Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your experience what is the softest shooting 45 alive. I will like to confine the answers to 4.25 barrel or commander size since I am in that market right now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My "softest" shooting .45's in a 4.25" barrel would be my Stainless Steel Springfield Champion (4") or my SIG 220 with a 4.5" barrel.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
45ACP is generally a soft shooting cartridge. If you want something soft shooting as possible, pick a heavy frame and longer barrel. I doubt you'd notice much difference between X and Y brand pistol with comparable weights and barrel lengths.

·
Registered
383 Posts
45ACP is generally a soft shooting cartridge. If you want something soft shooting as possible, pick a heavy frame and longer barrel. I doubt you'd notice much difference between X and Y brand pistol with comparable weights and barrel lengths.
This is a good answer ^^^^^. Unless you get into micro size like aluminum Kimber 3" the 4" barrels 1911 all steel, they will all be pretty close. My Glock 30 is soft and so is my Sig P220. Also my Shield 45 and Xd-s isn't so bad. It's really how the 45 cartridge is.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Yep. An all stainless 1911 or P220 should do the trick.

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Stainless 1911 long slide (6") variant. With the recoil spring tuned to a pet load (...and someone else on the trigger). :biggrin2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
The PPQ is the softest shooting Polymer 45 I've had the pleasure to shoot. My Ed Brown all steel 1911 is a nice firm push when it recoils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
For me the 2 softest shooting .45's were the older Sig P-220 and the Ruger P-90. Just my .02 worth!:smile:

Reactions: Buckeye63

·
Registered
448 Posts
I only have 2 45s, a glock 30sf and a Kimber Ultracarry. The 30sf fits your criteria, the Ultra does not. But to me, neither of them is particularly troublesome as far as recoil is concerned.

Another data point: My 120 pound daughter prefers the Kimber over the glock, but then again she prefers the Sig P938 over the Glock 19, both 9mm but the 19 being a much bigger and heavier pistol. In both cases, she feels like the Kimber and the p938 "kick less". What this tells me is that physiology, training, strength, and personal preference may very well affect "perceived" recoil. YMMV

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
4.6'' barrel
Gun tests Magazine did a test in the May 16 issue of 10mm pistols: Glock 20, Sig 220, RIA Tac.
The 20 was "the softest shooter"

I'm gonna say this applies to the 21 as compared to a Sig 220 or full size 1911 using the same ammo.
If you want smaller then 30SF.

Edit: it (software) inexplicably will not allow the T in Gun tests to remain a capital.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My FNX45 Tactical is amazingly soft shooting...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Out of all the .45's I have tried (and that is a LOT), the softest shooting is the H&K Mark 23.

Then again, you're probably not looking for a crew served pistol....so my suggestion would be the H&K 45 (full sized version). It is lighter than a steel framed 1911, but the excellent ergonomics make it seem (at least to me) that there is less felt recoil than a 1911.

·
Administrator
144,732 Posts
I would agree that you should probably be looking at HK.

·
Super Moderator
19,112 Posts
The softest shooting 45 I have is a 6-inch S&W Model using either 45ACP and moon clips or 45Auto Rim. :image035:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 39 Posts