Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that thinks a flash 2 is a perfect edc/emergency tactical knife? I really like the size and deep carry pocket clip. I need to get a good sharpener to get a razor edge on it but that's another thread.

-Jason

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
This tread is good. Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

·
Administrator
144,198 Posts
It's a nice knife. I used a small ball of Epoxy putty to permanently cement the safety into the OFF position.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I like the knife. The Edge Pro would be a great investment, too. It's about as good as it gets for sharpening. I've got an Edge Pro Professional model and probably 60 aftermarket stones and I can get a kitchen knife nearly to the point where it shaves like a well sharpened straight razor with the EP.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I too carry a Sag Flash2 with no serrations. Wife carries a sog flash. Changed to it a few years back. Good all around blade that holds a good edge and still easy to stone sharp again. I tend to use a diamond stone on ours. I also glued the safety lock in an open position.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I've had a SOG Flash2 for about 10 years. I carried it religiously for about 3 years and I never had the lock activate on it's own volition. Is that really a problem for you guys? Did I just get lucky?

Great knife, though it feels a bit flimsy to me now after moving on to Benchmade and Zero Tolerance folders.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a SOG Flash2 for about 10 years. I carried it religiously for about 3 years and I never had the lock activate on it's own volition. Is that really a problem for you guys? Did I just get lucky?

Great knife, though it feels a bit flimsy to me now after moving on to Benchmade and Zero Tolerance folders.
It locked itself a lot for me. I didn't want to be caught in that situation.

-Jason

·
Administrator
144,198 Posts
Mine locked itself a couple of times and that was enough times for me.

The knife that I carry most often though is the SOG Pentagon Elite II because I prefer the longer 5" blade.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I will say that I think the lockwork of the SOG knives is a little flimsy feeling compared to a Kershaw or Spyderco. The SOGs are a little faster to deploy at the expense of not being as robust. The main reason I don't carry mine at all is that by and large SOG uses pretty pedestrian steels. I'm a knife nerd and a steel snob; VG-10 is the floor for me, and I generally won't buy a knife if the steel isn't at least that good. I wish that M390 was used in more knives. Right now it's about my favorite steel.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I am a huge SOG fan that being said the FlashII is a great edc blade. I actually own 4 of them but I have switched to the Mini Aegis for edc I like it's blade shape and the tip better for edc I also carry the full size Aegis from time to time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard many reports of blade play with the SOG Flash II (and some other SOG models). Some say it's not a huge deal but others are very disappointed. I myself have experienced some blade play but for the price I was satisfied overall.
Still prefer Spyderco any day of the week however.... :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
My Sog Toothlock has VG10 steel and zero blade play. Probably the best 100 bucks I ever spent. Can't comment on the flash 2. I havn't had the chance to hold one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts