Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased an EAA Windicator .357.
Been thinking about putting it on night-stand duty in place of my 9mm.
My concern is ND's. Do I need to leave an empty chamber under the hammer?
This would limit me to 5 shots compared with 10 9mm, or 9 since I prefer to not over-work the mag spring while it sits for long periods.

I've even considered some sort of ND test where I could bump the hammer with something in a controlled situation at the range to see how hard a whack with the hammer down is needed to cause an ND.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would not keep the hammer cocked and I would keep it loaded to capacity. The hammer can not set off a primer in the down position because there is a block safety incase it were ever dropped. To pull the trigger with the hammer down is the same as your semi-auto DAO

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I don't know the EAA .357 and how designed. Most American sold models have the hammer 'block' which if the hammer is hit (while down) it will not 'normally' go off. Remember, anything can / will happen when you say never.....

I would ask, why are you concerned about it being knocked off or dropped ? Maybe you need a better place to place it. If it has the hammer block I would keep it fully loaded. I keep mine in a small handgun safe next to the bed that I can unlock and open easily and fast.

If you are concerned with number of shots and using it purely as a defense gun at home, but want a revolver, then there is the Taurus 617B (7 shot) and Taurus 608 (8 shot) , or a S&W 686 (7 shot).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
As the others have stated, hammer down, full cylinder. May want to try out full load .357 magnums and .38 spcl +p's in a dark or dimlite area so you can experience the muzzle flash at night, this can have a negative effect on night vision, just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Do you keep your spare tire half inflated?

Stay armed...load that sucker up...stay safe!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have one of these guns. I really like it. I carry it too.
According to the manual. It has a safety. The only way for the hammer to push the primer pin is to be pulled all the way back then go forward.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
This would limit me to 5 shots compared with 10 9mm, or 9 since I prefer to not over-work the mag spring while it sits for long periods.

I've even considered some sort of ND test where I could bump the hammer with something in a controlled situation at the range to see how hard a whack with the hammer down is needed to cause an ND.

Your thoughts?
WHY SHOULD YOU?! :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts

Your thoughts?
IF there is an internal safety, should be safe, but make sure hammer is lowered. Best.--John

·
8,501 Posts
Google "transfer bar safety". If your gun has a hammer spur (meaning the firing pin is on the hammer) the leave the chamber empty. If the face of the hammer is flat then you have a transfer bar safety and the gun cannot go off without the trigger being pulled. Most modern handguns have a transfer bar.

How do you like the EAA?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts