1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I haven't figured out how to spend that last $20 COLA I got.
A pint & a half pint come to mind. (no clue on prices now!) Mine goes to the groceries I'd be buying anyway! Speaking of which, the jerks have failed to auto-deposit this month's ck. so far! AND, still NO TRUMP CK. EITHER!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/coronavirus-social-security-cola-2021

In the meantime, the Federal Reserve Chairman is telling the government to spend as much money as they want to keep the economy afloat. Meantime, we retirees won't see any COLA next year. Seems to me that giving us a COLA would help the economy. That's government wisdom for you.

Why would the government give more money to people who worked for their benefits and paid into the system for decades? Silly boy, increases are only for welfare recipients.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
A pint & a half pint come to mind. (no clue on prices now!) Mine goes to the groceries I'd be buying anyway! Speaking of which, the jerks have failed to auto-deposit this month's ck. so far! AND, still NO TRUMP CK. EITHER!
MY deposits go straight to the Jim Beam distillery. They auto-ship directly to me.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I have direct deposit at the LGS.
Yeah.Me too !! Every month, it seems like Christmas money....LOL... You're as bad as I am! Ohh Wait! Let me think about that... I'm sure we can find a few others who have the same issues!:biggrin2:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
Various
15,483 Posts
I have direct deposit at the LGS.
Yeah.Me too !! Every month, it seems like Christmas money....LOL... You're as bad as I am! Ohh Wait! Let me think about that... I'm sure we can find a few others who have the same issues!:biggrin2:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had to quit working part-time at the LGS. I owed them money every payday.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/coronavirus-social-security-cola-2021

In the meantime, the Federal Reserve Chairman is telling the government to spend as much money as they want to keep the economy afloat. Meantime, we retirees won't see any COLA next year. Seems to me that giving us a COLA would help the economy. That's government wisdom for you.
you can't put the words "government" and "wisdom" in the same sentence, unless there's a negation between them.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
MY deposits go straight to the Jim Beam distillery. They auto-ship directly to me.
When the Japs took ownership of Jim Beam, I switched to Makers or Woodford Reserve.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
339 Posts

No but Congress gave themselves a $8,000.00 raise.....talking about being pious and do like I say not like I do attitude!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
No but Congress gave themselves a $8,000.00 raise.....talking about being pious and do like I say not like I do attitude!
No, they didn't. There was a portion allocated for expenses of the House - telecomms and such.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
When the Japs took ownership of Jim Beam, I switched to Makers or Woodford Reserve.
Of the three, I'll stick with Beam. If I don't own the company, it really doesn't matter to me who does.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What I don't understand is after I begin to draw SS and retire, if I go back to work the gov't. still takes out SS from my paycheck and also gets my employer's matching money. Then to top it all I have to pay income tax on the SS money I receive. That is just kicking a guy while he's down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't figured out how to spend that last $20 COLA I got.
Why would anyone expect a social security payment to go up once the annuity is started? I have a defined benefit plan with an old employer and it is set in stone. I also receive less because my spouse will get part of it after I die. If she dies first, I don’t get the increase.

If you look back, the average maximum salary taxed over the last 45 years was about $60,000. The average tax rate was 12%. So, on average we contributed $7,200 per year for about 45 years. The total is about $320,000. Using the rule of 72 and a t bill interest rate of 3%, the money would double every 24 years. So, it would increase by 1.87 times the average investment of $160,000. Very roughly the investment would be worth approximately $480,000.

The average life expectancy of a 65 year old is now about 20 years. So, take the 480,000, add an increase of 120,000 for the half remaining balance during the 20; years. You get $600,000 divided by 240 months. Or about $2500 per month.

That number is about what I will get. My ex will get another $1250 per month and she only worked two years her entire life. Someone has to pay for my ex wife. Why should I expect someone else to pay for a COLA.

Yes, I am a fiscal conservative that doesn’t think everyone else should take care of me or anyone else. I don’t think my ex deserves anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts