Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
There is a Ted Talk on why things are funny. The guy who gives it is head of the Humor Research Lab, a real thing, which is acronym'ed HURL, intentionally as a double entendre. He said their research says that there are two requirements for humor: a clever violation of a norm and whether the violation is benign or malign. So something is funny when the audience sees a gag as a "benign violation" and that is different for everyone. So if a gag does not violate a social norm or rule at all, it's nothing, it's too bland and it's not funny. But if it is too much of a violation, too over the top, it is also not funny.

So if we know someone on this site is partial to bourbon, we can tease him about that and it can be funny if it's clever. However, if we suggest that same person is an irresponsible drunk, it is offensive. (Disclaimer. Any resemblance to an actual DC forum member is purely coincidental!)

Slapstick humor is based on the idea that you can assault or temporarily injure someone in clever ways, but they suffer no permanent damage. Guys are down with that, because "rough and tumble" is part of our upbringing. But for most women, that crosses the line into being a "malign violation." The very thought of physically attacking someone is not funny, because it is out of their frame of reference. For a woman to slap someone would not be a humorous situation, but a very serious one. And women are generally concerned with being the actual or potential victims of violence. On the other hand, women have a seemingly unlimited appetite for humor based on psychological torture, head games, selfishness, bitchiness and deception.

So the counter question is: "Why don't guys get RomComs?"

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Add my wife to the “I don’t get/it’s stupid crowd”....

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
My opinion for what it’s worth; I don’t find them funny because they are predictable. Most women are too smart to tolerate a grown man acting like an 8 year old boy...it’s just not funny nor witty. Doesn’t take much thought or IQ to do what they do IMHO.

Ignorance would be the word I’m thinking, or childish. Neither are actractive or funny. On the plus side, at least they do keep it clean.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey, jmf552, that is a very cogent analysis, and one with which my wife completely agrees.
Between you and HURL, I think that the question has been satisfactorily answered.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Guys are down with that, because "rough and tumble" is part of our upbringing. But for most women, that crosses the line into being a "malign violation." The very thought of physically attacking someone is not funny, because it is out of their frame of reference. For a woman to slap someone would not be a humorous situation, but a very serious one. And women are generally concerned with being the actual or potential victims of violence. On the other hand, women have a seemingly unlimited appetite for humor based on psychological torture, head games, selfishness, bitchiness and deception.

So the counter question is: "Why don't guys get RomComs?"

:rolleyes: Wow, somebody had their feelings hurt. Lot of hate right there friend.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
:rolleyes: Wow, somebody had their feelings hurt. Lot of hate right there friend.
You are way off base. Where I'm coming from is that my wife, who is the sweetest person in the world, likes "Real Housewives" "Southern Charm," The Bachelor," etc. along with millions of other women. That is all that stuff is, women being mean to other women, and they get a charge out of it. It really has nothing to do with me. The OP asked why women don't get the 3 Stooges, which is guys being rude and violent with other guys in a hilarious way. I get that.

I'm just taking an objective look at what women like to watch and what that content is. And that's what it is. And you are taking a characteristic denial response, which is to put it back on guys, taking the typical alt-feminist position, which is no social ill can ever be women's' fault. You are missing the whole point. Truth is, I have rarely had my feelings hurt by a female, and never seriously. And I don't hate women at all. My wife and I have been married for 41 years and we are very happy.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
You are way off base. Where I'm coming from is that my wife, who is the sweetest person in the world, likes "Real Housewives" "Southern Charm," The Bachelor," etc. along with millions of other women. That is all that stuff is, women being mean to other women, and they get a charge out of it. It really has nothing to do with me. The OP asked why women don't get the 3 Stooges, which is guys being rude and violent with other guys in a hilarious way. I get that.
That wasn’t made clear in your post, apology if I took it wrong. That was some strong wording you used. The TV shows you mentioned, I have a never watched them and only have heard of one of them.

All women are not alike, we don’t watch the same things nor wear the same things. Somebody mentioned women and shoes in another post/thread - Like, I own maybe 5 and had rather wear slippers. Glad you got a good tempered wife, prolly more blessed than you know.
:smile:

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. The 3 Stooges were great in their time, and even though my wife doesn't get them, I did enjoy them. Now, to get anything comparable, you have to watch CNN.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think it may come down to men and women simply having certain things that for the most part they just don't share the same enjoyment for.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Not just humor: Every male beyond puberty that I knew at the time thought Dean Martin was the ultimate in smooth, cool chick magnet. Every woman that I knew at the time thought Dean Martin was totally pointless and of no interest.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ET 72 writes...Because they were never funny.

You might represent a minority opinion here my fine friend (and that's fine, you are just a bit outnumbered)..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
We love watching Laurel and Hardy in The Music Box.

I'm not so fond of the side splitting ache I get from laughing so much.
They were old re-runs when this 70-year-old was a puppy.

So very funny, at every level.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My wife thinks it is dumb too...I just don't get how she can't find them funny
Something more recent, my friend.

There is a fabulously performed and remarkably well-written indy film called "Sideways".

It deserved more than one academy awards, and received zero.

We dudes just love it; and, our "better halves" seem to hate it. (No worries, I celebrate our opposite-gender attributes)

Recommended for your viewing pleasure.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Not just humor: Every male beyond puberty that I knew at the time thought Dean Martin was the ultimate in smooth, cool chick magnet. Every woman that I knew at the time thought Dean Martin was totally pointless and of no interest.
Actually, Dino WAS a chick magnet. His real personality was not at all like his on-screen persona, though.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts