Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My 1st carry gun was a ruger single six when I was a kid roaming the woods with my chipmunk looking to shoot any animal that moved. This was back in the 90s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Loved that same gun when I was a young person in the early 60s. I still have it! Mine was convertible between LR and 22Mag, was that the same with your Ruger?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Smith & Wesson revolvers in .38spl and .357 Magnum for decades.
When my oldest son came home from a desert deployment he turned me on to the Beretta 92 and the 1911.
Now, I've only a few revolvers, the rest are semi-auto.

My only long gun experience is with an M870 riot gun and a .410 snake charmer.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Wow....so far back.......Gonna need to do a little diggin in the safe (I've got a "few" that I still have........4 inch Model 28...3 1/2 inch 27.....2 1/2 inch 19 a few 36's several 60's....4 inch 29s 6 1/2 inch 29s... Browning Hi Powers.... Smith 59s....Browning BDA 380...a few 1911s too......
Some of you guys make me ill, but none so far as much as Class. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
From the beginning it was these two. The Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel came along first in late 1975 with the Colt Model 1911 added in spring of 1978.

Now, more often than not it's the same ol' Smith & Wesson Model 10 as back then, but the Colt Model 1911 is in semi-retirement in favor of a Colt Government Model from 1967.

I'm liable to play the field though and will choose to tote any of several other favorites as the whim strikes. I'm likin' a Colt Government Model in .38 Super of late. I am not going to settle on one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Man, it is getting tough to remember back to the good old days! If my memory serves me (and it isn't always very faithful), I guess I'd have to say a Colt 1911--Commander-length barrel. I've "danced with a few other girls" after that, but still have the 1911 (although it doesn't get carried) while some of those other girls have gone off to greener pastures.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
OP left "good old days" undefined; I assume 25 years ago sufficient to qualify.
1995 - Concealed carry became legal here, Glock 26/27 was easy for me to conceal AIWB. I still have both of them.

However, being optimistic, I'm thinking the "good old days" could be now, if (assuming I'm alive) I look back 25 years from now.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Lima Charlie - Hate to one-up you, but I got a revolver cap pistol (Mattel?) with a gun belt that had a swing-out derringer built in to the front of the buckle. Push your belly out and the derringer would swing out and shoot your adversary with a plastic bullet. It was three-gun rig, with a single shot replica of a small Sharps buffalo rifle (I think). I saved my lawn-mowing money for greeny stick-em caps. I would guess that entire rig in pristine condition would sell for BIG BUCKS today.

However, back in the good old days as an MP sentry dog handler, it was a 1911A1 from the armory on a web belt with two spare mags. When a shift would change we'd simply hand over the entire rig to the dog handler coming on duty. Apparently we were all about the same size because I don't recall ever adjusting the web belt. Accurate? Oh, sure. We tried knocking off some of the rabbits that were running rampant around the battery (Nike Hercules air defense missiles) and couldn't hit them. And, the guns dated back to WWII or Korea with magazines of the same era. Seldom could you get the gun to feed and fire more than 4-5 shots.

Since then I've had zero interest in 1911s. My current armory consists of a Sig P365 (EDC), a Glock 42 (pocket carry) and a Glock 23.2 (HD).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My earliest days of concealed carry were when I was a rookie big-city police officer, in early 1984, as Texas did not yet have a licensing system for private citizens to carry handguns, concealed or openly. I had a 4” S&W Model 686, a 2.5” S&W Model 66, a 4” S&W Model 581, a 2” S%W Model 60, and a 4” S&W Model 629. I bought a high-ride Bucheimer thumb-break concealment holster for the 2.5” 66, as it was the hot, trendy concealment weapon of that time, but seem to remember experimenting with carrying the 4” sixguns concealed, too. I remember considering the Model 60 mostly as a secondary weapon.

In March 1985, one year after my sworn date, I was allowed to carry an auto-loading pistol, and started toting an HK P7, pre-M8, on and off the clock. My concealment rig was a Bianchi Askins Avenger. One reason for the “down-grade” to 9mm was having fired too many .44 Magnums, during the preceding year. By the end of 1985, the PD mandated a switch to open-top, retention-type holsters for duty revolvers, and issued the Bianchi Hurricane, while authorizing the Rogers Trooper as an alternative for individual officer purchase. I had already had one scare, trying to claw my P7 from the then-standard flap-style holster, so I bought an open-top Roger Trooper holster, 4” N-Frame size. (Officers carrying autos on duty had to continue using flap rigs, while in uniform, until the Safariland SS III, later known as the 070, was authorized.)

For the rest of the Eighties, I carried an S&W Model 58, .41 Magnum, on duty and during most personal time. During a lean financial period, I was down to just the Model 58, for police duty, a Model 60 snub-gun, and a pump shotgun. I still have the Model 58, but, really, I have K/L-Frame-sized hands, so, shooting N-Frames was VERY bad for the base joint of my right thumb, and my wrist bones, and, the cylinder lock-up became loose, so I have not shot this one since about 1990 or 1991.

1990-1991, I carried a Colt Stainless Commander, on and off the clock. It started as a reliable weapon, but then became a bit finicky.

1991-1993, I carried a SIG P220, with the so-called “European” heel-clip mag release. The slower mag changes did not worry me, but that heel-clip would sometimes snag on seat cushions, partially releasing the mag. After the third or fourth time, I decided to revert to revolvers.

1993-1995, I carried a GP100, on and off the clock. I have never completely stopped carrying it, during personal time, and in retirement. I started adding more GP100 revolvers, about 2002. This is my favorite handgun system, period, being a perfect fit, in my hands.

1995-1997, I carried a 4” S&W Model 66 dash something, while on duty, and during much personal time. I added a 4” S&W Model 19, at the same time.

Starting some time in the early-‘mid-Nineties, I added a couple of Colt Government Model pistols, and carried them some of the time.

1997-2002, I carried full-sized 1911 pistols on duty, and during most personal time. This ended when I realized how much the then-mandated duty holster affected my ability to correctly depress the grip safety, at the outset of the draw stroke.

In the late Nineties, my first Jack Weigand “Tame The Beast” package SP101 snubby entered my carry equation. I continued to tote a 1911 most of the time, with the SP101 as secondary.

2002-2004 was my time to carry .40 Glocks while on duty, but I never succeeded in satisfactorily concealing them, during personal time. I added a second “Tame The Beast” SP101, and later, a particularly smooth-action SP101, with a hammer spur. From 2002-2006, my usual personal-time carry guns were these SP101 snub-guns. I have never stopped carrying them.

Somewhere during this same time frame, I added an 4” Ruger Speed Six. I still have it, and have never comepletly stopped carrying it, except for a period of time when it became a shared “house gun,” favored by my wife for home defense.

2006-2011, I tended to carry a P229 during most personal time, often with an SP101 secondary. I had started carrying a P229R as a duty pistol in 2004, but the extra bulk of the rail made it undesirable for concealed carry. I added the non-railed version in 2006. In late 2011, just before my 50th birthday, .40 recoil, plus the typically-SIG high bore axis, made shooting painful, so I brought my one remaining 1911 out of the safe. (I reckon that most of the actual damage to my thumb and wrist was done done in the Eighties, with the big-bore Magnums, held with an imperfect grip.)

2011-today: My Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, the one 1911 remaining from my 2002 transition to “modern” auto-pistols, returned to concealed-carry duties, as I started phasing .40 SIGs from my life. It was gratifying to find that the operation of the thumb safety remained instinctive/intuitive, after nearly a decade of only shooting revolvers, Glocks, and SIGs.

2012-today: 9mm Glock Gen4. The Gen3 Glocks, that I used 2002-2004, were not a good fit for my hands. At the time, it was not clear whether I would be allowed, by my PD employer, to carry Glocks with grip mods, which had driven my switch to the P229. Well, thankfully, Gen4 Glocks fit me well. In 2015, my chief OK’ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I used to carry a Taurus Model 65 .357 magnum with a four inch barrel.

Well, it wasn't actually carried much, it mainly laid around on my nightstand or in my truck's console. It's heavy!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I didn’t carry until a few years ago. My impression of THE concealed carry gun when I was a kid was a Colt Detective Special. That was because my uncle carried one when he was in the FBI.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts