Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I lucked upon a G48 MOS Blue Label. Had a Riton X3 Tactix MPRD installed when I bought it and bench zeroed to 25 yards. I finally had an opportunity to shoot it yesterday.

It was a frustrating and disappointing outing. I tested it with Blazer 115gr FMJ, Federal HST 124gr, Hornady Critical Duty 147gr, and PMC 115gr FMJ. About 80% of the time it failed to extract, and I had a sneaking suspicion regarding the cause.

I brought it back to the shop and the owner confirmed my suspicion. The optic mounting screws were just a hair too long, the right screw was protruding into the channel and interfering with the extractor. They shaved about .010" off the screws and re-tested. Now it cycles 100%. The red dot takes some getting used to but I'm starting to like it a lot more.

This is why I never CCW any gun, whether brand new or after modification, until it has successfully cycled at least a couple hundred rounds flawlessly. It's an expensive proposition these days but absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
If the weapon fails when you need it, there will probably be no second chance. Glad it's working well now.

Reactions: DavesYourUncle

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
A few weeks ago I lucked upon a G48 MOS Blue Label. Had a Riton X3 Tactix MPRD installed when I bought it and bench zeroed to 25 yards. I finally had an opportunity to shoot it yesterday.

It was a frustrating and disappointing outing. I tested it with Blazer 115gr FMJ, Federal HST 124gr, Hornady Critical Duty 147gr, and PMC 115gr FMJ. About 80% of the time it failed to extract, and I had a sneaking suspicion regarding the cause.

I brought it back to the shop and the owner confirmed my suspicion. The optic mounting screws were just a hair too long, the right screw was protruding into the channel and interfering with the extractor. They shaved about .010" off the screws and re-tested. Now it cycles 100%. The red dot takes some getting used to but I'm starting to like it a lot more.

This is why I never CCW any gun, whether brand new or after modification, until it has successfully cycled at least a couple hundred rounds flawlessly. It's an expensive proposition these days but absolutely necessary.
How long did it take for the problem to manifest itself? I am guessing way before you hit 200 rounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts