Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My opinion, I think many folks overlook the CC merits of the good old fashioned snubnosed 38 special. That's what I started with and I still carry them frequently (although I just purchased a Taurus PT709). My favorite is an old 1960s S&W model 49. Worn blue, wooden grip, heavier all steel, but as trusty as they come. Old School, simple, and effective. Here's a couple of pics of my snubs.

Attachments

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Great snubbies.
They actually are extremely popular these days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry a 637 Snub. I love it but I prefer my Ruger P345. I shoot
it better and its a .45 (shooting twice is silly:smile:).

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i got an model 60 with a bobbed hammer and the clip draw belt clip that is my "bug" on the job. got it in the 80's and it has been one of the best.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I am considering a Taurus 605 and using 38SP+P far a carry. I like the idea of being able to shoot 357Mag. if I every want to.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've got the snubby bug BAD. They're all I carry now, either a .44 bulldog or a 638 S&W...and I stalk the gun shops looking for more, with perfectly good autos sitting in the safe.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I've got the snubby bug BAD. They're all I carry now, either a .44 bulldog or a 638 S&W...and I stalk the gun shops looking for more, with perfectly good autos sitting in the safe.
How do you rate 44 Bull Dog as compared to SW 638?

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Got my first snub (Taurus 85) when my 1911 was off getting a trigger job and I felt naked without some sort of handgun. Then a few years later a lightweight Taurus with a shrouded hammer joined the fold, and that one is a frequent front-pocket companion. A Colt Dick Special is awaiting some customization, and meanwhile a 2" K-frame followed me home. Big-bore autoloaders are my primary carry guns, but I have .38 snubs for all occasions!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I love snubbies...I'm down to only my 642 right now, but I'm always prowling the gun shops for more of the older Smiths'...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I only have 1 snubbie right now a Taurus 85UL, but I find myself looking more and more at them. Would like to add a .357 snub.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got my first snub (Taurus 85) when my 1911 was off getting a trigger job and I felt naked without some sort of handgun.
I got my Taurus 85UL when my 1911 was out for 3 weeks getting taller sights installed. Now I carry it frequently. I would like to have a S&W bodygaurd someday. It would need to be old school, blue steel and wood grip with a Tyler T-Grip ...........sooooo cool.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My opinion, I think many folks overlook the CC merits of the good old fashioned snubnosed 38 special. That's what I started with and I still carry them frequently (although I just purchased a Taurus PT709). My favorite is an old 1960s S&W model 49. Worn blue, wooden grip, heavier all steel, but as trusty as they come. Old School, simple, and effective. Here's a couple of pics of my snubs.
I have three snubbies myself. During the summer I carry a smith model 60. I also have a smith model 66-1 w/ 2-1/2" barrel and a Colt Det. spcl. both of which get carried on occasion.

You may enjoy this thread:http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-guns/45553-superduper-snubbie-thread.html

BTW nice snubs!:hand10:

·
Registered
243 Posts
everyone should have a snubby for a bug,nothing like knowing you have the reliability of a revolver to back you up!!!!!!!! Taurus UL85

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have a bunch of them, but my favorite is my S&W M36 Chief's Special.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How do you rate 44 Bull Dog as compared to SW 638?
Totally different animal. The 638 just disappears on you due to its size, and the mode of carry is whatever you like (ankle, hip, whatever) The Bulldog is obviously larger due to its caliber, but it is surprisingly light. Because of its size, I only wear it on my hip with a large enough shirt to cover it. I realize the quality is not comparable, but it has been very reliable for me, and .44 special is a serious round.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts