Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hanging out in my Safe for lack of anything else to do. I pulled out a couple of guns that I have Carried in bygone days, and Comparing them to what is carried by most Today. Back then, Plastic Guns didn't exist, and Steel Framed was the Norm. I doubt If I Would carry one of these Beauties today due to their weight, but the're still fun to shoot. Here's a shot of my old Colt officer 45acp, and my S&W 66-3 357mag. Today my favorite carry piece is my Kimber K6S 2" 6 shooter

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Back in the last centaury my first carry gun was either a 2-inch Model 10/15 depending on what command post had on hand and just for nostalgia sake I had to purchase my own and the same type upside down shoulder holster (original) was stolen. back then while hunting in California I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk in an X-15 shoulder holster. Still in the last centaury I switched over to 1911s which I still carry.

Safariland19_01.JPG Mod_10_R.JPG

·
Registered
251 Posts
No difference from yesteryear and today.
1911 and .357 wheel gun.
I works for me so I do not see a need to change.
Same here. I toyed with some other platforms, including some polymer-framed striker-fired pistols, but settled on a pocket-carried snub .357 for EDC. I back it with its twin, AIWB, when I'm away from home, or my Commander-sized 1911 (.45 ACP, naturally) if I'm carrying for "professional" reasons.

All-steel, all the time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, I'm 51, but I only got into handguns in the last 5-6 years, so "back in the day" for me doesn't go too far back. I started with an LCP in the pocket - figured it was probably all I could get away with. I've since learned (mostly from hanging out on the Defensive Carry forum :wink:) that I can conceal guns that are much larger. Now, it varies: Glock 19, Sig p229 Legion, Dan Wesson V-Bob or CCO. I know, I should probably stick to one manual-of-arms. But I like all of them...

·
Registered
19 Posts
So what did I carry in the good old days(that weren't that good) handgun with five magazines, rifle with seven magazines, two fragmentation grenades, one CS gas grenade and one smoke grenade plus related equipment. Today I get by with a S&W Shield 9X19mm and one additional magazine. :smile:

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Wow....so far back.......Gonna need to do a little diggin in the safe (I've got a "few" that I still have........4 inch Model 28...3 1/2 inch 27.....2 1/2 inch 19 a few 36's several 60's....4 inch 29s 6 1/2 inch 29s... Browning Hi Powers.... Smith 59s....Browning BDA 380...a few 1911s too......

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
I carried my S&W 686 snubbie in a soft suede IWB holster for quite a while before switching to carrying my first Glock which was a 19. Back then (around 1996) I had no idea what a proper gun belt was either so I was using a 1 1/4 "thing" called a gun belt but it sure was not thick or firm or stable. Still, I carried everywhere that was legal!

I was younger, stronger and weighed more back then also. No way could I carry that revolver now no matter what equipment I used! I'm grateful I can still carry and still shoot pretty accurately, if not at as far away distances as previously.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Started of with a H&R pre-999 had to carry it on the farm when the sisters where out playing, started learning Handguns and the old me two, one being a Colt 357, and a S&W 27 3 1/2", when I started with the badge side of things it was a 1911 38 auto, followed by one in 38super, deputy time was often a 44spl triple lock. on to a 29 4" loaded with believe or not heavy hand loads, went to work for the state and it was straight issue MDL--10 pencil bbl the old 200 soft lead highway load, over time it went to the bull models, then to the SIG's 228/229/220 , always off duty, our on my own was a combo Dick Spl or 36, backing up a 1911 of some sort, or later the 1086, don't have any of them any more do to life changes. Most of the time now I make due with a Glock 42, until the 220 comes back from conversion to DAO, the the 42 will go to back up

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
I was nineteen and just back from Viet Nam in 1967 when I bought my first handgun from my brother-in-law. It was a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. It was my only handgun for many years.

When the state I lived in went from may issue (not likely) to shall issue in 1992, I got my first concealed handgun permit. The state required training and qualifying at the range with up to two handguns. They were listed on the back of the permit including the serial numbers. My permit listed a Glock G20 10mm and an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts