over the 910 pistol. My 915 is a tack driver.

The 910 has plastic sights, plastic guide rod, plastic mag release, and plastic disconnector. The 910 has no lug on the barrel, nor a slide cut.

The 915 has better fit and finish than the 910 as well. The 915 will fit 5906/5904 leather. The 915 has a nicely contoured slide and frame.

The 910's block like slide will not fit in 59XX series leather. It will fit some Glock holsters.

My 915's previous owner was the Chief instructor at the S&W Academy. He had the Performance Center do a trigger job on it, and cut the slide for Novak Low Mount night sights. Personally I think this not only improves the utility of the pistol but the looks as well.

Nice 915's can be had for $250 to $325. Much less than the asking prices for 910's, making them a superior value as well as a superior handgun. I personally prefer the 915 to any M&P pistol as well. Much better trigger, and is 100% reliable.

I'd go $375 for a LNIB 915 with box & docs, plus two mags, before I'd go that much on a 910. Good luck! Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information about the 915 vs. 910 18DAI. I will be picking up my 915 today and have already been looking for some holsters online. I was hoping that it would fit in 5906/5904 leather. Thanks for the confirmation of that fact!

I also am interested in having some night sights installed on it. Should I look for a local gunsmith to do it or contact S&W and send the slide back to them to have it done?

· Registered
198 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I'll wager you will need a jackhammer to get the smile off your face the first range outing. :smile:

Google "Novaks 915". Novaks gunshop in West Virginia does excellent work. Thats the ONLY place I would send a nice S&W semi auto.

The Springfield mother ship is hit or miss. How do you think their customer service got so good? Cutting the slide for new sights may not be rocket science, but since your 915 is in good shape, I'd send it off to someone reputable.....if it was me.

Enjoy that 915!! Let us know how it shoots! Regards 18DAI.

· Registered
66 Posts
Never had a 910 in my hands, was just going by the crap I've heard on the S&W forums about them being the same as my 915. Like I said from experience earlier, my 915 has been flawless from day one and is all metal.

As far as price, you won't find them in my area for 250 to 300 or I'd have several more. Part of that's probably from me living in a small town environment, they run 325 to 350+ around here when available.

· Registered
175 Posts
The 915 was my first centerfire auto, and I loved it, it ate any ammo I fed it and asked for more. I made the mistake of selling it back in the late 90's so I could buy a plastic fantastic that didn't even compare. I wish I still had it.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have one and I love it so much! It weighs a lot, so maybe not the best carry gun. However if you are going to the range a lot, this is a great shooter. I have shot it quite a bit, not even cleaned it. This gun is still smooth as butter! If you can pick up one of these, I say do it! It's super reliable and easy to maintain. Very easy to take apart and clean. If this gun wasn't so heavy. It would be my only gun, it's that good 😌

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.