Defensive Carry banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
My carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 135gr. 38+P. It works on the street for the New York Police in their 2” and 4” off duty and back up guns. I don’t care about jello or water tests. I like the street results. I admit this info is a few years old now.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
So what is the absolute best revolver for pocket carry?

I nominate the Model 49 Smith and Wesson.

No snag issue, can use it in both DA and SA mode, conceals well, and it's reliable, will last a lifetime.

Let's see some pics.

Here is mine:

As of today... It's Charters new Pitbull XL in 45 Colt DR

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
I’m going to say the aluminum frame Colt Cobra with the factory hammer shroud.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I carry an S&W airweight. I consider it a good self-defense carry gun, but it is not a fun range gun. After about 15 rounds at the range, I'm ready to switch to another gun...ANY other gun. Lotsa recoil on my airweight.
Recently took both my S&W 638 airweight and my S&W j frame 22 to the range. First I shot half a box of lead boolit reloads through the airweight. When I tried to shoot the 22 my hand was shaking. That's never happened before. Luckily, the shakes went away. But I take that as a warning.
I'm going back to the reloading bench to make up some very light practice loads for the 638. I don't believe in punishing myself and I don't want to do any permanent harm. I'll save the heavy reloads for my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
model 15.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts

No snag issue, can use it in both DA and SA mode, conceals well, and it's reliable, will last a lifetime.

Let's see some pics.

Here is mine:

This gun wins the Beauty Contest, hands down. Those bodyguards really grow on a person. :yup:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Recently took both my S&W 638 airweight and my S&W j frame 22 to the range. First I shot half a box of lead boolit reloads through the airweight. When I tried to shoot the 22 my hand was shaking. That's never happened before. Luckily, the shakes went away. But I take that as a warning.
I'm going back to the reloading bench to make up some very light practice loads for the 638. I don't believe in punishing myself and I don't want to do any permanent harm. I'll save the heavy reloads for my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.
View attachment 223250
When I practice with my Boot Gripped 442 I shoot 50 light 38 loads then 50 Regular or +P or a mix. If I want to shoot extended amount of time I will use my 442 with Hogue Tamer Grip. For the fun days or if my wife is going to shoot, I will take a 36 or my bigger 7 Shooters. Try softer grips for practice then switch back for a few rounds.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
View attachment 223250

As a target load I'm shooting a 100gr bullet at about 650 fps. It lets me work on my shooting without the recoil tiring me out. I do end the session though with some defencive loads. This has worked well for me. I have arthritic hands and the light loads don't cause me much noticeable pain. DR

·
Registered
564 Posts
As a target load I'm shooting a 100gr bullet at about 650 fps. It lets me work on my shooting without the recoil tiring me out. I do end the session though with some defencive loads. This has worked well for me. I have arthritic hands and the light loads don't cause me much noticeable pain. DR
I've got a bunch of 105gr semi-wadcutters that I cast up for my 380. I'll use those for practice loads.

Just as a note - My target load is a 148gn wadcutter over 3.5 grains of Unique. It's a bit stout in the 638 but it sure is accurate! I would have more than a fair chance of hitting a rabbit or squirrel at 50 feet, especially if I used SA from a rest.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have to admit that I have not tried them all so can't say which is best, however IMHO, the best pocket gun of any type is the gun in my pocket when I need a gun. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
638 airweight or lcp are my pocket carry guns. the model 60 3" in SS is just too heavy.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
8,835 Posts

Let's see some pics.

Here is mine:

I got one just like it and I love it. But the one I carry for BU is a S&W 60 with a 2'' barrel, it's very good shooter.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts