Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I carried a S&W Mod 15 snub nose, 1911, and later a brand new Berretta 92F while I was aircrew on helicopters. I went through the Police Academy with a Ruger S/S Security Six .357 My first issued PD gun was well worn S&W Model 19 w/ a Model 36 as a BUG/ off-duty.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hmmm, back in the day...
Well, once back in 1969, I was issued an M1 carbine during an alert. Very unusual for a USAF electronics dude, in England, and I had to turn it back in after a very brief stint of being having an actual rifle and live ammo. The M1 carbine was not known for accuracy or effectiveness, but they were light and easy to carry.

Then, in the 70s when deer hunting, I OCd (the only time I've ever OCd) an S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman Special 357 wheelie in a western holster (with cartridge loops). Usually I had it loaded with a birdshot treat for Mister Rattlesnake with hollow points filling the belt spaces. Then I learned from experience that the 357 birdshot doesn't always do major harm to a buzztail, so I kept hollow points in the cylinder after that.

Fast forwarding, beyond the "day", it's been semiauto pistols since I got my CCW in 2012. The first piece was pretty clunky (but nice shooting) Ruger pistol that I owned long before I considered concealed carry. Now I'm in the correct century w a Ruger SR40C and a P365, (much better to carry than anything I had back in the day.)

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
This sorta sounds like one of those "What did you do in the war, daddy?" questions.

Back during the great gasoline shortage, I was a mid-manager for Exxon and was in charge of three retail gasoline self serve stations. Since I carried keys to the safes in all three locations, and frequently had to deal with violent, unruly folks who demanded more than 10 gallons of gas, I carried a Colt 1911 OWB. I never had to draw it though. I guess the looks were enough.

Only time I ever had it out I've written about on here, was the night I had to cover for a cashier and had a couple of urchins consider a robbery. One brought a tire iron inside while the other circled the kiosk making sure they were alone with me. When the brave one came to the little window, I set the 1911 on the counter pointed directly at the family jewels. They decided they had a previous engagement. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Well, I'm 51, but I only got into handguns in the last 5-6 years, so "back in the day" for me doesn't go too far back. I started with an LCP in the pocket - figured it was probably all I could get away with. I've since learned (mostly from hanging out on the Defensive Carry forum :wink:) that I can conceal guns that are much larger. Now, it varies: Glock 19, Sig p229 Legion, Dan Wesson V-Bob or CCO. I know, I should probably stick to one manual-of-arms. But I like all of them...
I am the same age and even though I have shot guns most of my life I only started carrying concealed about 5 years ago as well so mine started off with a Glock 26 and have added a Glock 23 and should start working in the S+W shield 40 S+W.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
In my family handguns were not in favor. Everyone had long guns , but those with a handgun were either a LEO, or an Outlaw.
When I got out on my own I had shot a few handguns but never spent much effort in learning to shoot them well. I had a Iver Johnson 22 revolver, a Colt SAA in 44-40, and a S&W M&P 38. All of them had long barrels and were not suited for concealed carry. When My first wife and I split the sheets, There was some discussion about how long till I was going to be at the bottom of the lake!
I got my first carry permit in 1982, and my first carry gun was a Raven 25 auto. At the time I was making $100 per week, and that's what I could afford. Shortly after that I found a Tok-Egypt surplus pistol.in 9mm. It was as flat as a Tokarev and only a 4" barrel. I carried that until I found a Browning Hi power. By then I was making $500 a week and bought my first brand new pistol. A Model 66 S&W Stainless Steel .357 mag. That was the first pistol I ever spent any time shooting. It was easy to shoot and easy to carry.

By 86 I had moved to a county that did not issue carry permits and I let that go. My ex and her family found other people to hate.

I have owned a lot of different handguns over the years since, but only the last 10 years or so I started carrying again and really took the time to learn to shoot a handgun well. I used to think of a handgun as only a tool to fight your way to your long gun! DR

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The first gun I carried every where I could get away with. Pawn shop buy in 1977 for $75. Not my gun but, same model.
1971-Vintage-Old-Model-Ruger-Super-Single-Six-Convertible-22-Revolver-.JPG
First gun I bought specifically for every day concealed carry in 1994 and first gun I bought brand new. $204. Carried it and nothing else for 16 years before I bought another handgun.
M88.jpg

·
Premium Member
33,804 Posts
We are in our sixth year of carry in this state, so there ain’t no back in the day.

Back in the day I often carried a Crosman 760 pump gun across my handle bars. Can’t do that today.
Ohio is in its 14th year, so nothing legal to report here, either.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
1990 (Age 14)- .38 S&W DAO Enfield (Generally open carry on private and unrestricted public land.)

1994 (Age 18)- 7.62x25mm CZ-52 (HS graduation present from my Dad- On my belt during one of my formative hostile two-legged encounters.)

1997 (Age 21)- .357 Ruger Police Service-Six (got it on my B-Day.)

1998 (Age 22)- .38 Special Smith and Wesson Model 60-12 (Paid for with one of my first 2LT paychecks- heading out into the world.)

1999 (Age 23)- .22 Mag NAA Mini (Sometimes discretion is necessary.)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The first gun I carried every where I could get away with. Pawn shop buy in 1977 for $75. Not my gun but, same model.
View attachment 327060
First gun I bought specifically for every day concealed carry in 1994 and first gun I bought brand new. $204. Carried it and nothing else for 16 years before I bought another handgun.
View attachment 327062

First gun I bought brand spanky new was a Ruger SP101 in 1990. Been carrying one ever since. All the ones before that were from pawn shops, except the ones my dad gave me as a teen.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts