Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use an alternate hand position for a snubbie? How about left and on wrist instead of cupping right? My hands are too big to comfortably grip with both, and shooting one handed is not terribly accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Not a bad idea...If it works for you, do it, give it a try. I have seen several guys with big hands using the left hand to grip around the bottom of the right and using the left thumb to lock down the grip, just a little behind the web of the right thumb. Just be aware of hammer bite. Experiment until you find something that works for you...

·
Registered
851 Posts
The absolute best technique that I have found to fire and control a snubbie is:

Grip the pistol with your strong hand and have the web of your hand as high on the pistol as you can. With your weak hand, wrap your thumb over the web of your strong hand, and bring your weak hand fingers under the trigger guard. This hand position takes 75% of the recoil off or your strong hand and allows for super fast target reacquisition.

This video by the incredible Jerry Miculek demonstrates various revolver grip techniques. Pay special attention to the portion explaining the snubbie grip technique. It works!

Tiles with Categories

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Grip the pistol with your strong hand and have the web of your hand as high on the pistol as you can. With your weak hand, wrap your thumb over the web of your strong hand, and bring your weak hand fingers under the trigger guard. This hand position takes 75% of the recoil off or your strong hand and allows for super fast target reacquisition.

This video by the incredible Jerry Miculek demonstrates various revolver grip techniques. Pay special attention to the portion explaining the snubbie grip technique. It works!

Tiles with Categories
Thanks, Gglass. I watched all of them. Very helpful. Can't wait to go back to the range.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Anybody use an alternate hand position for a snubbie? How about left and on wrist instead of cupping right? My hands are too big to comfortably grip with both, and shooting one handed is not terribly accurate.
It can be if you can learn to avoid the sights and, with practice, learn to point shoot..."Threat-Focused Shooting"...find a course.OMO

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Tiles with Categories
Yup, best way I've found to grip my Model 36, when I shoot it two handed, that is.
I do try firing about 50% of my shots at the range one-handed, just as practice if I ever have to defend myself with just one hand. I am getting better with the accuracy one handed, with the .38 spl rounds and the recoil is still manageable, too bad I can say the same for the Model 29:blink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts