Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Whew, very good read. My understanding of several key sciences is too limited to fully grasp it (Chemistry, physics quickly come to mind) but the idea of being flexible and adapting is easy to get. I'll have to read it a few times before I can feel confident in application but a few of the basics are immediately helpful.

Have a plan so you don't have to start from scratch when SHTF but don't be paralyzed when your plan doesn't fit the situation perfectly because it never will. I had never heard the concept of charging the threat if in close proximity but I can see how it would throw off most bad guys. On the other hand they might have thought this through and not need a moment to determine what to do. Do the unexpected and be ready for the unexpected.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting (said with the weird accent from the tv character).

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew, very good read. My understanding of several key sciences is too limited to fully grasp it (Chemistry, physics quickly come to mind) but the idea of being flexible and adapting is easy to get. I'll have to read it a few times before I can feel confident in application but a few of the basics are immediately helpful.

Have a plan so you don't have to start from scratch when SHTF but don't be paralyzed when your plan doesn't fit the situation perfectly because it never will. I had never heard the concept of charging the threat if in close proximity but I can see how it would throw off most bad guys. On the other hand they might have thought this through and not need a moment to determine what to do. Do the unexpected and be ready for the unexpected.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting (said with the weird accent from the tv character).
I incorporated the same drill years ago into the pistol training. Called "hiding behind a wall of bullets". Caught in the open with nowhere close for cover taking incoming, the safest place at that moment in time may be behind a wall of bullets as you advance and are closing the distance. If they root, they're getting nailed, and if they alight to avoid being hit with multiples a second, their own shots are more apt to be errant. It resets their OODA, making them react to the hail of lead pouring in on them.

This is not suppressive fire, it's multiple aimed shots fired on threat as you hide behind the wall of bullets you've created. Hiding in plain sight. Of course, it's best to have a high capacity rather than low capacity mag when choosing that tactic.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I like the AoM. I used to listen to his podcast every time, but I had to pare some down due to sheer numbers of episodes (I was downloading more podcast episodes than there was time to listen to them - even if I NEVER slept).

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
A road on Maxwell AFB is named OODA Loop for a good reason. Boyd's contributions are still influencing military operations. Getting within the enemy decision cycle, kill chain timing reduction, blue force tracker tools, employment of CAOCs and JTFs, intel processing methods, etc., were inspired by Boyd. Truly an American hero.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've read Boyd's book twice. I know I'll get roasted for saying this, but I read it twice because I can't believe how awful it was - trite, self-serving, the worst kind of pseudo-intellectual hogwash.

I know, I know... but that's my opinion. Ugh. it was painful to read.

·
Premium Member
33,749 Posts
I've read Boyd's book twice. I know I'll get roasted for saying this, but I read it twice because I can't believe how awful it was - trite, self-serving, the worst kind of pseudo-intellectual hogwash.

Which book are you referring to?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Refer to post 10, it's not just theoretical hogwash, the information is being executed/trained to advantage by our military.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts

Boyd had an ego problem, which certainly held him back and remains an impediment to reading most of his work. Even late in life he sniped about some of the grudges he held rather than moving on. With a little more humility he may have accomplished far more and made fewer enemies.

His continual push to force officers to make better and faster decisions by evaluating the decision making process left a mark though, and he served his country well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Which book are you referring to?
I think he may be referring to Robert Coram's book, "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War"

Personally, I liked the book. John Boyd seemed pretty disagreeable. According to the book he sounded off-putting and abrasive. However, he also sounds like he driven, bright and insightful. He sounds like someone smart enough to converse easily with PhDs and engineers about designing weapons while also engaging to talk to pilots and soldiers who will use those weapons to fight for their lives. A warrior-scholar. Though the book may be a bit one-sided in its storytelling, I am still glad to have read it and to be introduced to Col. Boyd and his OODA loop.

·
Administrator
143,350 Posts
Hopefully you realize for most members complex in depth understanding of OODA without it coming across as incomprehensible gobbledegook is akin to offering up a precise description of Tao/Tao Chi Ching/Lao Tzu or writing a paper to describe Mozart Symphony No 40 in G Minor to a completely deaf human being. It's a damn near impossible task.
But, hopefully some who survive to the end of the provided link will be able to glean some useful/atypical alternatives to mundane or ordinary thinking.
Some of the more direct applications to the fluidity of situational awareness thinking and the disruption of the threat loop in order to garner precious moments to act would be incredibly helpful.

Some will either grasp it, a portion of it, or....they won't. Such is the stuff that forum life is made of.

Some will grab enough of the general gist of it to making the reading of it worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
33,749 Posts
I think he may be referring to Robert Coram's book, "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War"

Personally, I liked the book. John Boyd seemed pretty disagreeable. According to the book he sounded off-putting and abrasive. However, he also sounds like he driven, bright and insightful. He sounds like someone smart enough to converse easily with PhDs and engineers about designing weapons while also engaging to talk to pilots and soldiers who will use those weapons to fight for their lives. A warrior-scholar. Though the book may be a bit one-sided in its storytelling, I am still glad to have read it and to be introduced to Col. Boyd and his OODA loop.
Focused, intelligent and driven people often lack the subtle social nuances needed for general likeability. Many examples in history come to mind.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully you realize for most members complex in depth understanding of OODA without it coming across as incomprehensible gobbledegook is akin to offering up a precise description of Tao/Tao Chi Ching/Lao Tzu or writing a paper to describe Mozart Symphony No 40 in G Minor to a completely deaf human being. It's a damn near impossible task.
But, hopefully some who survive to the end of the provided link will be able to glean some useful/atypical alternatives to mundane or ordinary thinking.
Some of the more direct applications to the fluidity of situational awareness thinking and the disruption of the threat loop in order to garner precious moments to act would be incredibly helpful.

Some will either grasp it, a portion of it, or....they won't. Such is the stuff that forum life is made of.

Some will grab enough of the general gist of it to making the reading of it worth the effort.
Most have read that self defensive with a firearm is a thinking mans game, somewhere in their readings.

It is. So if one can't put their thinking cap on and understand how to gain advantage, they themselves can be seriously disadvantaged.

My sig line isn't just some catchy phrase I came up with. :bier:

·
Premium Member
33,749 Posts

For some, the endless five-shot-snubbie-is-all-I'm-ever-gonna-need/I-don't-care-if-my-gun-prints roundy-round is as complex and thought-provoking as it gets. That said, much of what I have come to understand has been the result of insight gained with its beginning to be found in a thread put up by a true expert and consisting of maybe six or seven posts. There are people on this forum who know some stuff. They are the ones I pay the closest attention to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts