Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to the gun shop/range today and i took ur advice and got some jhp for my carry weapon and i did a little research and desided to go with federal premium hydra-shok jhp. The guy workin the range seemed to think it was a good choice what do you guys think.
so i stayed a while and went through mylast 50 rnds of pmc fmj, and i'll just use that at the range like you suggested.:banana:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I carry Hydra-Shock ammo in my Kel-Tec 380. Carried it for years in my duty guns until the agency change us out to Golden Saber. There is nothing wrong with it. Make sure that your gun will feed it and shoot it.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I like em all right. I use the low recoil Hydrashocks in my 1911 4". Also have some for my .40 HK. i usually shoot em up atleast once a year and get fresh ammo for carry. Probably not nessesary , but I do anyway.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Fed Hydra-Shok® is Great

CorBon REALLY "Kicks It" Also.........see below.

Federal Hydra-Shok® .45Auto 230gr. vel. 850 Energy in ' lbs 370
CorBon 45ACP +P 165gr JHP vel. 1250 Energy in ' lbs 573

Federal Hydra-Shok® 9mm vel 1120 Energy in ' lbs 345
CorBon 9mm +P 90gr JHP 124gr. vel 1500 Energy in ' lbs 450

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I have nothing major against HyraShocks - still have some in stock. But overall found them not quite as good in my tests as the Gold Dots.

I did hear that current supplies of HShoks are slightly different and supposedly better than early versions. They do work - no doubt on that score. These pics are my tests thru R9 some while ago - not sure why the middle HShocks went as it did but - notice the consistent results from GD's.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I did an expansion test by filling milk jugs with water, denim draped over 1st jug and setting a large piece of ceder behind it. I tested 124grain Federal Hydrashoks and 124grain +P Remington Gold Sabers. The hydrashoks expanded perfectly and penetrated 3 jugs. The Gold Sabers were not found. Either they changed direction and exited at an angle or they dissentigrated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice

[QUOTE='75scout]I did an expansion test by filling milk jugs with water, denim draped over 1st jug and setting a large piece of ceder behind it. I tested 124grain Federal Hydrashoks and 124grain +P Remington Gold Sabers. The hydrashoks expanded perfectly and penetrated 3 jugs. The Gold Sabers were not found. Either they changed direction and exited at an angle or they dissentigrated.[/QUOTE]
thats what i like to here i went with this round because i wanted good stopping power but still having good penetration. i've been shooting fmj for the past 2.5 yrs being in the USCG until now they authorized 40s&w jhp when switching to the sig 229r dak. and i got use to fmj penetration and i didn't realize how much better jhp was for personal defense. now i know. and i'm pretty happy with my choice. ! more ? though what is the cartridge material on that fed hydra shok?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
what is the cartridge material on that fed hydra shok?
Not quite sure what you mean!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
My agency used to issue us Hydra Shok 147 grain JHPs....I wasn't thrilled with the choice, but I'm sure they would have gotten the job done had I (or anyone else from my agency) had to fire them into a bad guy....provided we did our part by hitting the intended target's vital areas.

We swapped those rounds for Speer standard velocity 124 grain Gold Dot JHPs about a year before we swapped our SIGARMS P228's for .40 caliber Sigs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Used to carry Hydra-Shoks, just recently switched to El Dorado Starfire JHPs. Both are great, as is Corbons, I just seem to have better POA with Starfires.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Like Chris

I also carry Gold Dot.
I carry it because my local LEOs carry it...in addition to the fact that Speer produces a proven effective High Quality accurate ammo of careful manufacture.
It also feeds extremely well in all three of my "different maker" primary carry firearms.
It shoots easy with minimal muzzle flash in low light situations AKA no night time huge fireball.
I place paramount importance on shot placement & I continue to count on that to get me through any possible ugly scenario.

I admit that I am probably placing an undue importance on the fact that I always try to carry what has already been pre~approved (and considered to be acceptable for carry) by my local Law Enforcement Officers.
It's probably just a personal quirk of mine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They are good although I have experianced (Only twice...) misfires w/ them (I have fired litterally thousands of them & 2 out of that ain't bad..! I have never had a misfire w/ "Silvertips"; fired many More thousands of them..!
Just my own .02 cents...

Regards,

(erh)

·
Registered
340 Posts
QKShooter said:
I also carry Gold Dot.
I carry it because my local LEOs carry it...in addition to the fact that Speer produces a proven effective High Quality accurate ammo of careful manufacture.
It also feeds extremely well in all three of my "different maker" primary carry firearms.
It shoots easy with minimal muzzle flash in low light situations AKA no night time huge fireball.
I place paramount importance on shot placement & I continue to count on that to get me through any possible ugly scenario.

I admit that I am probably placing an undue importance on the fact that I always try to carry what has already been pre~approved (and considered to be acceptable for carry) by my local Law Enforcement Officers.
It's probably just a personal quirk of mine.

+1

same idea here QK....230 gr .45 Gold Dots (EDC)...165 gr .40 Gold Dots and 124 gr+p 9mm Gold Dots...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
P95Carry said:
Not quite sure what you mean!
the shell i couldnt find what it was made out of it didnt look like brass?:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ahhh gottcha. AFAIK the rounds are still using a brass case but, nickle plated and so - shiny silvery looking.

Only other two main materials you'll find are aluminum (some CCI Blazer ammo) and steel - good example being Wolf.

There is also some .223 I have used with plastic case atop a brass base.

Anyways - H'Shocks - nickle plated brass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P95Carry said:
Ahhh gottcha. AFAIK the rounds are still using a brass case but, nickle plated and so - shiny silvery looking.

Only other two main materials you'll find are aluminum (some CCI Blazer ammo) and steel - good example being Wolf.

There is also some .223 I have used with plastic case atop a brass base.

Anyways - H'Shocks - nickle plated brass.
thankyou you have been most helpfull to me these past few days it's highly appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts