Votes: 15 30.6%
  • hollowpoint

Votes: 34 69.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let's just say for argument's sake that if you only had a .22lr caliber rifle for home defense (kind of a reach..but if) which ammunition would you choose to conscript into an emergency last ditch better than being unarmed home defense weapon ?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
A .22 will need all the help it can get.

A HP will creat a nasty wound and the bullet often breaks up and creats other wound channels.

The added pentetration from being shot out of a rifle ought to help...

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Actually, if a .22 rifle was all that I had, I'd mix CCI Mini-Mag HP's with solids. Get the maximum advantage of both.

If in my home, I'd empty the magazine into both body and head.

·
Registered
737 Posts
CCI Mini-Mags. I think they stand the best chance of doing maximum damage as any .22 round out there.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I think actually I would stick with HP's - while a marginally lighter bullet, and of coarse more quickly deformed, I still favor the slight expansion and possible fragmentation. Bone will be a problem for both in some areas - frontal bone is a good example.

I accept penetration will not be stellar all the time but am thinking we would be probably loosing off more than several!! Other reason for HP's is the IMO more obvious impact effect - I found this on rabbits - much greater immediate effect - whereas solids were slow to do anything by comparison.

I know we can't compare that small of a critter to a two legged one but - I'll still take the HP's anyways!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mine are loaded with the "Quick Shot" pre-frag stuff, if you go with the HP, go the extra mile and make sure you clean out the grease in the nose.. Best solid to use would be some thing along the line og the CCI game getters

·
Registered
862 Posts
If I had onlyy a .22lr for home defence. I would use a baseball bat.

But for argument's sake, I would use CCI Velocitors. Wich is HP.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
10-22, 30 rnd mag, use all 30, don't think it really matters

·
Registered
940 Posts
If all I had was a 22 for home defense, I'd wonder who ripped me off and how many trips it took to take it all away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I voted hollowpoint

like I said in the original post..it's a reach:9:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well our HP .22cal are generally 40 gr and the HP design is not exactly a super secret design, I think they just drilled a hole into the top and called HP. I was using HV .22cal HP as the HV stuff is the only thing that reliable works in a semi. Lately I have been using Winchester dynapoints from Walmart, but they discontinued them and now looking for another round. Bought about 8 different types to try out, but our local range is closed over a dispute with the regional district, hopefully to open soon.

I tried the Remington “thunderbolts”, lots of misfire even with a good primer strike. I have a clone of the woodsman, would make a good defensive gun for my wife at home.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
depends on the job....
rabbit or squirrel....solid
person... solid ( but I would like to see what quik-shok and velociraptor (?) would do to a human. snubby and rifle-wise

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
What would you consider Federal's Expandable Full Metal Jacket to be? EFMJ? It isn't a hollowpoint so would you consider it solid?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In personal tests on groundhogs (I know, they aren't human), I have had the best results with CCI Stinger ammo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts