Defensive Carry banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When I 1st started I worked for a PD as a reserve officer while in college. I carried either my 1911 or a BHP when not working as my duty revolver was a nickle plated S&W Model 28. There wasn't any CCW back then in RI unless you were "privileged" and had connections.

My 1st dedicated CCW gun years later while station at Ft Lewis was a SIG 230SL and I've still got it. Don't shoot it much, but can't seem to let it go:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Holy Malloy, Rexster. Your journey as a LEO sounds quite interesting; I can only imagine the stories that go along with it.

My brief time as an MP in 1970-71 could never count as LE because I was a sentry, walking a 90-pound German shepherd, so I can only say I'm a good listener when my LEO friends are willing to talk.

One of my neighbors was on the Chicago PD for 30 years, beginning in 1963, so he's seen a lot and admits to 9 shootings (won't talk about fatal shootings). He told me once that he carried three guns, a sap and a switchblade. His biggest gun was a 6" S&W 29 in a shoulder rig. Being a lefty, he carried it like Dirty Harry under his right arm pit. He also had a 1911 on his left hip in high-ride pancake holster and a J-frame in an ankle holster (inside right ankle).

He said he was kind of showing off and trying to impress some wise guys and called one over to his unmarked. The guy got a bit cute with Walt, so he went to draw that hogleg from the shoulder holster and hit himself in the chin when he pulled it up and out of the leather. Damn near knocked himself out! He and his partner drove away pretty quick before the laughter got out of hand in 'the hood'.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
My first CC handgun was a Colt 1911 5" Gold Cup. After shooting 1911 GI ones my mindset was that I wanted something that was accurate and purchased the Gold Cup. It was one of the ones with the collet barrel bushing and had an Ellison rear sight. I changed out the recoil spring from the light target weight 185 wadcutters for one that was appropriate for 230 grain bullets. Later I replaced the walnut grips with a set of Pachmayr rubber ones and thought I had the cats meow! I have always liked the way a 1911 tucked against my side and have thought the .45 ACP made a great carry round. I added a S&W M36 within a couple of months of starting carrying the 1911 and thought they made a good carry pair. It was a no dash flat latch model with diamond grips made in the late '50s I think. Sadly, both of these handguns subsequently departed during tight times, but fortunately were replaced with others. The all steel pistols and revolvers I have seldom get carry time today, but they still work great, I just don't want the weight now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I remember correctly...early 1994 ish..Browning Hi-Power Mark III and a bare bones Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Government model in stainless steel...I think that's about the same time I met OD...and found out about Ideal Fish & Game. Both pistols are long gone...still wish I had kept the Hi-Power.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Colt Govt Model 1911... Man, just reflecting on carrying that beast renews my appreciation for the weight and size of my .45 Shield EDC that much more. Had a retired USMC armorer trick out that 1911, match barrel, trigger and bushing and one very finely crafted stippling job on the backstrap and foregrip. Sticks to your hand like glue. She's fine piece for the range, and I seriously miss condition 1 carry, but I don't miss those 40 ounces of steel one bit in EDC.

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
My first carry gun was a Llama .380 POS:

Llama.jpg

Second was a stainless 2-3/4" Security Six .357:

Stainles SS.jpg

(Not my pics - both of those guns are long gone).

My third & fourth were the Combat Commander and the Beretta m84:

Combat Commander.jpg

Beretta M84_600.jpg

Today, it's the P365!

P365.jpg

61 - 79 of 79 Posts