Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
I'd love to get one, or an M1A, but then I see the price...and reality sets in. Are they better for fighting than, say, a .30-30 lever gun? Sure. More than 4 X better? No.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
It's a nice idea in .308.

Ol' 10thmtn throws a large bucket of the cold water of reality on it with his comment above.

No, none of these so-called "assault rifles" are four times better than a lever-action .30-30 rifle in the hands of a determined defender who knows how to shoot.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
8,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate 10thmtn!

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
I hate 10thmtn!
"Hate" is such a strong word.

:rofl:

Seriously, if you have the money, go for it. Personally, I'd rather use the money to outfit my whole family with lever guns, shotguns, or whatever. Probably have some money left over for ammo and training, to boot.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I'd love to have one, wouldn't really like to pay for one.

They seem to have corrected a lot of the things I didn't like about some of the AR-10 offerings.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I would love to have one - but for the price, I'd get a couple more FNAR's!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Looks very nice but pricey, I think I would still prefer a M-14. I think it would take more abuse. As they use to say "Takes a licking and keeps on Ticking". Now that goes back a few years.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I'd love to get one, or an M1A, but then I see the price...and reality sets in. Are they better for fighting than, say, a .30-30 lever gun? Sure. More than 4 X better? No.
True, but even if it's only, say, 1.5x better, and that extra 0.5x saves your life - then it's DEFINITELY worth 4x the price. Not that that's necessarily a likely scenario, but it's not impossible it could work out that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That price appears to be above MSRP. I would expect these to be in the 12-1300 range if you found one on a shelf. Everything is inflated right now but I doubt it is really THAT expensive as far as ARs go. 4x better than XYZ? No. But if your looking for a long range AR it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
That price appears to be above MSRP. I would expect these to be in the 12-1300 range if you found one on a shelf. Everything is inflated right now but I doubt it is really THAT expensive as far as ARs go. 4x better than XYZ? No. But if your looking for a long range AR it may be worth a look.
But the one linked above is not stock. It has some add-on furniture. So that could be ah good price. They MSRP for $1,619.00 stock. Now add up the upgrades. That would be ah decent hunting rifle. But how much harder is it to find .308 ammo vs .223/556nato? And in times of affliction too?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dang it Timmy, I wasn't planning on buying another gun.

Reactions: DefConGun

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
...That would be ah decent hunting rifle. But how much harder is it to find .308 ammo vs .223/556nato? And in times of affliction too?
Well, my recent experience has been that .308/7.62x51 has been EASIER to find than .223/5.56 - and not a whole lot more expensive, either. I've gotten .308 for $14/20 at Wally World a few times when there was no .223 to be had anywhere. On a few occasions I've been able to find .308 cheaper than the lowest-priced .223 online (excluding the steel stuff).

Besides, the .308 is just really fun!

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Good looking gun. I'll be looking for reviews in the near future.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Just an FYI--if you are looking for one, a very reputable dealer in MN (I've bought several guns from him) has one of these on Armslist for considerably less than the one linked in the first post...

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Update

Well, my recent experience has been that .308/7.62x51 has been EASIER to find than .223/5.56 - and not a whole lot more expensive, either. I've gotten .308 for $14/20 at Wally World a few times when there was no .223 to be had anywhere. On a few occasions I've been able to find .308 cheaper than the lowest-priced .223 online (excluding the steel stuff)...
The LGS has been able to keep .308 on the shelf for the last 2-3 weeks at $35/50. It's MagTech/CBC - pretty decent stuff. Reviews suggest that it's not exactly match grade, but it's fine for plinking and pest control.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts