Defensive Carry banner

So what would be the alternative to the AR15?

47K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  SunTsu 
#1 · (Edited)
I already have an AR15, so some of this may be moot. Still…

I bought an AR15 recently. Lots of debate as to the reliability, function, design, etc, etc, etc and whether there is better out there. I have been following some of the threads, most notably U.S. Army Agrees That The M-4 Stinks. Many have suggested better combat rifles than the AR15. Some suggest the AK, some suggest the HK416, some suggest the gas piston Ruger, some are waiting for the Remington ACR, etc, etc, etc.

When I bought my combat rifle, I decided to go with the AR15 platform because as of right now, it is the military’s main weapon. It is ubiquitous and parts are widely available. As are accessories and extra magazines. And finally, it was substantially less expensive than a piston based rifle. I.e., $1200 for the AR15 vs. $3500 for the HK416. The parts and all the accessories are also cheaper than the alternative. For example, magazines can be purchased for about $15 each where as magazines for the HK416 are like $75 (don’t quote me. But they are substantially more expensive) and they are harder to get. Parts for the HK416 are also harder to get as well as more expensive.

So I guess it truly comes down to dollars and availability. The AR platform is much less expensive than the alternatives and easier to find parts and accessories for. Why go with a platform that would be almost impossible to maintain should TSHTF and/or more expensive to maintain on a regular basis? In an urban conflict like we would most like see here in America, the gun should work just fine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hence why I run mine.

When do you heard of people going through their AR and replacing gas rings, extractor springs, mag springs, and buffer springs? AFTER problems pop up. The stuff's cheap, it'll only cost about $30 shipped for all of the parts to get shipped to your house and should be replaced every few thousand rounds to keep it running right - just like the springs in your pistol. If they're weak, you won't get the proper functionality out of it.

Like you said, toss in the fact that the AR is by far the most popular rifle platform in the U.S.A., is the rifle/carbine of choice of our military, and police, and that any service member in the last 30-40 years knows how to run and maintain it.....why WOULDN'T you pick that platform if your reason for purchasing it is as you listed above?

That being said, I'd like to see the military switch to 6.5 Grendel and either keep the AR platform, or switch to running the ACR platform - but that's personal opinion :)

#3 ·
the versitility of the modular AR is another reason its popular.

With 2 pins you you pop off the top pop on a 20" .308 with optic and bipod change the mag and presto... you have sharp shooter rifle.

Another upper and mag change and you have a 50 cal cannon.

There are uppers that allow you to run pistol calibers like 9mm and .45 (although rare).

The uppers aren't serial numbered so you can mail order them. Its fully upgradable with drop in triggers and gadgets that would make even the pickiest mall ninja be proud to be American!

#4 ·
I really like the new HK 416, but the price is ridiculous. I love my EBR and plan on having it for a long time. It's cheap and reliable as long as it is maintained. I totally get the gripes of the guys and gals on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan, but even in AZ I am not in that kind of environment where I can't keep my rifle clean and functioning well.

#5 ·
All they need to do to the AR is drop on a gas-piston top end and their problem is solved. You then have a rifle that is just as reliable as any other gun out there.

#7 ·
Actually I've never been a fan of the AR format rifles though I can handle one and I shoot one just fine.

Years ago I made a decision to stay with the Galil because that is the rifle platform that I am most intimately familiar with.

It has some advantages over the AR15 (for me) but, it is not without some disadvantages - being heavier - plus magazines and original IMI accessories are comparatively expensive....often prohibitively so.

I feel that the advantages (again...for me) are as follows:
> It is every bit as accurate as the ARs with the correct bullet weight.
The rifling twist prefers a lighter weight bullet though it will easily handle all heavier bullet weights...just slightly minus the pinpoint accuracy.

> The receiver is milled/machined from a solid block of steel.
The barrels are incredibly tough.

> The factory iron sights are very good and SOLID and feature Tritium night sight inserts.

> Since it was originally designed/intended as a fully automatic squad weapon, it's extremely overbuilt in "semi-automatic only" mode and basically just never needs "spare parts."

> Field stripping/complete cleaning is a "walk in the park" - the rifle is not complex and there are not many parts in total.

> The action is battle proved and incredibly simple and it just gobbles up dirt and sand and it can run fine dry, dirty, and gritty.

> The original IMI trigger is good and crisp with no creep.
Mine are anyway. I've not had to do anything to improve on my triggers.

> Original IMI Factory magazines are amazingly high quality.
The 50 round magazine run just great though they will "monopod" the attached bipod because (of course) they are longer than the 35s.

> The early Magnum Research Import Galils are Uber High Quality and extremely carefully precision "fit" & built.
Back then...Israel needed to sell Galils in the U.S. in order to raise $$$ to equip their own forces with the Galil.
And they were really building them right back then.
The U.S. "parts built" clones and domestic clones are usually never as good as the original first imports.

> The optics mounting system is "rock solid" and just cannot move once it is installed.
IF you have an IMI original mount that slides into the slot milled into the steel receiver.

Question: ~ So...what will STOP you from buying a Magnum Research Galil these days?

Answer: ~ The price of the basic rifle and the cost of the accessories which will likely bankrupt you. :gah:

I bought my 2 back when they were $900.00 and change.
These days you can about triple that.

photo swiped from the web.

All that having been said....I would certainly not feel the least bit undergunned, naked, or unprotected with a good AR.
It's just that since I am already where I'm at...and completely 100% satisfied - there is no logical reason for me to shop for something else.
I'll never need anything other than what I already have.

Reactions: AzQkr
#8 ·
If it were totally up to me.

The M1a has the same battle rifle profile as an old Mauser it's as easy to learn as a hunting rifle.
Simple to maintain.
It can be configured with Socom gizmos or just left in GI configuration.
works with scopes.
.308 is a great all around cartridge.
barrel length isn't critical for performance.

There are somethings you can't beat the AR platform at.
configurability.
lightweight
and you can slap an m203 grenade tube under it.
:)

#9 ·
Alternative to the AR-15 for what? For now I'll assume you mean to replace the M16 and M4 as standard US service rifles.

Since I'm in the Christmas spirit, I'll start with my 'nice' list. I'm excited about the Remington/Bushmaster ACR. It's only slightly heavier than a NIB M4 Carbine and seems to have everything necessary to be a solid rifle. However, it's also not available. The FN SCAR is probably a more durable and reliable rifle than the AR, but it hasn't really wowed the soldiers who've handled it. I'm not a fan of the location of the reciprocating charging handle and the amount of uncovered barrel (I like longer rails, and there're some very good reasons to). The KAC SR-15 E3 looks awesome, has solid upgrades, and is priced well; there are already examples of these rifles with 20k+ rounds in short time spans. I expect it to be a good competitor to replace the M4.

My list of 'naughy' starts with the H&K 416 is too expensive for what it does and has H&K and all associated attached. The SIG 556 hasn't exactly been impressive, and I don't expect it to be any real competitor to replace the M4. The Z-M Weapons LR300/Para Tactical Target Rifle looks like a good idea, but no one's ever managed to work the bugs out of the system; if they could I think it would be a great competitor for those on the 'nice' list to replace our M4.

I can't think of any other rifles that warrant mention (I feel like I'm forgetting a couple though... :frown:). I'm not sure if LWRC fits into the 'nice' or 'naughty' list. They get mixed reviews, though those issues (CS-, QC-related) seem to be more oriented towards the beginning of the company and less an issue now. I'm not sure if they'd even try to compete to replace the M4 (they're a pretty small an outfit), but their M6 is certainly a popular rifle with many examples of very high round counts over multiple training environments. I suppose it gets honorable mention, though it's shifting more 'nice' than 'naughty'.

-B

#10 ·
NO other platform out there can beat a AR's modularity, accuracy and price for value..

NONE..

most free floated AR's will out shoot most bolt guns...

you can covert a AR15 to shoot
22lr
223WSSM
243WSSM
25WSSM
30whisper
556 Russian
762 Russian
9mm
40sw
10mm
45acp
50beo
458 socom
50bmg

with a simple upper change

and thats just the 1's i can think of, i know there are more, and thats not even counting the AR10 platforms

#50 ·
NO other platform out there can beat a AR's modularity, accuracy and price for value..

NONE..

most free floated AR's will out shoot most bolt guns...

you can covert a AR15 to shoot
22lr
223WSSM
243WSSM
25WSSM
30whisper
556 Russian
762 Russian
9mm
40sw
10mm
45acp
50beo
458 socom
50bmg

with a simple upper change

and thats just the 1's i can think of, i know there are more, and thats not even counting the AR10 platforms
I totally agree with you, an AR15/AR10 is unbeatable when you think about versatility, affordability, and accuracy. Parts are inexpensive and readily available, easy to shoot and work on. There are literally too many calibers that currently exist from .22 to .50 bmg, and any caliber that is not commercially available can be designed by a blacksmith. People that I know from the armed forces like their M4's, the problem they have is with the 5.56x45mm ammunition's stopping power. An AR type rifle can literally be the only platform you own and you would still be able to have every base covered for plinking, target, self defense, military small arms, and hunting any game on Earth. What other weapons platform can say that?

#13 · (Edited)
Funny that the AK was only mentioned in passing in the first post. I chose the AK as a SHTF platform. I didn't want a Tinker Toy project nor a rifle that wants to be coddled. Sure you can mod an AR-15 'til the cows come home, but that's a project rifle. I don't want something sitting on my workbench if I ever need it. I won't need to pick the wings off flies at 500 yards, so pinpoint accuracy is also a non-issue.

The AK is winner on all counts. It is inexpensive and the more-than-adequate 7.62 x 39 mm ammo is cheap and easy to obtain. Parts are also cheap and plentiful. I just bought five brand new Yugoslavian 30-round mags for $99 - delivered to my door in 48 hours. I also bought 1000 round brick of ammo for $239 - also delivered in 48 hours for that price. No shipping charges.

Most important of all - that AK can sit untended in my safe for years and still reliably go bang anytime I need it. I pull mine out every so often for fun range shooting, but I don't want it as a hobby. When I looked at the AR, most fans are into modding and tweaking them. I simply wanted tough, reliable, and big enough to get the job done.

Reactions: RScottie
#14 ·
I have a Golani Sporter... the price alone tells me it's not the rifle a true Galil is, but it runs like a watch (even when dirty), eats every brand of ammo I've fed it, and solid as a rock. Not quite as accurate as my AR, but I'm really, really glad I bought this rifle...

#15 ·
You obviously got a nice one with a good "in spec" receiver and Israeli IMI factory parts.

"but it runs like a watch (even when dirty), eats every brand of ammo I've fed it, and solid as a rock."
That's what you want. :yup:

Reactions: Aceoky
#16 ·
MadMac sez...

Funny that the AK was only mentioned in passing in the first post. I chose the AK as a SHTF platform.
Me too... in a SHTF situation where you've got nothing to lube your AK but a jar of mayonnaise and your own blood, that'll do...

I consider my AKs as part of what I euphemistically call my "hurricane supplies"... just hope we never have a storm so terrible that I would actually need them...

#18 ·
Me too... in a SHTF situation where you've got nothing to lube your AK but a jar of mayonnaise and your own blood, that'll do...
There are one or two trainers that have put Vagisil into student AR-15s that weren't lubed well. Some shooters love motor oil. Lube is lube, and all guns need it...

-B

#19 ·
Vagisil... OMG :rofl:

That's toooooo funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#20 ·
It really all depends on what you want to do with it and what you enjoy. Personally, I've become a bit sick of the Ar-15 as it has been shoved down my throat at every turn ad nausum. It's not a bad gun and can be configured to do a great number of things but the direct impengement system has never set right with me. Not a fan of a design that quite quickly dirties itself up. That being said, the intense modularity of the Ar-15 is undeniable and is easily what makes it so widespread on the market currently.

I honestly enjoy older military style piston driven rifles. I had a AR-180 many years ago and parted with it and have missed it ever since. The only real problem that I encounter with these kinds of guns is a lack of modularity. Attaching a scope or any other kind of accessories is a real chore and usually involves physically modifying the rifle itself which, in my opinion, diminishes the value and history of the gun.

A few months back I saw a Masterpiece Arms MPAR 556, it is a direct clone of a leader dynamics T2 MKV. It is an interesting weapon, looking equal parts like a FAL and an AR-180. A heavy duty piston driven Ar style rifle. I use it in 3 gun competitions as a rugged alternative to the Ar-15, but with most of the benefits of having a highly modular rail system.

But, really, its all about what you like.

#27 ·
The antithesis to the AR is the AK.

There are quite a few alternatives. A lot of other military forces are having great experiences with their bullpup service rifles. Then there is the fact that there are still tons of FALs, Galils, M1As, and even Garands that are still working for the men and women that have them stored at their houses (and other countries around the world).

I have spent years of my life working with marksmanship/MOUT and the AR platform, so I naturally went that direction. I have a Daniel Defense in my safe that is set up for anything that the urban environment could throw at it (I live just outside DC right now).

What I have found is that you can always create an environment in your mind that will suit a firearm that is different from the one that you own. However, one of the most dangerous things is a person who is familiar with their weapon platform, accurate with it, and willing to engage.

#31 ·
Lol no ar's will be considered in the real world. Lets look at the real world, almost everybody has one, people commonly build them, small time operations can manufacture them, if I have a broken part since they are so common I can find a replacement part without going to a store. Can a tavor do that.

Reactions: Aceoky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.