Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a root canal yesterday morning and got home and I wear my Glock 19 even when I am home but I will not wear my outside "cover" shirt unless/until I leave the house, but as I was having a reaction to the anesthetics they used I was not planning on leaving the house for anything - in fact I called in to work. Then all the sudden a knock at the door. It was a lady from the neighborhood going door to door asking people if they had seen her lost Yorky.

I told her that I had had a root canal and just got back a short while ago and had not seen her dog and at that time she just sort of froze for a second. I realized she had seen my Glock on my side. At that point she could not get away from my house quickly enough lol. I was standing inside my own house in my doorway the entire time mind you, but she wanted away heheh. I called out to her as she walked to my next door neighbor how to let her know if I did see the dog later on, and she called back to me as she kept walking "call the pound"

I think that was probably the first time she had ever seen someone in real life wearing a firearm and she definitely was unnerved by it. Either that or she was a progressive anti-type.

Guess those are the reactions I try to avoid by always carrying concealed. It is a shame though if you ask me.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Should have kept the firearm locked up if you were having a reaction.

Reactions: wdbailey

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't think the OP did ANYTHING wrong, but this is an example of how SA can fail. Just sayin'...
I don't necessarily think that the OP did anything wrong. It is, after all, HIS house and he should be able to determine whether or not he's in condition to handle a firearm. I'm just saying what I would have done. Maybe the lady that showed up at his door has an aversion to guns in general or maybe she has an aversion to people who have guns and admit that they just had a root canal performed.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Some people (like the neighbor who badly reacted) live in abject fear and ignorance, on certain things. Very common. All the more common, for the flames being fanned by those who want to destroy the liberties of the rest of us and want the mob fearful and ignorant.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeeze.. I said I was having a reaction.. quickened heart beat and such, I didn't say I was incapable of handling a firearm or impaired in any way... Also I live alone. So no one else in the house either or reason to ever "put my firearm up"

Just for clarifications sake.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I don't necessarily think that the OP did anything wrong. It is, after all, HIS house and he should be able to determine whether or not he's in condition to handle a firearm. I'm just saying what I would have done. Maybe the lady that showed up at his door has an aversion to guns in general or maybe she has an aversion to people who have guns and admit that they just had a root canal performed.
I said that. But -he- seemed to feel it was a bit of a face palm moment, IDK. The thing is he forgot he was OCing, he didn't lock up his gun when he was having a reaction, he didn't have good awareness. Being able to have good SA when it counts can be problematic. It's just a part of the 'right approach', and it's important to realize that any one aspect has a failure rate (though maybe, rarely).

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
:rofl:

You were drunk BigPony, fess up! You shouldn't have been waiving your Glock in that poor lady's face either!

Yea, I don't know what you could have done differently. Just make a note that one particular neighbor is afraid of her neighbors being armed. How does she know you're not an off duty LEO or agent?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Jeeze.. I said I was having a reaction.. quickened heart beat and such, I didn't say I was incapable of handling a firearm or impaired in any way... Also I live alone. So no one else in the house either or reason to ever "put my firearm up"

Just for clarifications sake.
I've had several root canals & other dental surgeries. But, I have never been affected in a way that hurt my ability to handle a firearm or even drive myself home afterwards. Novacaine doesn't affect you negatively and nitrous oxide wears off fairly fast. Pain pills can affect a persons ability & judgement. But, for some people they have no noticeable affect on a persons ability to function normally.

-

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've had several root canals & other dental surgeries. But, I have never been affected in a way that hurt my ability to handle a firearm or even drive myself home afterwards. Novacaine doesn't affect you negatively and nitrous oxide wears off fairly fast. Pain pills can affect a persons ability & judgement. But, for some people they have no noticeable affect on a persons ability to function normally.

-
I'm a big coward. I do IV sedation and hydrocodone. :rofl: So, I'm pretty much useless the rest of the day. I feel good though. :smile:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I just had Novocaine or whatever that stuff is. I was not put under, but they used enough of it t hat it was able to cause a reaction as it entered my blood stream later which increased my heart rate mainly for a few hours. I was able to easily drive myself home. I prolly should have clarified that, I think a few assumed I had been put to sleep for the procedure. I was in no way impaired from being able to handle my firearm in any manner whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yeah, I just had Novocaine or whatever that stuff is. I was not put under, but they used enough of it t hat it was able to cause a reaction as it entered my blood stream later which increased my heart rate mainly for a few hours. I was able to easily drive myself home. I prolly should have clarified that, I think a few assumed I had been put to sleep for the procedure. I was in no way impaired from being able to handle my firearm in any manner whatsoever.
Thanks for the clarification. I tried to clarify my response also in that I was just talking about myself. My dentist never lets me drive home after surgery. I probably couldn't find the car anyway.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
It's interesting the differing reactions people have to seeing a normal everyday guy with an openly carried gun on in different parts of the country. We live in SouthWest Tennessee. I have open carried to pretty much everywhere around here and I have never gotten the type of reaction you got in your own doorway, save for one old lady I met in the parking lot of our local supermarket. And here's the kicker, she was here visiting someone, she was from New England. She thought it was crazy that I could do that and when I explained that since she had been here for about a week, she had interacted with tons of people who were armed even though she couldn't see it, she couldn't get the heck out of the South fast enough according to what she said.

Weird.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts