Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with my seat belt on. Now normally I won't wear a seat belt, ya I know all that safety stuff. But I look at it as government telling what I can and can't do.

But lately I HAVE been wearing my seat belt and it got me to thinking? If I DID NOT wear one of these: The Holster Vest in oilskin, how would I wear a holster that I could get to my firearm quickly and efficiently while wearing a seat belt??

How would someone wearing a Crossbreed IWB ( I have a Mini-tuck) get to there firearm with a seat belt on? How fast could I release the seat belt AND access my firearm if some nutcase tried to carjack me.

it seems to me the only effective way to carry a firearm in a vehicle with a seat belt on is either in this type of vest or in some kind of shoulder holster? or NOT wear the seat belt?

Thoughts? Ideas, I'm open for suggestions

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Concealed Carry outfitters, but after reviewing the post it does sound a little like a commercial :35: if that is inappropriate feel free to delete or remove the post:blink:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a car gun! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
I think the best way is to wear a cross draw.

There is no quick way to draw without the possibilty of fouling it with the seatbelt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just take mine out most times and tuck it under my leg

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the best way is to wear a cross draw.

There is no quick way to draw without the possibilty of fouling it with the seatbelt.
if you were wearing a cross draw,you still have the problem of a coat or shirt over the firearm and you would still have the problem of fouling the draw in the belt?

I might try a horizontal draw shoulder holster, that way I could slide my hand under the seat belt, outer coat, inner shirt and still retrieve and present the firearm in an effective, efficient manor without removing the seat belt.

I guess some experimentation is in order :yup:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just take mine out most times and tuck it under my leg
ya, I have done that while in "the hood", but then your not really "concealed" are you :wink: if a cop sees it while your at a traffic light or something, that might present a problem.:duh::wink::redface::redface:

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Mine sits right in my IWB hoster on my hip and is easy to get to, draw, etc.

·
Registered
764 Posts
mine stays IWB, I usually only wear my seatbelt when I'm off roading in the Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I see several options for holster draw in the car, and the most obvious is to practice with what you are now using. One can learn to use the hands properly when drawing from the strong side (for me, the right). It's a matter of using two hands...one on the belt which moves down to the release, and the other draws the gun following the steering wheel around to the window, etc. There are numerous videos on doing this.
Then one can use the shoulder holster, the fanny pack, or this... FIST, INC.

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!

·
Registered
809 Posts
with my seat belt on. Now normally I won't wear a seat belt, ya I know all that safety stuff. But I look at it as government telling what I can and can't do.
After 6 years of FD and responding to God knows how many car wrecks, I won't get in a vehicle without putting my seat belt on. They are proven to save lifes.

·
Registered
13 Posts

In my Toyota Yaris Hatchback I put my S&W 38 Special on the right side between the seat and console in a UM's holster and put my hat over it..Still concealed and easy to get to..Cheers. :sheep:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wear mine at around 3 o'clock, concealed, and with my seat belt on. I have practiced with an empty gun at the range when I could and under different training guides. I don't have a problem drawing at all.

Without warning is going to be a hard draw as usually two hands are necessary to draw in a sitting situation concealed with a seatbelt. It isn't the belt that causes the real problem but the trapped garment.

At a stop and no need to steer, use the off weakhand to release the belt. Most righthanded folks should practice running the left hand under the belt that crosses the chest and come down and out to release the buckle and swing the belt out of the way. Most times you don't want to stay seated in the vehicle as you become a easier trapped target. Practice releasing the belt and use this method everyday.

You can then use the stonghand or a combination of the two hands to get you out of the vehicle and clear the weapon. I don't like cross draws, too many people and too much body parts can get covered by the muzzle in a sitting situation.

Try this with an empty gun. Sitting in the seat without the belt on, draw and bring the gun to bear over to the driverside window. Look at how the muzzle travels and more importantly, where it ends up; NEXT to, or very near your face!

Take some time to really consider how you are going to react to a threat and try a walkthru. Hope this helps... And BTW the holster hanging between the knees isn't going to be a legal storage position for most states I believe, just a guess there.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wear mine at around 3 o'clock, concealed, and with my seat belt on. I have practiced with an empty gun at the range when I could and under different training guides. I don't have a problem drawing at all.

Without warning is going to be a hard draw as usually two hands are necessary to draw in a sitting situation concealed with a seatbelt. It isn't the belt that causes the real problem but the trapped garment.

At a stop and no need to steer, use the off weakhand to release the belt. Most righthanded folks should practice running the left hand under the belt that crosses the chest and come down and out to release the buckle and swing the belt out of the way. Most times you don't want to stay seated in the vehicle as you become a easier trapped target. Practice releasing the belt and use this method everyday.

You can then use the stonghand or a combination of the two hands to get you out of the vehicle and clear the weapon. I don't like cross draws, too many people and too much body parts can get covered by the muzzle in a sitting situation.

Try this with an empty gun. Sitting in the seat without the belt on, draw and bring the gun to bear over to the driverside window. Look at how the muzzle travels and more importantly, where it ends up; NEXT to, or very near your face!

Take some time to really consider how you are going to react to a threat and try a walkthru. Hope this helps... And BTW the holster hanging between the knees isn't going to be a legal storage position for most states I believe, just a guess there.
very good post:hand10:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I appendix carry (1:30-2:00) and I can access my weapon as easily while sitting as I can standing. When I get into the car I fasten the belt below the grip of the gun and I ALWAYS make sure that I pull my shirt up and over the top of the belt. If needed, I can pull up the shirt with no hindrance from the belt and pull the gun out of my IWB holster. Whatever it is you do, make sure that EVERy TIME you get into the car that your weapon is accessible.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Cross draw. Tested numerous times cutting hay and shooting rats. I draw and shoot over a hundred times each summer while seated, with a seat belt on.

Why would you not wear a seat belt. You are alot more likely to be saved by your seat belt than your gun.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cross draw. Tested numerous times cutting hay and shooting rats. I draw and shoot over a hundred times each summer while seated, with a seat belt on.

Why would you not wear a seat belt. You are alot more likely to be saved by your seat belt than your gun.
please read the entire post? I am starting to wear my seat belt, I just don't need or want the government telling me what I can and can not do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts