1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know but, do you? :wink:

EOTECH HOLOGRAM SIMULATOR CLICK HERE
On That Page Click START SIMULATOR.
Not really a game just a realistic look through & you can Mouse Click to shoot. Ya can't miss. :biggrin:

Holography is described scientifically as a wavefront reconstruction process. Unlike a camera which forms and records the two-dimensional image of an object on film, a hologram records and reconstructs the light field propagating from a three-dimensional object to the viewer. A good analogy is the recording and play back of sound. The sound waves (e.g. music) are encoded and recorded on a disk. Upon proper decoding, the original sound waves are reconstructed. With holography, the field is encoded in the form of an interference pattern and recorded as refractive index variations on a clear window. The decoding is achieved by illuminating the hologram with laser light and the light field that was propagating from the object scene to the hologram window is reconstructed. Thus, a viewer cannot tell if the three-dimensional image he sees is "live" or a holographic reconstruction.

The Holographic sight makes use of the capability of a hologram to construct a three-dimensional image to produce a reticle that is projected out to the target plane. This is achieved by using a large, high quality aberration free lens to project the pattern as illustrated. The reticle image could be of any light pattern, any geometric shape or size, and produced in either 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional form. The holographic reticle is uniformly bright and distortion-free regardless of image size. A parallax free image is created with a large and bright aiming pattern allowing quick target acquisition, particularly in close quarter combat situations. At the same time, the HWS can produce an aim point as small as the human eye can resolve to achieve the highest aiming accuracy possible without magnification.

LINK TO EOTECH HOME PAGE - CLICK HERE

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Frankly QK - I see a wee smidgeon of BS in their description - yep - the cynic in me!! LOL!

I know tho that the Eotech, Docter etc are superb sights - I also like my Bushnell Holosight but sure as heck don't see too much genuine holographic content! Not what I interpret anyways as true holography.

Oh well - bottom line for me is what works! That'll do.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Recticle

I believe the recticle is a true hologram.
You know my kinda person...I'll call them up on the phone & I'll ask them.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I don't know much about the science behind holography - all I know is I love the EoTech on my Bushy. :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I asked the question and here's what EOTech has to say about their sight:
"the sight is the only one that is a true transmission holography designed sight".

I have a 512 on my M4 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of the really 'neat' characteristics of a holographic image is that it (the image) in effect resides 'everywhere' on the film. In other words, if you take a piece of film with a single image of something say in the center, you can take scissors and cut the piece of film in half and EACH piece of film still retains the FULL image!! You can cut each of those pieces in half and on and on and EACH piece will still have the full image of the object. ! This info isn't necessarily holographically pertanent except that if you would get a bullet hole ,say in one half of the glass image piece, the reticle would still be 100% still complete and usable !! Same if a glob of mud was to cover most of the glass, the reticle would STILL once again be usable !!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, I don't believe sir, that the Doctor is a hologram. I know that the Tasco Optima,and the TRU-GLO aren't.---------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
RSSZ - you are right I am sure - I had really just brought up the ''top of the range'' red dots - re cost and quality. Must say I had not really looked into their actual image producing minutiae.

I am a bit of a ''red-dot simpleton'' :wink: - if the ''device'' makes a dot I can see and is adjustable to provide good accuracy - I am a happy camper :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
EO tech's are nice. Wish I had the extra money to spend on 1. Guess I will have to save up for 1. I like the dot is visible anywhere in the window, even with it partially covered or broken.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It's gotta be MY eyes but I can't seem to get a clear pic of the circle or dot with the EOTech's. This is the same with all the holographic sights. The non-holo dot types are perfectly clear.This is the only reason that I don't own one.-------

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
RSSZ have you ever suffered from serious eye trauma? When my father was a child he was in a nasty car accident and his left eye popped out, now he's nearly blind on that side. (Now that I'm older I feel so bad about all the times we would sneek up on his left side and scare the bejeezus out of him.) Another result of that accident is he can't see rear projection TV's and holographic displays unless he is sitting directly in front of them.

A1C Lickey

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have had some damage to both my eyes.(overpressures) Will have the doc check this out next time I'm at the NRMC. He can check that out after he checks the other "end" of me just as long as he washes his hands first.-------

·
Registered
118 Posts
One thing else I wanted to comment on above re the red dots/ holographics, but forgot was the main reason the holographic sights, ie the Eotech's, are so much better is that they are almost completely 100% parallax free whereas the standard red dots are not and even the Acog is listed as NOT parallax free. The holographic parallax free Eotech lets you move your eye off center of the sight window/red dot and still be on target whereas with others, you need to keep a pretty close centerline down the sight tube to still be on target

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
After I recently got an Eotech on the Rock River Arms Govt model I can tell you that it is a wonderus sighting device.

RSSZ, are you using the Eotech with shooting glasses? I've noticed that when I wear glasses (as we all should) the recticle is kinda blurry but distinct. Without glasses it's crystal clear.

As for parallax, it's not exact, but it's darn close to having none. At 50 yards when I move my eye around the sight, I can be off target by about 2". Pretty good but not perfect.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't use shooting glasses. The recticule always looks fuzzy and/or grainy to me in the true holo sights.The red dots don't. I thought that all sights and scopes were parallex free if they were 1X. You can (I can) mount my red dot sights as far away or as close to my eye as possible and the point of aim stays the same.ie where the red dot is,that is my POI.My AimPoint,Optima,and TruGlo sights are very good at keeping point of aim when you "put" the dot up,down,right,left. To me the red dot sights are like scopes in that,you basically get what you pay for. I have friends that have EOtechs on a varity of weapons and they all love them(especially the 1MOA mods) and can see the recticule.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
RSSX-
Maybe this is jsut me, but I would let the doc check your eyes FIRST, then let him do whatever else he needs to do.

A1C Lickey

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would let the doc check your eyes FIRST, then let him do whatever else he needs to do.
Hey now, thats not funny!! that was MY problem...
I alwayes wondered why I needed better scopes? It turned out my eye sight was going. Now I wish Leupold makes glasses and contacts. :cool:

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I sold a Smith 4506 this past weekend with one of these sights on it.. REALLY COOL.. What REALLY surprised me was the fact that a woman of 53 yrs old was buying the pistol, as she was suggested to get this particular sight, and the weapon it was seated on, due to the reliability and ease of pointability..
She knew exactly what she was lookin for. Surprised the heck outta me for sure

1 - 19 of 19 Posts