Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.....I took the ironing board out and this is what I have. Should I call it good or try and improve on it? I would really like to have a shelf for a handgun but not sure the 5 inches deep would allow me to do that. I am no good at this kind of stuff and any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Closed it looks like a mirror to fool some. I think a real theif would notice right away. That's why I will always lock it up if we leave for any substantial time at all.

Edit-When I say lock it up, I mean the firearm in the safe. Not the mirror. LMAO!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those of you that didn't see the other thread, here's what I started with in my bedroom.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Get you a gun magnet for your pistol, and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get you a gun magnet for your pistol, and you'll be good to go.
I just googled it. That is very cool. Thank you very much. They are only 13 bucks on Amazon.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Uhhhh.......what's the weight on that bandolier.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uhhhh.......what's the weight on that bandolier.
Not sure but it isn't super light. Do you think it's to heavy for that door? I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure I could figure a way to hang it to the frame against the wall.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I just googled it. That is very cool. Thank you very much. They are only 13 bucks on Amazon.
I have one under a desk at the house. Holds a good bit of weight, and doesn't mar the finish.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Not sure but it isn't super light. Do you think it's to heavy for that door? I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure I could figure a way to hang it to the frame against the wall.
Maybe double up on the roof rafters.......

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The hinges give it away. If you could make a wood frame around it somehow, it may help disguise what it is. I haven't seen one of those ironing board cabinets in many, many years.

·
Super Moderator
24,659 Posts
How are you going to iron now?

That is a creative solution! You could move the bandolier off of the door, and then use a gun magnet on the door for your pistol.

I like what you've done. :yup:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to order the gun magnet anyway. Just because there shouldn't be something like that without me having one. But I'm going to buy a shelf and put it in so I can lay my 45 in there. Then I'm going to Ace hardware and see what kind of lock I can get on it. I know a lock won't stop a thief but it will keep the kids out of it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good to me. Now if you can just get that scatter gun to iron!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I have a better chance of getting the scatter gun to iron than my wife!

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
The bandolier is handy, but fully loaded like that, God forbid you fall into a deep puddle wearing it! I have one I used for waterfowling with maybe 25 or 30 loops, and fully loaded it felt like an anchor around my waist. But, it serves a purpose. Just practice reloading your shotgun from both the bando AND the sidesaddle, before they're ever needed.

A gun magnet is a neat idea, but you can also get a cheap nylon holster and attach it to the door or the sides of ironing cabinet with velcro. Just angle the holster so that it presents the gun at an angle and height ready to grip. Have a couple of spare magazines ready on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
8,129 Posts
Before we had a safe we used a metal cabinet and Gramps put sturdy screw in j hooks through the cabinet into the wall for the guns to hang by the bottom of the trigger guards. Fit a lot of guns along the side of that a small cabinet that way, leaving room for the long guns in the middle area. This is not a fast retrieval system - but a space saving one.

Everbilt #6 Zinc-Plated Screw Hook-14671 - The Home Depot

Just don't buy something flimsy like a cup hook, and you do not need anything massive like a bicycle hook to hold a hand gun. Since your ironing board cabinet is already screwed into the wall, all you need is a drill with the proper size bit to get through the metal which should be pretty easy. Easier than trying to mount a shelf.

We had one house with an in wall ironing board. I actually ironed things back then because it was so easy to drop the board down and not have to haul a big old ironing board out of whatever corner in which it was stashed. If I ever built a new house it would definitely have had an in wall ironing board!

(But I know way too much about house building and all the headaches that go with doing that, so we always shopped for an existing home that we could remodel ourselves and not have to go to the new home site to check on the contractors every day to see if they were building anything remotely like the plans.)

ALSO: Re a wood frame for the mirror
A wood frame will add weight to the mirror door and also the possibility of the door not opening more than a 90 degree angle. Since the opening side of the mirror is in a corner this could be a concern. If the hinge was on the side by the corner of the room it would open wider, easier with an extra frame on it. I think.

·
Registered
617 Posts
For those of you that didn't see the other thread, here's what I started with in my bedroom.
The hinges give it away. If you could make a wood frame around it somehow, it may help disguise what it is. I haven't seen one of those ironing board cabinets in many, many years.
This simple addition will go miles in making your "mirror" look just like another mirror. You won't regret putting some type of border around it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts