Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out shooting today again. I took around 300 rounds. I had already shot 250 when I was on my way back to the target and I heard rocks falling behind me. I had my Peltor's on so the rocks falling sounded like a landslide. I spun around and drew my USP and something ran into the woods on the hill above me. I'm almost positive it wasn't an animal, because I already had shot 5 boxes of ammo and NO animal would stick around after that IMHO. So I yelled "hey" and ran up the hill after whatever it was, but couldn't find anything. I shoot ina little rock quarry thats on private land, and since I'm the only one allowed there other than the owner's family, nobody had any business being there. I looked around on th ehila while and decided that there wer 2 ways the rocks could of fallen. 1: the rock was thrown down. And 2: they saw I had ear muffs on and wer careless when they started down the hill but when the rocks fell they started to run. I live in a small town (542 people) and I doubt anyone knows what electronic shooting muffs are so I can se ehow an unknowing person would be careless coming down a hill. I talked ot my cop friend and he said that maybe they were curious. But, that being the case why didn't they say something while I was reloading my mags, or on my way to the target. I have about a 25yd walk to my target and I was abut 10 feet from it when I heard the rocks, so they had plenty of time to yell or whateer. There's been alot of wierd stuff going on in my town lately, one guy was kidnapped and killed, another guy was shot to death. Needless to say, I won't be shooting all my mags anymore. 1 will always be in my pistol, nomatter what.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's good policy for any range.

Occasional problems with cretins occur and they wait until you're out of shells.

Once that happens, you have expensive clubs that they may try to take.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Interesting - this is one reason why when at range on my own in particular, I will always have carry piece loaded and where it belongs. If I have just shot with it then I'll re-insert the carry mag.

Time downrange sorting out targets is vulnerable time - even more when perhaps other guns on the bench - good reason actually to have a buddy along.

I had one time when on my own and a strange guy turned up - said he was a member but - I was uncomfortable with him and after some chat he left but - I was wary - but armed and wary!!!

Definite need for yellow when shooting on your own.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Shooters are not alone feeling a little jumpy when they are the only ones on the range. I shot during the week mostly by myself and I always felt there was someone standing in back of me. The range had a great view of the mountains and it was just a nice place to shoot. I felt much better when the LEO would be a few hills over at least people would be walking by and you could hear their crunch in the gravel with the electronic head sets.
I really understand the jumpy part.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Gotta be careful. Paranoid or not paranoid enough?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
If I can't persuade SOMEBODY to go with me, I am on a higher alert, and more safety conscious, if that's possible. I keep the carry mag handy, no matter what. What are friends for?

You're only paranoid untill they get the drop on you.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
I always remove my carry mag and ammunition and put it in my pocket. When I'm done and about to leave, I wipe the gun down, replace my carry mag and ammunition and reholster for the trip home. I have never, honestly, thought much about anything happening when I am downrange except general paranoia about idiots back at the benches mishandling a weapon. That keeps me in an almost constant condition yellow-orange for accidents but not really expecting anything intentionally happening. This gives me something to think about. Glad I normally shoot indoors and never leave the shooting station....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does this quarry get a fair bit of shooting? I know personally we've had to stop shooting because of deer/cows/animals walking not 20yds away on the range. Animals get used to the shots if they are around it enough. Possibility perhaps...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Variable, nope. I'm theonly one allowed back there other than the owners family. And Sunday and Monday were the only two times anybody has ever been back there to shoot since I've been going down in those woods (6 years)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Always wear the G-suit, make a stalk out of cheking your targets, and they will never know where you are. Oh, and get a can on that rifle! :biggrin:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have always made it a practice to keep a loaded mag in reserve after I shoot. I don't like having my guns layed out and empty in case someone gets smart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always CCW another weapon even when at the range. I also take my empty mags downrange with me. I would really hate to be checking my targets and someone using my own weapon to shoot me. Bad enought to be shot at all but with your own weapons is just not right

·
Registered
255 Posts
As an older, wiser shooter once told me, shooters are actually prime targets for robbers. To be an active shooter, one must have a certain amount of disposable income. Like photographers' cameras & lenses, shooters' firearms are worth decent cash to a fence. The only downside? While a photo bug may snap the robber's pic (big deal, if the robber gets the camera, anyway), the shooter could ruin the robber's whole day!

I've instructed my son to always have a trusted companion when he goes to the range, and I try to follow the same advice. Besides, shootin' with a buddy is more fun!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Last time I went, my Kel Tec P-11 was in my front pocket.

As I remember, didn't the two shooters who started the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami ambush several people while they were target shooting? I think they killed a one or two people practicing out in the Everglades.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Some time ago I started to run a solvent patch through the bore right after picking up things (the only policing I get to do anymore) on the range. I thought what if I'm caught in some crossfire on the way home where someone is killed and I can't prove it wasn't me. But I'd hope forensics would clear me, and I was just being needlessly paranoid. They would? Wouldn't they?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ive had a few instances of people coming up to watch...uh...no. If you wanna watch go to the local range...you dont watch me out in the desert...

I almost always have another loaded pistol Im not shooting...and I always have a loaded rifle or shotgun there to. I too keep my carry mag in my back pocket just in case.

Just today me and a friend were out at a local spot that is known...I had the Bushy stoked and ready.

Never let your guard down even when out shooting....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts