Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did a short search and didn't find anything. Anyhow...what are opinions on a SD knife blade type--smooth, serrated or half and half? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each type??

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I tend to like my sd blades plain, but very sharp. Serrations are more useful in my mind for things like cutting ropes and other knife tasks, that don't really include sd. In a pinch, it'll do the job. But I stick with plain edges, mostly those by spyderco or benchmade.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tend to lean towards combo blades. I carry my endura4 not only for protection, but for its everyday usefulness. The serrated edge takes care of the rougher stuff and stays sharp longer than the other plain half. If youre getting the knife for EDC and not for general use, go with straight. IF you plan on using it for other tasks, which you most likely will, I would go with the combo. Too bad you didnt use a poll!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Both of mine are smooth and hair shaving sharp and are never used for anything but SD. Full size TDI and Kershaw Leek.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like plain blades for SD carry. I'm not cutting with it, and it's partially cosmetic also to me.. I have blades that are serrated also, but they are for a different use. Match your blade to the use, and go with what works for you..

:hand10:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really depends on what you are going to use your knife for. Serrated blades get caught up on things like cloth, and rope. If you have the money Grayman Knives can't be beat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My SD is Plain edge, it works best for me

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I like combo blades for EDC. But I like ones that the serrated portion is around 1/3 of the blade, like the Benchmade Kulgera.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
My Kershaw Leeks are both smooth, but my Ka Bar TDI is a combo (and this sucker is SHARP).:yup::yup:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
My folding knives are for utility use in the primary role. I use them a lot! I work in EMS so they do get a work-out! Therefore, I find the combi blades to be more useful and practical.

All my knives are strong and bombproof work horses such as Benchmade, Emerson, SOG and similar brands, so any of them will work very well in a self defense role.

I'm not a knife fighter, but I can, fight with a knife!

My fighting style is a universal method whether you are unarmed engaged in hand-to-hand, or whether you have a knife or club in your hand.

The techniques and the strikes are the same and are very fluid, targeted and very devastating! If I don't hit the subject with the knife, it's not an issue. If the knife hits the attacker, it's merely because it was there when I landed the blow.

I'm not focused on using the weapon per say... I'm focused on striking specific targets on the body. If I happen to have a knife in my hand and that is what connects, it's just going to be that much more devastating.

Again, I'm not a knife fighter, but I can fight with a knife.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'll take mine plain every time. I prefer to sharpen them myself and keep them very sharp. Never got the hang of sharpening serrated knives.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
For a utility knife, serrations are good to have to saw tough materials.

I like my knives plain, though, as they are easier to keep very sharp, and if you have to use one in SD, I think the serrations would hang up on cloth and such.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
serrations have their utility and i have several with combo blades for that reason...but a blade can be sharpened and dressed with a coarse stone to produce a very sharp edge with small grooves in it that assist slicing soft tissue...some carving knives are made this way to help slice certain foods that tend to bunch up instead of slice easily....this type of edge gives you the best of both worlds...

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
For me, getting into a knife fight is the very last, of the last thing I want to do. Anyway, I have/had three Microtech knifes. The larger Tanto SOCOM blades were razor sharp, but my smaller VECTOR combo blade is my favorite. Since I use it for general cutting and not killing, it seems to be more useful. See post No. 10 in the thread below. BTW: I just sold and shipped out the two Tanto's this week.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...ly-one-who-thinks-my-10-knife-works-best.html
Regards,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like them both depending on the application.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts