Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting with @Pete63 and promised to put up a few pix of the Mini Thirty a snagged for 625.00 minus my 10% discount at the Store. ....565.00 OTD to me...
7.62x39 Ctg...... The rifle was #143 off the FIRST Run production....
Came with the ruger rings.. Instruction book and Box.....Hard to beat that price any day....I know they list NEW for about 1199.00 all day long..

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
SWEET! Kind of wished I'd gotten one, but didn't really see a need at the time. I've got a Mini 14 also. BUT, just a "plain jane" 5.56. Got a good deal on it. My buddy was moving "out of country". You ARE going to shot it, right? 😂

Reactions: CLASS3NH

·
Registered
42,137 Posts

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SWEET! Kind of wished I'd gotten one, but didn't really see a need at the time. I've got a Mini 14 also. BUT, just a "plain jane" 5.56. Got a good deal on it. My buddy was moving "out of country". You ARE going to shot it, right? 😂
Yup, gonna shoot it soon. I have to take the other 12 of them out too, going back about 6 years... Haven't even placed optics on the others yet. I'm gonna place a 2.5 to 8x on it ... Maybe a Vortex or similar.. Not sure yet... gotta see what comes into the store..

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Yup, gonna shoot it soon. I have to take the other 12 of them out too, going back about 6 years... Haven't even placed optics on the others yet. I'm gonna place a 2.5 to 8x on it ... Maybe a Vortex or similar.. Not sure yet... gotta see what comes into the store..
(y)

Nothing like having the ability of "one stop shopping"! ;)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I bought one in 1994, along with 1000 rounds of ammo, two weeks after I bought a Mini-14 and not too long before the infamous "assault rifle ban". Both in stainless steel. Paid $399 for the Mini-30 and $379 for the Mini-14. I sold the Mini-14 years ago but still have the Mini-30. Excellent shooting rifle.

Reactions: Pete63 and CLASS3NH

·
Super Moderator
18,183 Posts
Very nice, I am another that regrets not buying one when they first came out.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
I picked up a used stainless one several years ago; 300 and change if I recall. Good gun, good cartridge.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I friend bought one some years back and found our its not reliable with tula ammo but shoot wolf reliably and is fairly accurate with it . Hunts deer with hornady 123gr sst and shots it very well for what it is .

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Good deal. I know the newer ones have issues reliably lighting off the cheap steel cased "military" grade stuff. That has kept me away from the current crop of mini 30s. Do the old ones do any better?

I love 7.62x39 and got several commie guns in that caliber, but I love it less if I'm relegated to brass.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Good deal. I know the newer ones have issues reliably lighting off the cheap steel cased "military" grade stuff. That has kept me away from the current crop of mini 30s. Do the old ones do any better?

I love 7.62x39 and got several commie guns in that caliber, but I love it less if I'm relegated to brass.
The 1000 rounds of ammo I bought the day I bought my Mini-30 are Russian and my Mini-30 has never had any problems with this ammo. Not the best quality, I'm sure, but at $95 for 1000 rounds, what the hey.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I need to put him on block. :mad:

Reactions: Pete63 and CLASS3NH

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Good price ...

As I have posted before I could never get into the x39 mini ... But for 600-700 yeah that is a good score

My issues are limited mag option ( I mean come one only two or three size and they are like 30-50 each ) and some are very very picky on ammo esp surplus or hard primer stuff

Def interested in how this works and if you need to mod it to run steel cased stuff ..

Any normal size mags come with it or just the safe and sane 5 rounder ...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I picked up a Mini-30 back in 2015. Its been an awesome gun. The only problem it had was light primer strikes with steel cased ammo when it was brand new. After a couple hundred rounds the issue went away. There are firing pin upgrades, but I never felt the need to go down that route.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good price ...

As I have posted before I could never get into the x39 mini ... But for 600-700 yeah that is a good score

My issues are limited mag option ( I mean come one only two or three size and they are like 30-50 each ) and some are very very picky on ammo esp surplus or hard primer stuff

Def interested in how this works and if you need to mod it to run steel cased stuff ..

Any normal size mags come with it or just the safe and sane 5 rounder ...
It came with the usual 5 round mag... I did snag 2 10 rounders for 5.00 each..... I placed a Special Order at the Store for 3... 20 round ruger mags... 104.00 for the 3 BUT I gat a 30% discount on the mage, so for about 75.00 OTD I'll take em with they arrive..

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
It came with the usual 5 round mag... I did snag 2 10 rounders for 5.00 each..... I placed a Special Order at the Store for 3... 20 round ruger mags... 104.00 for the 3 BUT I gat a 30% discount on the mage, so for about 75.00 OTD I'll take em with they arrive..

I guess since they are making the ranch rifle in x39 now that takes the 30 mags the 10 rounders have come out .I could have sworn when I was looking it only 5 and 20 rounders for the 30.

You luck out that is the main reason I dont get a 30 is the mags .. I can get 3 or 4 30 round AK mags in 30 rounds for one 20 round ...

You going to do the samson A team stock on it ? That I think would it make it quite handy like a poor mans krinkov lol ..Though that early a gun not sure if the stock works ..

It is a very nice classic looking gun would make a great deer bush rifle ... Do let us know if you manged to get chepo commie ammo to run in it

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I am suffering Ruger Mini envy! (y)

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
The 1000 rounds of ammo I bought the day I bought my Mini-30 are Russian and my Mini-30 has never had any problems with this ammo. Not the best quality, I'm sure, but at $95 for 1000 rounds, what the hey.
Remember , t most of that russian / eastern european ammo is made a number a number of different companies and there not always as comparable as users might like . Sorta like some of those eastern european AK-47's .

But then not all of our handgun ammo has the same level of QC ether at times !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts