Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally took the plunge and bought my first revolver. :danceban: Its a Taurus 85, 2" barrel in .38spl. I have been wanting a revolver for dirty work and as an alternate carry or BUG.

My local gun shop had them for a good price so the money hit the barrelhead and now I just have to wait for it to get out of "gun jail" (CA 10-day waiting period).

I guess now it's time to go holster shopping. :image035:

This is a stock pic of the hammerless version, but I went with the hammer version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Pictures, or it never happened.
This is the one I picked up yesterday:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock pic added (can't take a real pic for 9 days and 2 hours, but who's counting?). Rugergirl, that's a nice piece!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice gun PastorPack. Sucks you have
to wait so long in CA. I have a Charter Arms
Undercover model 38spl and really like it.
Those short snubbies are much more accurate than
some give them credit for. Great carry gun or BUG

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice gun PastorPack. Sucks you have
to wait so long in CA. I have a Charter Arms
Undercover model 38spl and really like it.
Those short snubbies are much more accurate than
some give them credit for. Great carry gun or BUG
Yup, Gun jail is just one more reason to hate CA. But on the plus side, it gives me time to get goodies ordered and stock up on ammo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pastor pack, nice, my wife carries a SW642, When I carry it IWB I use a uncle mikes IWB for about $15.00

I carry a sp-101 3" .357 or a kahr CW40

our music pastor carries a kel tec .380 all the time.

Mark 10:45

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pastor pack, nice, my wife carries a SW642, When I carry it IWB I use a uncle mikes IWB for about $15.00

I carry a sp-101 3" .357 or a kahr CW40

our music pastor carries a kel tec .380 all the time.

Mark 10:45
Butterbean,

Thanks for the tip. I just found a cheapy (under $10) IWB and an even cheaper pocket holster ($6) for it on CheaperThanDirt.com. That should hold me over until I can decide on some nice gunleather.

:congrats: to your Music Pastor. I thought about the KelTec P3AT but they're not on the CA DOJ-approved list for new guns and they're impossible to find used. My EDC is an XD9sc, but I'm looking forward to the revolver option.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome to Wheel Gun World!!! I pack a old model 36 on a regular basis. Your Taurus should protect you well. Get plenty of practice with it as they aren't as forgiving with sighting and trigger control mistakes. I like to feed mine Speer Gold Dot 158 gr HP's. They're almost right on for POI and are accurate to boot.

Revolver has went bang everytime I've squeezed the trigger in over 37 years.:smile: Can't say that about all the semi's I've owned.:frown:

Congrats!:congrats:

·
Registered
419 Posts
That is a good gun. I have owned two Taurus 85s before. I bobbed the hammer on both and shot them a lot and never had any problems.

I have carried a snubbie of one kind or another for many years. I carried a S&W 37 and 36 the most and really enjoyed them. Most folks underestimate how accurate these little guns can be at reasonable ranges.
I currently always have a S&W 442 with CT grips in my pocket when I am hanging around the house in shorts and T-shirt.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a good gun. I have owned two Taurus 85s before. I bobbed the hammer on both and shot them a lot and never had any problems.
I was thinking about attempting a hammer bob job. What did you use to do it and how much did you take off. Looking at the hammer in the shop, I was thinking about 1/4 inch off.

·
Super Moderator
50,582 Posts
PastorPack...nice purchase, everyone should have at least ONE revolver.:yup::hand10:
You did well!:danceban:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was thinking about attempting a hammer bob job. What did you use to do it and how much did you take off. Looking at the hammer in the shop, I was thinking about 1/4 inch off.
I used a Dremel and a sanding drum to shorten and round the hammer on mine.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What we are showing picutres of snubbies. Well here's my Model 60.
I'll call your 60 with 2 of my SNUBBIES. Their a lil bigger, but still snubbies. :smile: I LOVE snubbies! :danceban:

Great for winter carry with the right loads!

Here's his lil .41 mag brother

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just sent the cylinder and ratchet for my 340 M&P to T.K. Custom to have it machined to accept moon clips.

I love carrying the J-frame!! Full house, defensive .357 mag. loads are a bit 'sharp' but I've tamed them down some by installing a Hogue 'Monogrip'. The grip is bigger and softer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Pastorpack very nice snubby you got there,I'm a huge snubby fan and own several heres my EDC a S&W 340 M&P wearing Altamont boot grips I love this little gun. Its a J-frame,scandium alloy,with an XS big dot tritium front sight,rear grove gutter trench sight and five shots of .357 magnum power in a 13.3oz package whats not to like?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You there are other kinds of revolvers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts