Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this posted anywhere else, please Delete.

I don't have much on this yet but..

Smith & Wesson is changing its name to:

American Outdoor Brands Corp. :yup: :confused:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sm...-name-american-outdoor-brands-corp-2016-11-07

I think they are thinking ahead. They are doing Okay under new management but as a publicly traded company they have to make shareholders happy.

One report said they would be dropping the "Smith" part of the name but it's was only rumor I think.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Perhaps Stupid & Wesson would fit better.......:icon_neutral:

Reactions: BkCo1

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't have much on this yet but..

Smith & Wesson is changing its name to:

American Outdoor Brands Corp. :yup: :confused:

Smith & Wesson targets new name: American Outdoor Brands Corp. - MarketWatch

I think they are thinking ahead. They are doing Okay under new management but as a publicly traded company they have to make shareholders happy.

One report said they would be dropping the "Smith" part of the name but it's was only rumor I think.
If I were them, I think I would be a lot more concerned with what my CUSTOMERS think... Because, if the CUSTOMERS don't like it, Wall Street surely will not...:hand1:

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sounds like some politically correct nonsense.........Smith and Wesson has been a household name for a century plus, what change it?
If you peal back the onion, there is probably a democrat or 2 involved!
It just never ends..........

·
Premium Member
9,342 Posts
It's a name change for Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. They will still use the Smith & Wesson brand, of course.

Now...who the hell thought up "American Outdoor Brands Corp.?" Cripes, that sounds like a place were The Gap and Bass Pro send their factory seconds clothing articles for discount sales.

·
Premium Member
9,342 Posts
Fund mangers have been dumping gun companies for years due to complaints by nanny idiots.

Change the name to a less recognizable name, and the nanny share holders wont know the difference and wont care that they own 100 shares of "American Outdoor Brands Corp."
Likely you nailed it, Bubba.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
American Outdoor Brands Corp makes ME feel much safer. It is a warm and fuzzy name and I wouldn't even mind if someone spoke of it while in my Safe Place.
It sounds as if they make beach balls and picnic baskets.

Whatever keeps the M&Ps flowing.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were them, I think I would be a lot more concerned with what my CUSTOMERS think... Because, if the CUSTOMERS don't like it, Wall Street surely will not...:hand1:
Since their stock price has surged since 2012, large institutional investors (74%) have bought their stock. The institutional investors are the same who invested with Cerberus Capital Management, Teachers pension funds, etc., Big money and largely democrats. Cerberus at one time owned Freedom Group, The largest owner of gun companies in the world. At one time, they owned Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, and about 20 other gun companies. After The Sandy Hook Shooting (A nut kid shot a bunch of other kids and some teachers with a Bushmaster) Cerberus was forced to divest itself of the Freedom group. It was making too much money to do that so they just sold what they could and renamed the Freedom group Remington Arms who kept several of the other brands.

S&W Holding has bought a bunch of companies that have little to do with their famous revolvers and pistols. I think they are almost in the same position as Cerberus.

Other products (owned by S&W) from Wikipedia

A Smith & Wesson "ExtremeOps" brand pocket knife

Smith & Wesson markets firearm accessories, handcuffs, safes, apparel, watches, collectibles, knives, axes, tools, air guns, emergency lightbars, and myriad other products under its brand name.
John Wilson and Roy G. Jinks designed the Smith & Wesson model 6010 Bowie knife in 1971 and the 1973 Texas Ranger Bowie knife. Blackie Collins designed the subsequent model 6020 and 6060 Survival knife in 1974–1979. All of these limited-production and custom knives were made at the Springfield, Mass., USA factory.
In October 2002, Smith & Wesson announced it had entered into a licensing agreement with Cycle Source Group to produce a line of bicycles designed by and for law enforcement. These bicycles feature custom configurations and silent hubs (for 'stealth' cycling) and are available for purchase by 'civilians'.[SUP][45][/SUP][SUP][46][/SUP]
Smith & Wesson flashlights are available to the general public. They are designed and produced by PowerTech, Inc, in Collierville, Tennessee.[SUP][47][/SUP]
Smith & Wesson has a line of wood pellet grills named after various pistol cartridges, such as .22 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, and .500 Magnum.[SUP][48][/SUP]
Smith & Wesson has entered into a licensing agreement with North Carolina-based Wellco Enterprises to design and distribute a full line of tactical law enforcement footwear.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sounds like some politically correct nonsense.........Smith and Wesson has been a household name for a century plus, what change it?
If you peal back the onion, there is probably a democrat or 2 involved!
It just never ends..........
........and China :icon_neutral:

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
S&W Brand name isn't going anywhere. Who'd be stupid enough to get rid of over 100 years of brand name recognition?

It will be like Winchester ala the Olin Corporation.

Reactions: frgood

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just keep those awesome M&Ps flowing through the gun shops!

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
American Outdoor Brands Corp makes ME feel much safer. It is a warm and fuzzy name and I wouldn't even mind if someone spoke of it while in my Safe Place.
It sounds as if they make beach balls and picnic baskets.

Whatever keeps the M&Ps flowing.
When I hear someone say Smith and Wesson, the image of an an old fashioned revolver pops into my head. American Outdoor Brands Corp doesn't have the same ring to it that S&W does.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I hear someone say Smith and Wesson, the image of an an old fashioned revolver pops into my head. American Outdoor Brands Corp doesn't have the same ring to it that S&W does.
Unfortunately Smith and Wesson is no different than many other great American brands that are so in name only anymore. Sporting goods and especially hand guns and rifle companies often change owners or are consolidated into holding companies that are managed by bean counters. They care little about the product, only what the brand is worth.

Colt is a good example. It has changed hands over the years many times. New Colts are not much different than RIA made in the Philippines. When the government is not buying, gun companies generally suffer.

Cabelas, also publicly traded has been bought by Bass Pro Shops. The difference is that Bass is privately owned and doesn't have to answer to the Government or institutional investors who are largely anti-gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,206 Posts
This is the first place I read it.

Smith & Wesson's been dead to me for quite a while, their catalog unrecognizable. Weird for someone who used to devour their latest catalogues for so many years. There's nothing there for me. I didn't change or move away from Smith & Wesson. Their products did change, not in a good way and moved away from me. Even though I sampled a .40 Shield a couple years back, and it's practical, ergonomic, and pleasant shooting, I can't say I'm a fan of it or that it's frequently chosen for carry duty over older Smith & Wesson revolvers or those great, heavy Colt Government Models. Cheesy plastic, crummy, ugly surface finishes, wretched locks on revolvers, two-piece barrels and on and on is typical of the "less is more" philosophy of guns and gun marketing. Well, less isn't more!

No matter. Finished up an "audit" of the handgun shelves in the safe last night, making sure all were snug in their RIG-coated beds. There are real Smith & Wessons on hand, enough to see me out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The only constant is change. Yes they don't make things the way they use to. Hand fitting is a by product of manufacturing capability. To be cost competitive in the market place its no longer your great grandfather's way of doing things. Now if you want things somewhat like they did in your great grandfathers day its comes at a cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you want to pay $3000-$5000 per copy then have at it but the majority of consumers in the firearms market are more pragmatic.

Smith&Wesson brand name remains the same. I in my life time can name several different entities that have owned S&W.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts