Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if anyone here wasn't able to get some HPs for their 9mm, sgammo.com finally got quite a few in...at today's prices...not good but it is some. They haven't had much, either, and have always been reasonable...bet they're paying more than they used to also. I know most of us looked ahead, but some newbies might not have. It's time to bite the bullet while there are bullets to bite!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Whoa, not at those prices. I mean if you had none maybe somebody is desperate enough. I better hang onto anything I have now.
The last 200 rounds of JHP I bought last week in 9mm for .42 a round and it looks they want 1.40 at SG?

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been hunting for weeks...first it was .64, then .70+, for this week I haven't seen fmj lower than .90 and more 1.00 and 1.40.

Please share where you found JHP for .42 a week ago?

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I've been hunting for weeks...first it was .64, then .70+, for this week I haven't seen fmj lower than .90 and more 1.00 and 1.40.

Please share where you found JHP for .42 a week ago?
Local farm supply store and I grabbed all of the 9mm they had, all their 38 special FMJ and their last 3 boxes of 12 gauge #6 hunting loads. They had not changed their prices since they got the ammo in pre covid.
Sometimes people forget who sells ammo here. Our LGS was cleaned out mostly from non locals driving to every small towns LGS to find bargains. Same thing happened in the first TP shortage. The farm store still had RV TP that most forgot about. We have an industrial tool supply store that sells ammo too but, its all under the counter so unless you know you miss out. I got their last 3 boxes of Golden Saber 125 +P 38 special and 4 boxes of 30.06.
I gave up trying to find good prices online about July when I bought a few thousand FMJ before the great price hikes. Looking back I should have bought more.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I bit the bullet and paid .50/round for 200 rounds of .380 WWB . Aaaack.
Got 100 rounds of .45 Winchester HP for .55/round a couple weeks ago at a LGS. Now nobody's got any .45 anywhere, it seems, except some outlandish $2/ round "deals."

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
I also am kicking myself for not ordering at least one more case of the ammo we regularly use when Gramps told me to do that. After all, we had plenty for regular use for another year or year and a half............but half of a year has gone by since the prices started going up and up, and no end in sight at all. What I do order now is the lowest of the inflated prices that I can find, and that is to share with my 2 buddies for our 'we 3' groups each week. We have cut way back on the number of rounds each week, doing a lot of short SD drills, but still using ammo.

This little group is way more than shooting for me: It is what keeps me going many weeks, giving me incentive to get up and out on that one day a week, even if I don't feel very good. I could go without shooting for a few weeks, but not sure I would do so well without being with these two wonderful women. Realistically, there is only so much dry fire practice we can do. I wonder how they feel about "tea and crumpets.............????"

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All-Bran muffins!!! Slathered in real butter. Mama'd bake a dozen and we kids thought it was cupcakes!!!

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
All-Bran muffins!!! Slathered in real butter. Mama'd bake a dozen and we kids thought it was cupcakes!!!
Are we supposed to load our magazines with bran muffins? OR Are you off your meds?

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I still hit the range and shoot a little 9mm or 45 acp but finish up with a bunch of 22lr. I have a local store that sells ammo when they get at decent prices. I picked up 500 rounds of 22lr last week for $24.99.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are we supposed to load our magazines with bran muffins? OR Are you off your meds?
You said "Tea and crumpets"...crumpets aren't NEARLY as good as All-Bran muffins!!! If I were off my meds, I'd be gasping like a guppie on a beach towel...lungs,

·
Registered
18,971 Posts
Just loaded up another 200 rounds of 45 auto to go with the 550 handloads I already have. Got plenty of factory 9mm on hand, and pretty much a never ending supply of 38 spl, so I’m good.

Still, I’m pretty conservative and get my shooting fix and staying sharp with the expenditure of a few rounds for drills a couple of times per week. Even so, with it being hunting season, I have not done any practice this week at all, and probably won’t next week either. I’ve never really been one to just burn up ammo just to be shooting anyway, at least for the last year or so.

Id rather just keep putting the money aside for ammo and supplies for when the prices and products return than spend it on the outrageous prices being asked right now.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a Rock Chucker setup in about 73...loaded .38 and .44 Spl...couldn't afford the outfit when I bought it, but SURE couldn't afford to sell it, which I did in 1980...and I've been paying for it ever since. I was more than ready for this mess...have given to friends/family more than I still have, and it's not hurting me personally, but how 'bout those who didn't lay in plenty and don't reload either...tough times...any squirrel knows...oh well.

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
Doing overnight gun show security tonight, first security gig since February.

There's a carton of 500 Winchester "white box" 115 grain FMJ 9mm on an exhibitor's table for $449.99 ... right next to a 500 ct. carton of CCI Standard Velocity .22 Long Rifle for $99.99.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
You said "Tea and crumpets"...crumpets aren't NEARLY as good as All-Bran muffins!!! If I were off my meds, I'd be gasping like a guppie on a beach towel...lungs,
OOPS -- Sorry! That's what happens when you don't quote the previous post. and Mrs. Old Brain has had a bad day.

I hate to brag, but I make muffins, the name of which is "Meal in a Muffin," and they have some of your bran, along with about 12 other ingredients. No wheat flour, no oil and no refined sugar - just wonderfully delicious things that happen to be healthy (but don't tell anyone!) They taste a little like the best carrot cake you've ever eaten but are more dense. For breakfast you eat them as is. For dessert I make an icing that tastes identical to cream cheese icing, but made with drained yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla.

And now back to complaining about the price of ammo..............carry on folks.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doing overnight gun show security tonight, first security gig since February.

There's a carton of 500 Winchester "white box" 115 grain FMJ 9mm on an exhibitor's table for $449.99 ... right next to a 500 ct. carton of CCI Standard Velocity .22 Long Rifle for $99.99.
Many's the time I went to the 7-11 near my house and hocked my silver dollar to buy a red/white box of Rem LRHP till payday...$1 for a box now would be NICE!

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OOPS -- Sorry! That's what happens when you don't quote the previous post. and Mrs. Old Brain has had a bad day.

I hate to brag, but I make muffins, the name of which is "Meal in a Muffin," and they have some of your bran, along with about 12 other ingredients. No wheat flour, no oil and no refined sugar - just wonderfully delicious things that happen to be healthy (but don't tell anyone!) They taste a little like the best carrot cake you've ever eaten but are more dense. For breakfast you eat them as is. For dessert I make an icing that tastes identical to cream cheese icing, but made with drained yogurt, maple syrup and vanilla.

And now back to complaining about the price of ammo..............carry on folks.
YEAH, leave me droolin' down my shirt here...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts