Defensive Carry banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
Yeah, I remember my huntin' cousin and I buying .22 ammunition for .50 cents a box from a 7-11 there in Wedgewood in Fort Worth where he lived and that wasn't such a "deal." Can't recall what brand they were, Federal comes to mind. We also bought shotgun shells from them during dove season; Alcan Skeet Max No. 9 it was, for $1.99 per box. Couldn't afford the high brass Remington Express we thought we needed for they were something like $4.25 per box. Always 25 rnd. boxes back then. Never this piddly 10 round business.

What is amusing is that this was after 1968 and we were still well under age. Guess they hadn't received word on selling to minors. We never knew we were getting away with something.

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I had not reloaded 9mm in years. But when my kids or I could not find any, any where, I broke out an old die set. I had all the components. 9mm takes the same bullets, powder, and primer as 38 Super. And I had to remember that there was some fine tuning to get the tapered case just right. But now I'm turning out factory perfect looking ammo, that shoots as good as any bulk ammo.
Once the price gets back to normal, I will be happy to buy ammo again. There is not a lot of savings in loading 9mm! DR

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have brass, primers, powder, and cases. If you can lift the ammo can with struggling it's time to roll some more.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, I remember my huntin' cousin and I buying .22 ammunition for .50 cents a box from a 7-11 there in Wedgewood in Fort Worth where he lived and that wasn't such a "deal." Can't recall what brand they were, Federal comes to mind. We also bought shotgun shells from them during dove season; Alcan Skeet Max No. 9 it was, for $1.99 per box. Couldn't afford the high brass Remington Express we thought we needed for they were something like $4.25 per box. Always 25 rnd. boxes back then. Never this piddly 10 round business.

What is amusing is that this was after 1968 and we were still well under age. Guess they hadn't received word on selling to minors. We never knew we were getting away with something.
My dear old departed Mama's signature appears in the state book(now called bound book) at my old LGS that was 2 blocks from home...many times. She was never in that store. Money talks. That came to a screeching halt the day before the 68 Abomination went into effect, but it worked for awhile.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Last time out I got some 9mm FMJ for $18.99 a box of 50. About 3 weeks ago. I also saw Gold Dot for $44.95 for a box of 50.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I've been wanting to get my wife shooting my Security Six, but knew she couldn't handle the Mags. Accordingly, I've been looking for FMJ .38 for awhile, finally got a couple of boxes locally for $28/box. Not great, but now at least she can get familiar with the weapon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just bought and received in less than a week, some double ended coated wadcutters for the .38 snub. Great price and fast shipping. They shoot to poa perfectly and since it's impossible to find good hollowpoints either loaded or as components, I decided to do things the old way for now.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts

I can recall paying $ .39 for a box of 22 cal long rifle ammo in 1964. Yes, I'm a old man.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just bought and received in less than a week, some double ended coated wadcutters for the .38 snub. Great price and fast shipping. They shoot to poa perfectly and since it's impossible to find good hollowpoints either loaded or as components, I decided to do things the old way for now.
You just reminded me I used to reload hollow based wadcutters upside down with Bullseye...many moons ago.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts